Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have been looking for that tj to start my jeepin life as and i cant seem to find any good ones in my area on craigslist ebay and auto trader and even on the forums?
But i found this one and the guy cam down to 8.5g and wont budge any lower.
Here is the ad 1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport Lifted 4x4
this jeep does need work for the rear 8.8 is leaking interior is muddy and torn. the off road light wiring is finacky at best. It leaks brake fluids from somewhere. The turn signals dont cancel after you turn the wheel. Also the front left fender is rusting and the hood is beaten to shit. only a cracked hardtop.. Is this wrangler worth 8.5g???

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would say no it sounds like it needs a bit of work. My personal opinion of someone who would remove the a/c to put in a cold air intake one a rig that doesn't really benefit from it would make me question the rest of the mods on the vehicle. But I'm a stickler on those things. I would wait for one with less damage. Cause I know for me those things would drive me nuts.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Did you go and check it out yet? You could always go there and test drive it or check it out again and if you seem to like it I would show him the cash. Bring out $7000 in hundred dollar bills and see what he says. People react to cash.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you go and check it out yet? You could always go there and test drive it or check it out again and if you seem to like it I would show him the cash. Bring out $7000 in hundred dollar bills and see what he says. People react to cash.
I did go and see him but i didnt have 7g in cash on me i had offered 7750 and declined that as well

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would pass. I think you would be taking on someone else's problems. He says his needs have changed!!! He needs something that runs without all the issues. Run away
If I was selling my jeep, it wouldn't say, "now the bad".. I take care of my jeep and fix my problems as they arise

·
Registered
536 Posts
Run bro. At BEST its worth around $7k in mint condition, maybe a bit more, but its got issues. Theres gotta be more out there. Check Ebay, craigslist, newspapers, etc, etc, etc. look in areas around your area. I found mine over 400 miles away, hopped on a plane and bought in that way. Second vehicle I did that with. Use NADA, KBB and Edmunds to get a no kidding value for the vehicle. I ALWAYS ask for the VIN numbers and run them prior to buying a vehicle so that I can see and ensure I'm getting everything that was put on/in the vehicle, like A/C or Cruise Control, etc. If not, its coming off the price of the vehicle. Why? Its an old used car sales trick to 'badge' a vehicle. In our circle, they could something like slap Rubicon on the hood, when its actually a sport and charge an extra $4k and if you don't know what you are looking for, you get screwed. BUT, if you run the VIN, it tells you exactly what that vehicle is.
Anyway, good luck bro. I took my time. Waited 2 months for the right one to fall into my lap. My sports car, I waited 9 years for the 'one'. And when she showed up on ebay, I knew it, bid, won and have had her ever since. And ever since, my wife has hated that car, lol.

·
Registered
177 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOO
He didn't take ANY care of it.
RUNNNNNNNNNNN

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
this one seems to be a bad deal even at 7 grand.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I agree with everyone else. RUN..RUN AWAY. He is just trying to dump his problems off on you, and either break even or make a profit off you. It is best to get a stock jeep. Then, you can take your time and do the mods yourself. When someone else mods a jeep, you don't know how well they did it, how well they took care of it, what the jeep went through as far as intense off road excursions, or what was ripped out of the jeep and if it will even pass your state safety inspection. Remember too, most such purchases are "as is".

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
Only thing I can say for sure.....based on my experience..the 3.73's are not enough gear for 33's...but it has already had an axle swap? Why wouldn't you regear at that time? IMO I would keep lookin'......he has only had it about 8-9 months but is ready to sell it? Because of a truck? if it was worth keeping he would keep it, I was offered a similar amount on my '04 as a trade in.....but I kept it....it is worth more to me, but I know its history and didn't have tree fall on it and the A/C still works...yeah RUN!!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would pass as well i bought mine for a little over 6k a 98 also in way better shape. Take your time keep looking. Took me 6 months to find mine.

Mike

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all so much for your answers and I am going to pass on it and keep looking for the right one!!!! If anyone knows of anyone selling a TJ in the Bay area let me know!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts