Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Jeep J/K 75th Anniversary Edition
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day! Looking for a little direction on the following for my 2016 Jeep J/K 75th Anniversary edition. Im looking for a quality, budget friendly tire/lift/leveling kit combo that will allow me keep my existing wheels (to maintain the 75th anniversary look and feel). The below 2 door is currently what I am working with. The 4 door shown was what I was thinking.

Recommendations appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 JKU 75th Edition, 2" Mopar lift 1" spacer lift, Ultimate Dana 44 front, Front and rear locker,
322 Posts
I have a 2016 JKU 75th edition and had to get new rims. I liked the ones that came with the Jeep but they are two narrow for much larger tires. You can find some shops that will mount larger tires on those rims but some will not. I went with a 9" wide rim so I could run taller and wider tires.

·
Super Moderator
8,327 Posts
Welcome!

What tapper25 said ^^^^. Either new wheels or find a narrow tire. Stock wheels iirc are around 7.5 wide. To run a 12.5 wide tire generally your wheel should be around 9 wide. Sure some folks will tell you it's fine to run a 12.5 wide on stock wheels, but this is outside of manufacturer recommendations, and the better tire shops won't even mount them. So ideally what you should be looking for is a pizza cutter of you want to go larger and keep stock wheels (thats what they call tall narrower tires) - I know there are some but I am not familiar with them.

The type and size of lift should be determined by tire size and vehicle use.

Reactions: Robwilli13

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm a fan of the teraflex leveling kit that includes 2" front and 1" rear spacers along with longer sway bar end links. There are many options that provide similar lift/leveling for under $200 and no need for new shocks, though new shocks will smooth the ride significantly. Also, Rancho offers a 2" suspension with springs, shocks, brake line extensions, etc for ~$400 that lots of folks really like.

From there, you can install 285/70-17 tires on stock wheels but the extra width requires 1.5" wheel spacers for about $100 a pair. Alternatively, you could go with a 255/70-17 tire on stock wheels without the need for wheel spacers.

·
Registered
3,409 Posts
You can put Daystar 0.75" coil spacers in the front to raise your front a little and do Rubi size tires. Nothing to regear or worry much about geometry. Cheap lifts on Jeeps are the reason you see stickers out there with not all who wander are lost theme :)

·
Registered
2016 Jeep J/K 75th Anniversary Edition
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm a fan of the teraflex leveling kit that includes 2" front and 1" rear spacers along with longer sway bar end links. There are many options that provide similar lift/leveling for under $200 and no need for new shocks, though new shocks will smooth the ride significantly. Also, Rancho offers a 2" suspension with springs, shocks, brake line extensions, etc for ~$400 that lots of folks really like.

From there, you can install 285/70-17 tires on stock wheels but the extra width requires 1.5" wheel spacers for about $100 a pair. Alternatively, you could go with a 255/70-17 tire on stock wheels without the need for wheel spacers.
Thanks for the info! Really helpful. Do you have any thoughts on the Micky Thompson tires (like the ones shown here)?

Attachments

·
Registered
724 Posts
Thanks for the info! Really helpful. Do you have any thoughts on the Micky Thompson tires (like the ones shown here)?

I don't have any experience with them but have looked at them for my LJ or just to change things up with my JK. I've read nothing but good things about them though.

I'm running the Falken Wildpeak AT3W on the JK now and they're fantastic, quiet, smooth, and great grip Offroad. We also run them on my wife's 100% street driven JKU which is also our road trip vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts