Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After going to Bantam the wife has agreed I need to upgrade my 08 JKUX. I have read and read and read some more. I have it narrowed down to either the Rock Krawler 2.5 or 3.5 xfactor kits. One of the OME leaning towards the 2" or the teraflex 2.5 without shocks. I plan on upgrading bumpers and adding a winch as well. Tire wise I'm thinking the 285/75r17 Trail Grappler. I had a set of Terra Grapplers on my old F150 and liked them. I have also debated a 35x12.5r17. It will be split 80/20 DD/trails. I can't say I have ruled out 37s in future completely yet. I know I'll need to regear from the 3.73 to something bigger and am debating lockers as well while the axels are getting done. From all the reading the kits seem about a draw. The Rock Krawler does seem to be the most complete and I know I need shocks I'm debating between bilsteins or ranchos

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
Since you have a 4dr, and only want a 2.5...consider the 2.5 RK max travel or flex. RK is having a special for the month of July and they just released new goodies (triple rate coils, krawler joints, and flex joints). As for gearing on a pre 2012...the lower the better. Look for the gearing chart for your application. Be advised, they are just guesstimates and will differ depending on your exact setup, so pick accordingly. It's best to do the lockers at the same time. You don't want to pay twice.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
It's a slippery slope... and one that needs to be thought about.
Something like 33's you might find tolerable with 3.73 gears and be able to stick with your stock Dana 30/44 combo.
35's you'll want to sleeve and gusset your front dana 30 and regear your axles and they SHOULD be ok. But going to a dana 44 would be the safe bet.
37's you'll want to scrap that dana 30 and go to at least a built 44...
selectable lockers will run you close to $1000 a piece and a regear at least $7-800 per axle. I suggest thinking hard about what you want and what your end goals are to avoid sinking money to parts you may replace down the road.
Remember the bigger you go the more you're driving characteristics change in favor of off road use, and on road characteristics suffer. Price also increases accordingly (tires, gears, axles etc) as you go up in tire size.
Having said all that I run an RK lift on my 2dr and have been very pleased with it. Stiffer ride on road but off road it's great, soaks up harsh bumps very well and have only managed to bottom out the coils over hard hits a couple times.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was figuring 2000 per axle for regear and lockers and had started looking at D44 at the very least already. From all the reading I have done I'm trying to figure out where the return on investment starts diminishing. I will say this Jeep will be the little ones first Jeep when he turns 16 in 7 years. He has already claimed it from me. Upgrading a Jeep is new to me and I do subscribe to the buy once cry once motto. Years of shooting have taught me that. I also know at least in shooting the return on investment becomes smaller the more you spend. I'm just wondering what point that shows up in Jeeps. Thats why I'm looking at the 285/75 the 34 seems like a nice compromise to start.

·
Super Moderator
14,523 Posts
The 285/75-17 was the inspiration for building my Jeep. I ended up heading in the direction of 295/70-17 because it's my wife's DD and I can't do enough damage to it to keep it off of the road. So full on rock build with 37's isn't/wasn't an option. Plus we (she) like the overland style builds the best...

Here was my first inspiration with the 285/75's on a TF 3" lift:

But I drifted in this direction:

Best of luck in whatever you choose!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
I was figuring 2000 per axle for regear and lockers and had started looking at D44 at the very least already. From all the reading I have done I'm trying to figure out where the return on investment starts diminishing. I will say this Jeep will be the little ones first Jeep when he turns 16 in 7 years. He has already claimed it from me. Upgrading a Jeep is new to me and I do subscribe to the buy once cry once motto. Years of shooting have taught me that. I also know at least in shooting the return on investment becomes smaller the more you spend. I'm just wondering what point that shows up in Jeeps. Thats why I'm looking at the 285/75 the 34 seems like a nice compromise to start.
Depends how you're referring to return on investment?
Return to you for your uses?
Do whatever makes you happy and works for how you use it
Return on investment for resale? Pretty minimal with any mods really, you'll never get close to your investment back.
From your earlier post it doesn't sound like resale is a big concern to you so I'd say mod however you see fit to make your Jeep suit your lifestyle

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Depends how you're referring to return on investment? Return to you for your uses? Do whatever makes you happy and works for how you use it Return on investment for resale? Pretty minimal with any mods really, you'll never get close to your investment back. From your earlier post it doesn't sound like resale is a big concern to you so I'd say mod however you see fit to make your Jeep suit your lifestyle
Is it worth while to dump a few thousand into the current axels or just run 35s through winter on the stock gearing and axels with a programmer and then next year just pick up a better set front and rear. It just seems 4000 into both axels now at least to possibly upgrade them later seems like a small return or is the d44 worth keeping for 37s

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Is it worth while to dump a few thousand into the current axels or just run 35s through winter on the stock gearing and axels with a programmer and then next year just pick up a better set front and rear. It just seems 4000 into both axels now at least to possibly upgrade them later seems like a small return or is the d44 worth keeping for 37s
Most agree that dana 44's are fine with 37's, upgrade the shafts, truss sleeve and gusset the front and the 44's will hold up well.
Personally for the cost I would try and find a front dana 44 then regear it and your rear to match. If you're already thinking 37's may be in your future I recomend avoid spending money on your dana 30 and start saving for a 44.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts