Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
88 YJ 4.2 5 spd:)
i would like to remove the a/c compressor but more importantly the condenssor under the dash.
my questions are
1. could i just ask the local auto zone for a belt for my make and year just with out a/c
2. if i take out the condenssor coil and vents under the dash will i also loose the secondary fan, i think i have two fans one is on a seperate factory switch by the cig lighter and the other is on the heater controll pannel.any imput will be apreciated and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
551 Posts
1. Yes, you can just get a non-ac belt. It'll be shorter since it doesn't have to go around the ac compressor.
2. The ac is a self contained add on unit that is completely separate from the in dash heat/defrost. So, to my knowledge, if you remove it, you'll have what a non ac wranglers have from the factory.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks now that i know i can get the proper belt ill take a closer look at the secondary fan thing and report what i find.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Been there done that if u get rid of the compressor u need a bracket for the alternator and a shorter belt. I got my bracket off eBay . Good luck

·
Registered
551 Posts
My bad. bwilburn is correct you will need the bracket. I was thinking of the '91 and up that uses the same mount either way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the bracket info,i am going to start my rear storage solution this Saturday so i wll take a closer look at the a/c situation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there, Do you have v-belt system, what kind of compressor? Top mount over alt.
I have 88 YJ 258 I-6 with no AC. Alternator mounted high. Can you send photo? I would gladly swap my alt brkt. for the right AC comp. bracket. And also will include
v-belt. Thank's

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jeepdriller, i have an over the top of the alternator and a non v-belt set up. and after closer inspection it looks like i can just unbolt the compressor and wont have to switch brackets. sorry!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE...i took out all the a/c components there is two seperate fans and i was able to just unbolt the compressor from the stock bracket and just get a smaller belt.

FREE TO GOOD HOME self contained a/c ducts and fan cluster from under the dash of my 88yj hit me up if you want it. i will not pay shipping

1 - 9 of 9 Posts