Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if there's a better place to post this...
I'm a new owner of a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara.
The Sahara came with 18 in. (not sure if its 18x10?) rims and 32 inch tires (255/70). I like the design of the rims except for the color, and I like the tires except for their size. So I am considering either painting the rims, or even perhaps going with a new 20x10(?) rim, and a larger tire.

One of the local Jeep guys guys tells me that the largest tire I can get on this stock rim is a 33 in. He recommended I go with a 2 in. lift kit, new rims and 35 in. tires. So I'm trying to verify if he's giving me good advise.

Some of the questions I have have about this:
1. If I put a 2 inch lift kit am I still limited to a 33 inch tire with my existing rims?
2. If I go with the 35's on a 20 inch rim, will I need new fenders?
3. Are there some kind of spacers I can use on the existing rims to bring them out a little further?

Sorry for all all the newbie questions, I just don't want to be misled, or pay more than I have to for the same result. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You can run larger than 33 on that wheel, no problem. However it is only a 7.5" wide wheel. Most aftermarket wheels are going to be about 9" wide. You may need wheel spacers to fit a bigger tire with them.

Here is my setup, 295/65R18 on stock wheels with 1.5" spacers

Keep in mind you do get more tire choice in 17". Also if you wanted to paint your stock wheels I would just put that money towards new wheels, tires are slightly cheaper in 17" also.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can run larger than 33 on that wheel, no problem. However it is only a 7.5" wide wheel. Most aftermarket wheels are going to be about 9" wide. You may need wheel spacers to fit a bigger tire with them.

Here is my setup, 295/65R18 on stock wheels with 1.5" spacers

Keep in mind you do get more tire choice in 17". Also if you wanted to paint your stock wheels I would just put that money towards new wheels, tires are slightly cheaper in 17" also.

That is nice. I like the look. Is the 295/65 comparable to a 34 inch tire?
BTW That's the same color as my Sahara. :happyyes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I get a set of spacers say in the 1.25 - 1.75 size, what is the biggest tire size I get on there without having to add other components?

·
Registered
8,911 Posts
Rubber is expensive for 18s, you don't get as much sidewall, etc.

I'd get 2.5" lift, either 16s or 17s for wheels with 4.5" backspacing, and pick the tire size you want from there. 33, 34, 35.
But you'll want to regear with 34s or 35s I would think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts