Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 88 loredo that is a deep red or maroon color. I do not have the original doors anymore since my dad decided to get rid of them. long story anyway I am in the process of fixing up this jeep and now have black doors and need to repairing the entire jeep. I asked the dealership to run the vin but it came up with a color code used on newer jeeps. Does anybody have the original code for it? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,698 Posts
There should be a tag on the firewall under the hood. If it is still there it will have your paint code. It will be a letter and a number like "H1".
Go to an automotive paint store and if they have been in business long enough they will have older paint chip catalogs. You may have to dig around a bit to find a paint store with a catalog old enough or a counterperson willing to do the research for you.

It is unlikely a dealership will want to or be able to help you. Another possible source is a bodyshop that has been around since the late 80s.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Look for a "BE" paint code. Colorado red.
Or, "BK". Vivid Red Metallic

·
Registered
519 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the code at all. Your paint is almost 30 yrs old and definitely faded (unless you are repainting the whole Jeep) A good automotive paint supplier will be able to match the exact color your Jeep is now and mix you up as much paint as you need.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That diagram will help a lot. I will be repainting the whole jeep. The hood is down to the primer from sitting in the sun and has some rust that I am fixing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nearly a perfect match

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but I thought this might be of help to someone else. I found this thread a week or so ago because I too was trying to match the red color on my 88 YJ. I bought a blue 95 YJ (for parts), with the hard 1/2 doors I've been wanting ever since I got mine. I'm planning on getting my whole Jeep painted within the next year so I didn't want to sink a lot into painting the two doors right now. Anyway, long story short, I picked up two rattle cans at Wally World just based on a guess looking at the caps. One was a rustoleum that I can't remember the specific name of. The other was Krylon Cherry Red. I couldn't have gotten luckier. The Krylon is as close as I could've asked for. Seriously, if you saw it without being told, you'd probably not even notice that the doors were different. I just wanted to share this in case it helps someone else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts