Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets see if you guys can help me out.
I have a 99 4.0 5 speed
Its not starting I hear a single click from the glove box area and that is it.
New battery, new terminals, new starter, I already made sure that the connections are good clean and tight.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen 2 weeks ago. Drove to work, everything was normal. Go to leave and nothing. All electrics worked, just no start. And I too heard 1 single click come from the glove box.

Check out the thread I started when I was having issues... http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/2001-4-0l-tj-no-crank-no-start-1575497.html

Get out a volt meter and start testing things. Don't make the same mistake I did and start throwing random parts at it, hoping to find the problem.

Here's a good place to start at, I just copied this out of the other thread that I started...

That is why I said to inspect the actuator tip before buying one. Before throwing more parts & $$ at it do a bit of troubleshooting. You will need a 12v test light. You may need a helper but start by pulling the starter relay & find the terminal #s, usually printed on the side of the relay.

Make a short jumper wire, MAKE SURE THE JEEP IS IN PARK, make sure you have 12v power to terminal 30 (from fuse 6 in the PDC)&jump between the 30 & 87 terminals in the relay socket. That should crank the engine. If you turn the key on & jump it, it should start. Just only touch the terminals long enough to start & pull the jumper so you don't damage the starter by having it engaged with the engine running. If that works you will know the fuse, wiring & battery connections are all good.

If good so far, further test the circuit to find why the relay is not closing. You need to test to see if the 86 or 85 terminal in that socket gets power when you turn the key to start. You will need the helper here. Normally 86 gets power & 85 is ground but sometimes these are reversed so test accordingly. One terminal should be grounded; the other needs power to close the relay so test both. This will tell you if the ignition switch is sending power to the relay. With the key turned to the start position see if either 85 or 86 gets 12v power. If no, the ignition switch or the wire from the switch to the relay is bad. If you are getting power there, then see if the other terminal (85 or 86) is grounded. If no, the park/neutral switch or its wiring is bad.

To sum up see that you are getting power to 30, key to start position power to 86/85 & ground it the other 85/86 slot.

See where that gets you.
Jump the starter relay with a paper clip at the 30 & 87 terminals for the relay. If it turns over that will eliminate a lot of potential issues. If it starts, it means that you have power in all the right places, and the issue should be between the ignition and the relay.

My problem ended up being a corroded connector on the firewall. Never would have found it, if it weren't by my mechanic buddy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts