Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I know there are a ton of TrekTop threads but none of them address the simple question of how to go topless! I can open the sunrider over the front seats, of course. No problem. But how do I take the whole thing down so there is no top at all? I've searched for videos and how-tos, even contacted the Besttop person on this forum (no answer) and I'm at a loss! All of the videos are for older versions and don't look like mine!
I'm assuming it's just a "fold it all back, take off the windows and go, but I don't want to screw up what took 3 hours to install! Any links or help is appreciated. Heck, if anyone is near Pensacola, come on over and show me! LOL

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Aside from the method in video above - you don't. The TrekTop was not designed to go up and down like a regular top.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not designed to completely fold down
Really? OMG I feel like an idiot now. That was a really expensive mistake I made buying it then :banghead:

So what are my capabilities? I can fold back the front flap and I can take off the windows all around, right? Can I fold back to expose the middle seats? If so, where the heck does the top go?

I'm kicking myself right now. I want to go nekkid! It's my own fault, I should have done some more research. I know Camaros, not Jeeps (this is my first non-sports car and I just got it a few weeks ago) :(

Help me make the most of this please! :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
I just tried something today that works great. haven't put the top back on but it worked great. to put it back on seems like it will be easier than having it completely removed. The zippers always seem to be the pain in the but part. The door surrounds and middle bar attache to them stay on Also, it's on a 2015 two door, may work on a four door if thats what you have. I have a spidertop sunshade and don't attach the clips to the sound bar so that makes it easier too.

unclip the sunrider

Unzip the rear windows but leave the top inch or two zipped.
Optional (remove the rear window from the lower bar that that holds it on the tub (just lides out). I left my bar in place because I have a rack to bungee the rolled up top too. if you slide the bottom of the window out you can bungee it to the bar)

Leave the top of the side windows zipped

Undo all the tabs along the bottom of the top.(those plastic things that attach the top to the tub (not sure of the correct term)

Take the front edge off from around the door

Slide the plastic corner pieces out of the two rear corners the side windows

Flip the side windows flat onto the top. I used an old towel to protect the window part

Roll the rear window up from bottom to top. Once again, I rolled it up with a towel to protect the windows.

open the sun rider and unhook the springs on each side and unclip the quick please that attaches the front frame the door surround.

roll the whole thing up from front to back. the two bars that attach to the door surround will be sticking out. it rolls up just fine on top of the jeep.

Put the whole thing across the back by the tailgate with the arms facing forward. for a better fit, flip it 18 degrees so the areas are on the bottom

I bungeed mine to my rack, or leave the lower bar from the rear window attached to the tub and you can bungeed to that. Not sure if its needed as its pretty secure, but I wouldn't want it flying off the back. Had it up to 65 mph today with no noise from it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just tried something today that works great. haven't put the top back on but it worked great. to put it back on seems like it will be easier than having it completely removed. The zippers always seem to be the pain in the but part. The door surrounds and middle bar attache to them stay on Also, it's on a 2015 two door, may work on a four door if thats what you have. I have a spidertop sunshade and don't attach the clips to the sound bar so that makes it easier too.

unclip the sunrider

Optional (remove the rear window from the lower bar that that holds it on the tub (just lides out). I left my bar in place because I have a rack to bungee the rolled up top too. if you slide the bottom of the window out you can bungee it to the bar)

Undo all the tabs along the bottom of the top.(those plastic things that attach the top to the tub (not sure of the correct term)

Flip the side windows flat onto the top. I used an old towel to protect the window part

Roll the rear window up from bottom to top. Once again, I rolled it up with a towel to protect the windows.

open the sun rider and unhook the springs on each side and unclip the quick please that attaches the front frame the door surround.

roll the whole thing up from front to back. the two bars that attach to the door surround will be sticking out. it rolls up just fine on top of the jeep.

Put the whole thing across the back by the tailgate with the arms facing forward. for a better fit, flip it 18 degrees so the areas are on the bottom

I bungeed mine to my rack, or leave the lower bar from the rear window attached to the tub and you can bungeed to that. Not sure if its needed as its pretty secure, but I wouldn't want it flying off the back. Had it up to 65 mph today with no noise from it.
That's a lot to take in, but I think I get it, thank you!

I have the 4 door, so not sure how it'll play out, but I'll let you know if I can make it happen! :D

·
Registered
307 Posts
Its reads a lot more complicated than it is. Just unclip everything, unzip the rear window but leave some attached, take out the corners, flip the sides up, roll the rear up to the top, open the sun rider and roll it to the rear rolling up the rear and sides in it. stash it on the back of the tub. not complicated, once you get your hands on it it will become obvious. Just hard to describe. Maybe I should take pics on each step next time I do it.

Don't be disappointed with your Trektop. I love mine but going topless is the tough part. I love the modularity of it. Mostly I run it with the sides and rear off (like a full coverage bikini top)

·
Registered
291 Posts
The video is really helpful and it makes me want one. The top rolled up and tucked under the front flipped back gets you very close to topless. I do like the way it looks. I have a factory top and I really don't care for the look of my top all folded and wrinkled up in the back. The Trektop seems to offer an easy way to run with the sides out and I do like how the back window slides out. The fastback look is nice too. Don't fret too much Pam as these are really great tops and I'm considering one for mine. Hang in there. Jeep ownership comes with some trials and errors...but I don't think you made one in this case. You'll grow to really appreciate the utility and ease of the Trektop.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its reads a lot more complicated than it is. Just unclip everything, unzip the rear window but leave some attached, take out the corners, flip the sides up, roll the rear up to the top, open the sun rider and roll it to the rear rolling up the rear and sides in it. stash it on the back of the tub. not complicated, once you get your hands on it it will become obvious. Just hard to describe. Maybe I should take pics on each step next time I do it.

Don't be disappointed with your Trektop. I love mine but going topless is the tough part. I love the modularity of it. Mostly I run it with the sides and rear off (like a full coverage bikini top)
Ok, I'm feeling a little better about it now! To be clear, I can leave the top closed and still take off the side windows and back window, effectively creating a bikini-like top, right? And once I'm in that bikini stage, can I also pull back the sunrider so the only thing on the top is over the middle seats (or is that pushing it too far)?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ok, I'm feeling a little better about it now! To be clear, I can leave the top closed and still take off the side windows and back window, effectively creating a bikini-like top, right? And once I'm in that bikini stage, can I also pull back the sunrider so the only thing on the top is over the middle seats (or is that pushing it too far)?
Yes, that's how it's designed

·
Registered
307 Posts
Exactly. That's the main reason I bought the trektop and my most common configuration when taking parts of the top off. Like a poster above said, in that configuration you can undo the straps in back (not sure if 4-door has those), flip the rear part of the roof forward and tuck it under the folded back sun rider. it all sits on top of the sound bar and you won't know its there.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Following along the previous responses, this is a very versatile top.
For top removal, I found the easiest, was to unhook the springs, and rear, and roll the rear window and the whole thing forward to the header bar, put a bungee around it, pull the two pins and take the whole thing and lay it across the rear of the tub, bungeed down.

·
Vendor
5,547 Posts
Hey everyone! I know there are a ton of TrekTop threads but none of them address the simple question of how to go topless! I can open the sunrider over the front seats, of course. No problem. But how do I take the whole thing down so there is no top at all? I've searched for videos and how-tos, even contacted the Besttop person on this forum (no answer) and I'm at a loss! All of the videos are for older versions and don't look like mine!
I'm assuming it's just a "fold it all back, take off the windows and go, but I don't want to screw up what took 3 hours to install! Any links or help is appreciated. Heck, if anyone is near Pensacola, come on over and show me! LOL
Hey there,

I was out due to the holiday so I just saw your message today from Sunday. It looks like everyone jumped in and got you the answers you needed, let me know if there is any other questions.

*CassieAtBestop

·
Registered
27 Posts

unclip the sunrider

OP, or just return the one you bought and get the glide... You will be much happier.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
@santanig5, this is exactly what I was looking for, thank you!
@ccarzoo, taking it all off, finding a box to pack it in, hauling it to the fedex joint, then spending another 3 hours in the Florida sun installing a new one doesn't sound worth it! I considered it, but I think I"ll be happy with the one I have :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts