Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a tire carrier/rack on a jeep the other day. Came home and looked it up. It's an OR-FAB SWING-AWAY TIRE/CAN CARRIER. Looks like this.

Does anyone have any experience with them? Can anyone recommend something better?

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
I don't know much about the OR-FAB but I can say that my Garvin has been rock solid and rattle free. It's kinda $$$ but it was worth it IMO.

Old pic:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I got the bestop tire carrier and I wouldn't recommend it. I'll probably replace it next year with maybe a warn, garvin or Lod. :D I should have listened and spent more $$ on this mod.

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks good, Scout.
May I ask how much $$$? Are those spots for jerry cans on the sides of the spare? Did you need a stronger bumper to support it?

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
That looks good, Scout.
May I ask how much $$$? Are those spots for jerry cans on the sides of the spare? Did you need a stronger bumper to support it?
Oh I think it was arourd $ 1,100.00 with everything. It's a rear bumper, Hi Lift jack holder, trail rack (on top) and two jerry can holders. It takes a little time and patience to install but it's worth it in the end. :) I'll PM you the place where I bought it.

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the heads up on the bestop, Leo. Since their prices aren't too bad, I might have ended up going that route, and regretting it.

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I think it was arourd $ 1,100.00 with everything. It's a rear bumper, Hi Lift jack holder, trail rack (on top) and two jerry can holders. It takes a little time and patience to install but it's worth it in the end. :) I'll PM you the place where I bought it.
Thank you, Scout.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
Do you need the jerry can, hi lift and trail rack? If not, I've never heard anything bad about the Warn.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yeah...I went for price. I ended up having to take it to a place to re-install it correctly (I spent 6 hrs trying). It still rattles and I have to keep adjusting nuts every couple of weeks. I think it has too many little parts to it. I heard great things about the warn one. I'm saving for it :D

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The jerry can, yes. The hi lift, I will shortly (hi lift jack is on my short list). The trail rack... how high does it sit off the ground? I'm on the short side.

·
Extremely Humble
11,545 Posts
The jerry can, yes. The hi lift, I will shortly (hi lift jack is on my short list). The trail rack... how high does it sit off the ground? I'm on the short side.
It's pretty high. (on my Jeep at least) I usually stand on the bumper when I'm loading it. ---> And that's not very often. ;)

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's pretty high. (on my Jeep at least) I usually stand on the bumper when I'm loading it. ---> And that's not very often. ;)
Hmmm, think I'll skip the trail rack for now, then.

Thanks for the info, guys.:)

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool, thanks for the link, MOG.

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
I personally don't like that OR-Fab style carrier. There's a fairly good debate that goes on about what it does to the tub of your jeep. Since that carrier mounts to the sheet metal of your tub instead of on a bumper like most of them. I've seen jeeps where it has cracked the steel and I have seen them where it hasn't. But for my money I wouldn't put one on my jeep.

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you, 1BLKJP. It's good to know that there have been problems with it. It looked really handy but not if it could do damage.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I personally don't like that OR-Fab style carrier. There's a fairly good debate that goes on about what it does to the tub of your jeep. Since that carrier mounts to the sheet metal of your tub instead of on a bumper like most of them. I've seen jeeps where it has cracked the steel and I have seen them where it hasn't. But for my money I wouldn't put one on my jeep.
Not completely true. I have the OR Fab carrier on my YJ. It mounts to the right rear body mount (Frame to tub), the sport cage on both sides, tub on both sides, and you end up rehanging the tailgate. Anywhere you penetrate the tub there is a plate on the other side to sandwich everything together.

The thing is rock solid. Been bouncing a 31x10.50 around back there for a year with 10 gals anytime I go out without a hitch. Really like the fact that there's an extra 10 gals on board when I go play.

It was a pian to install, but well worth the effort. Highly recommended.

The only downside I can see is the lack of a trail rack.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts