Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Abe Froman
3,781 Posts
It is just some rubber pieces. Either will do. Just make sure there are bump extensions with it and at least grade 5 hardware.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
The difference is going to be the shocks. The Skyjacker Hydros are known to be very good riding. I don't know what shocks come with the Rough Country.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
I understand replacing shock with a BB if you NEED shocks... but if you don't NEED shocks, and you don't max your suspension out (top it/bottom it out every day HARD) there is no real reason for new shocks.

People may disagree with me... that's fine. And yes... adding 2" to your stock suspension and using STOCK shocks sounds wrong... do they work...YES.... are you limited.... YES.... but how much depends on you and your driving.

Mine is a daily driver and I run 31's on 2" BB with stock shocks and have NO PROBLEMS.... The reason I say not to waste money is I even did the Rubicon Trail with this setup and had a blast ( with disconnects of course). My shocks limited my down travel... big deal... now I know what it can do with this setup

The BIGGEST thing is proper bumpstop length. Get a kit with the bumpstop extentions and spacers... about $100-$130 is all you need. 2hours and your are back on the road

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/teraflex-2-bb-installed-in-less-than-2hours-99763.html

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.....I need to get new shocks since I have two that are leaking. But, I do agree with the above post. I have a local friend who is not only a mechanic but an avid off-roader and tractor pull winner.....he says the same thing.

The Rough Country BB Kit is only $199 or so....an extra $30 bucks with upgraded shocks. The Stock shocks are the Hydro 8000 and the upgraded ones are the Nitro 9000.

Interestingly enough, the Skyjacker kit has the same options with shocks called the same name. I wonder if they are identical.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am not going to spend that much money for this highway queen.

I just called tech support and it turns out that the shocks from both kits are the same. Just have different logos on them. The Rough Country does not come with boots, but you can order a set from an option of colors for $3 each or so.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
1. You do not need boots

2. Do not get the Nitros. Get the Hydros as indicated. The Nitros are too stiff.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if you're not going to spend the extra money for good shocks and proper bumpstop extensions, then just keep your jeep stock, get some Monroe Sensatrac shocks if yours are worn out, and call it day.
That't what I have now....and they are leaking after 20k miles.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts