Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took a year of saving but I'm almost done. Thanks to a lot of guys on here it turned out great. 2.5 aev lift,315 goodyears,smittybilt tire carrier,banks exhaust,led headlights. I'm sure there's other stuff but those are the most notable. By the way it is a 6 speed with 3.21 gears and it's not that bad as I thought. I'm still getting 18mpg and I can still use 6th gear on the flats. Can't make mind up 4.88 or 4.56 now

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
By the way it is a 6 speed with 3.21 gears and it's not that bad as I thought. I'm still getting 18mpg and I can still use 6th gear on the flats. Can't make mind up 4.88 or 4.56 now
I've got a 6 speed myself and I just finished a build this week (link here). I went with 37 inch tires and coming from 4.10 gears I was torn between 4.88 and 5.13. I ended up getting the 4.88 at the recommendation of the people performing the work. I wound up with better gas mileage and more top end along with a stronger pinion than the 5.13s However I did loose a bit of that pep that my jeep had stock, its not a snappy now. I'm running at about 2,600 RPM in 6th gear going 80MPH and getting roughly 11MPG. If I granny it around I can still get damn close to 18MPG.

Anyway I would think that based on your tire size, 4.88s for you would be like 5.13s for me. More power and torque but a sacrifice to fuel economy. 4.88 is probably overkill unless you plan to jump up to 37" tires.

I have the good fortune of living just minutes down the street from AEV and my father has a working relationship with the gentleman who oversees all operations there. They were kind enough to give me a tour of their facility and answer many of my questions. During my visit I received a quote to install their biggest 2dr lift with 37" tires and a tire carrier. When AEV does 37s on a Jeep a re-gear is MANDATORY and they recommended 4.56 gears even with 37s. That's coming from a company that upfits a LOT of Jeeps, perhaps more than anyone else?

I'm not an expert by any stretch so please do your own research. I just thought I would share what I learned during my own recent research on the same topic. If you do enough googling on this topic you will likely end up with more questions than answers and if you look hard enough I'm sure you will find a post somewhere telling you to run 5.13s on 12" tires lol. If I were running your set up and based on what I have learned I would probably be looking to get 4.10s or 4.56s at most unless I planned on getting tires 37" or bigger.

Just my $0.02

Your Jeep looks great by the way, that color is awesome! :)

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
:lmao: Well if it makes you feel any better you were pretty close on your guess.
Following this info...my experience with my TJ yes TJ and 4.88s and 33"s and now currently having a '12 JK and a '14 JKU ..and knowing the power difference etc...I would suggest the 4.56....Unless you are sure you are going bigger than 35"s, it is not worth it.

I ended up selling the TJ because it was not as fun anymore on the street after the re-gear, but it was AWESOME OFF ROAD!! Granted some of that was probably influenced by driving the Jks with a Pentastar on a regular basis......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts