Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of you, I wanted to add some bass to my JKU (2008) without a new head unit (at least for now) or full sound system overhaul.

I first did Pressurized's tweeter mod for the tombstones up front and also swapped out the OEM soundbar speakers with a pair of the Kicker 77KICK10s. Both were very easy to do from the threads you probably have all seen which helped with the highs up front and a little better fill in the back.

Still no bass so I wanted to add a sub. I knew I didn't want to give up cargo space in the back with a box, didn't want to go the JL Audio stealthbox route, and after reading lots of reviews my gut told me I may not be happy with one of those under seat powered subs like the Kenwood SW11, Kicker Hideaway, or Sound Ordnance B-8PT.

So I decided to take the plunge with one of Mattk11's custom under seat sub enclosures for the front passenger side with a Sundown 10" dual voice coil 4 ohm sub and Rockford Fosgate R500X1D amp (500w at 2ohms). To jump to the punchline, I'm very, very happy with the result, and even if you're not that handy this install is nothing to be afraid of.

Matt's instructions were great and I found a detailed post on another forum which helped with the amp hookup to the stock head unit. (I don't know the rules about posting links from another forum so will hold off on that, but happy to share with anyone interested via PM.)

I did have to shave off a decent amount from the sub enclosure in order for the Sundown to drop in, but Matt let me know that was normal given the variance in cutout diameters across different brands of 10" subs. The first attachment shows a pic before the trimming so you can see what I mean.

I wired the Sundown sub so that it would match the 2 ohm load coming from the R500X1D. Matt had provided a link in his instructions which made that easy to decipher as well.

For amp placement, based on other posts I was originally thinking of installing it inside the dash just to the left of the glove box, but the amp was too big so I just decided to mount it under the driver's seat. (Now that I'm done I'm actually glad I did so I can continue to tweak the amp settings as well as easy access for any maintenance.) Unlike others who have posted, I wasn't overly concerned about water, but given the available clearance under the driver's seat I decided to still mount it up off the floor a bit. I velcro'd a block of wood to the carpet underneath and also used some 3/4" rubber grommets to suspend the amp off the wood block. See pic #2.

To connect the stock head unit to the sub amp I used some quick splice connectors (pic #3) and a PAC SNI-35 line out converter (pic #4). For the remote lead wire I used another one of those quick splice connectors to the cigarette lighter wire (pic #5).

For the power to the amp I ran a 6 gauge wire with an inline 60A fuse from the battery through the firewall hole on the driver's side and down the channel by the driver's door. I also routed the low level connectors coming out of the PAC SNI-35 through the dash and down the same driver's side channel. I then just cut a slit in the carpet so the power and low level connectors could poke through to hook up to the amp. For the remote lead wire I just simply ran that down by the shifter and center console to the amp under the driver's seat. The 12 gauge speaker wires from the amp on the driver's side to the sub enclosure on the passenger's side just went easily under the storage console. (I see I've hit my max pic attachments so I'll reply back to my own post here in order to provide a few more pics of the resulting install.)

I took both the driver's and passenger's seats out altogether in order to give me adequate space to work. Yes, the seat bolts were tough, but nothing a breaker bar can't handle. I also had to detach the seat belts which was just a simple torx bolt (T40 I believe) on each side.

I kept testing everything along the way so if there was a problem I could more easily re-trace my steps and correct it. Never really had any issues. Just took my time.

I will say that when I first powered up the sub during the install I was disappointed with all of the perceived distortion I was hearing. Was it the sub, the box, the amp, or something else? I decided not to overthink it because I hadn't secured the sub to the box yet and knew the importance of a tightly sealed enclosure. That was exactly it. Once I screwed down the sub to the enclosure and ensured a tight seal everything was good.

I still need to dial it in, but this thing hits hard and I'm very happy with the result. Don't shy away, just do it and feel free to ping me if you run into any obstacles. You won't regret it!

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great post. Always love seeing mattk11's subs installed in other's Jeeps. I WILL one of these days finally pull the trigger. Trying to decide whether I'd like driver or passenger side. Any reasoning in your choice?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just didn't know if the rumble from the sub was going to be too much directly under my seat so I went with the passenger side. Probably glad I did as I can definitely feel it more when sitting in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Nice looking sub box, that amp mount location would last about one trip off roading for me as that area tends to pool water , but for a street JK with carpet it would probably be fine. Ive had better luck mounting small amps like that under the glove box, upside down.

·
Registered
375 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sorry, I quoted the wrong post. I meant to quote the post asking about the box pricing. Sorry for my mix up.

I meant the amp bracket. I've already got a sub enclosure from mattk11. Thanks though

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts