Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!

I am having trouble deciding on a lift kit to replace my rough country lift. I won't have the funds for about three months, but I still want to have an idea of what I will be spending. My main goals for this lift is to replace the harsh ride of the rough county lift. This is my daily driver while I also want to have the options to go off-roading at Rausch creek once in a while, I would also like to fit 37s on here eventually, but for now, I will upgrade my 33s to 35s when they wear out. My budget for the lift is $2500

At first, I was going to buy this 2.5" Teraflex kit from Allen of Roads, https://www.allensoffroad.com/cart all in it cost $2200 with Swaybar Disconnects, YETI trackbar, exhaust spacers, and a full set of core tier 3 control arms.

Then I found a Rancho 4" crawler short arm kit https://www.quadratec.com/p/rancho/4in-crawler-short-arm-lift-kit-07-17-jeep-wrangler-jk I can snag this kit for about $1500, but I would also need new drive shafts which would be about $500 give or take, and a flipped drag link. So it works out to about the same price as the teraflex kit.

I have some additional questions too.
How do the Mopar, metal cloak, rock krawler, and aev lifts all compare to these?
Instead of a full set of control arms with the teraflex lift, can I get by with the rancho geo brackets?
Would 35s fit in the rancho 2" sport lift?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can't figure out how to edit and I forgot to mention its a 2014 JKU Sahara. Would 35s or 37s be a problem for the dana 30? And is there anything I am missing that I would need from the teraflex or rancho lift kit I am not mentioning?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a few opinions I can offer. First, I think you should be looking at a 3.5" lift if you are thinking of 37s down the line. I highly recommend the Metal Cloak lift if you can swing it. I have a Teraflex/RK hybrid lift and it's great, but it doesn't ride as nice as a MC lift. If my next move wasn't going to be coilovers, I'd be getting a MC lift for sure.

I have a friend that has the Rancho kit you mentioned and he's very happy with it. 3.5 is as high as I want to go, but he doesn't seem to mind the extra hight.

35s and 37s will eventually destroy your D30. How quickly will depend on how you use it.

If there was one piece of advice I had when I started was that you should spend the money to lift your Jeep the right way. You don't need all 8 control arms, but assume that you'll want to add them at some point because most of us do.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
For the money you quote, and a Dana30, I would suggest a teraflex 2.5” lift w/rancho rs9000 shocks, teraflex sport front lower control arms instead of geo brackets, adjustable front and rear track bars and sway bar links. You may still have enough left for a set of TeraFlex 1.25” spacers and 35s.

Go easy with the skinny pedal and you should be fine at Rausch and AOAA.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My thing though, why would I lift it 2.5” when the 4” is around the same price? $2500 is my budget just for the lift. In regards to the MC lift, I think it's more expensive then the rancho lift, and it doesn't include front drive shafts.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
As I understand it, going over 2.5" is very costly to be done properly. I suppose that is what your budget reflects. If you don't plan to go bigger than 35s, why incur the expense that going over 2.5 brings? You'll spend $$ to beef up the D30 to handle 37s, and some will say 35s too. I realize my perspective is more conservative for sure.

·
Super Moderator
8,247 Posts
I would not recommend 37s on a D30. Even with 35s I would full truss and gusset.

Why you dont want 4 inches "just because it's the same price" - remember the higher you lift, the more you alter driveline and steering angles. The more expensive it becomes to properly compensate. The more you affect your stability and center of gravity. Bigger is not always better... Besides, 4 inches will be too much lift and look goofy with 35s.

For a four door that does more than moderate trails, 3.5 max. If you offroad the more tame stuff, 2.5. And flat fenders are always preferable to more lift - more clearance, look of more lift, without any driveline or steering implications.

I would recommend Metalcloak Game Changer or Rock Krawler X Factor over either of your options anyday.

·
Super Moderator
7,343 Posts
My thing though, why would I lift it 2.5” when the 4” is around the same price? $2500 is my budget just for the lift. In regards to the MC lift, I think it's more expensive then the rancho lift, and it doesn't include front drive shafts.
A $2500 2.5" lift would be a high end 2.5" lift, while a $2500 4" lift would be more middle of the road.
It is around twice as expensive, all else being equal to do a 3.5" / 4" lift vs a 2.5" lift.
Remember, the quality of design and components of your lift will determine how well your Jeep will drive / ride. Do what you want.
Also, lifting too much for the size tires you are running can look funny.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts