Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have a 2015 JK Willys (hardtop) and have had a water leak for the last month or so. I took it in the first time and he said it was the passenger A-Pillar that was leaking. They tested it, found that leak and a few more and then about 5 days later I was back on the road...Come the following week, it began to rain here in CA again and what do you know...my jeep is leaking again in the same spot I had taken it in originally for. Dropped it off and they had it for about 10 days this time. They said they fixed it again and now about 5 days later, it's raining again and what do you know...Jeep is still leaking in the same spot...

I'm about to call the dealer again to let them know, but before I do, does anyone have any info about the lemon law? Someone mentioned after 3 tries, it could be considered a lemon. Would this still count even though it is a not a mechanical or safety issue?

I was looking at threads on this about 2 weeks ago and I had found one with great info and links, but now I'm unable to find it.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
66 Posts
If leaking down the "A" pillar onto the floor, the easiest and most useful fix is to adjust the door. Loosen the 3 bolts on the top hinge only, push the door in 1/8" and re tighten. This fixed all of my leaks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why do you want info on the Lemon Law? Don't you like your Jeep?
Of course I love my jeep, but at this point it's in the shop more than I can even use it. I know jeeps leak but considering I've only had it 3 months, this really shouldnt be an issue yet. I'd rather start fresh if they can't get it fixed...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Vacuumed the rig yesterday.. Yep, passenger floor soaked.

To the OP. Lemon laws vary by state. That said attorneys are eager to jump on the "my wrangler leaks" cases.. Just do a google search for your state and lemon law.. You'll have a case in no time

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vacuumed the rig yesterday.. Yep, passenger floor soaked.

To the OP. Lemon laws vary by state. That said attorneys are eager to jump on the "my wrangler leaks" cases.. Just do a google search for your state and lemon law.. You'll have a case in no time

Thank you, I appreciate it! Mine's on the passenger side as well, last time they said they were going to replace the hard top but then ended up not doing it...we'll see what happens this time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The leak is probably the plug under the dash on the right side of the passenger compartment. Simple fix is to pop it out and apply a liberal amount of a good quality silicon sealant. My 12 JK leaked profusely from day one and I did a search on this forum and found the fix. I never tried the dealer based on what I read about the bad results.

It has been 3.5+ years now and no leaks at all.

Rich

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The leak is probably the plug under the dash on the right side of the passenger compartment. Simple fix is to pop it out and apply a liberal amount of a good quality silicon sealant. My 12 JK leaked profusely from day one and I did a search on this forum and found the fix. I never tried the dealer based on what I read about the bad results.

It has been 3.5+ years now and no leaks at all.

Rich
Thanks, Rich. I'll check that out.

Mine is on the carpet and is coming down the plastic door panel. I can't seem to find where exactly it's leaking from yet.

In the pic you can see it's on the door panel and there is even some water on the handle for the window.

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
It's insane to me that nearly a decade into this platform, Jeep .. And more specifically dealerships, still can't stop leaks. Luckily we have the wealth of knowledge that can be found on this forum. Mine leaks between the fronts panels and pisses down on the radio during braking and around the passenger door seal(s).. that I'm aware of. Likely the plug under the dash as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just took mine to the car wash and sprayed it to see if I could get the leak going and sure enough I could. It leaks out of a gasket or weatherstripping, not sure exactly what to call it. Then it does leak down the weather stripping of the car. I have a couple videos of it full on dripping 15 mins after the car wash still...

Attached is the pic of where I suspect the leak to be coming from. In the corner of the circular part you can see the water seeping out the bottom left corner.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh and I called the dealer they told me they wanted to make an appt for Friday or Saturday. Considering it's raining all week here where I'm at, I'm not trying to drive it like this all week. I should have told her if they want to replace all the carpeting in the jeep as well to be sure there is no mold...wonder what she would have said! Lol

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I feel your frustration. I'm on my fourth trip to dealer, scheduled for the 8th. They have been very accommodating, replacing weather stripping around both doors, around the firewall cowling and around the freedom panels, but I still have water making its way to the drivers floor mat. It's a real slow penetration by the water. I believe this time they are going to reseat the rubber gaskets on the A pillar just under the freedom panel. It is strange how the gutter on the freedom panel ends right above and short of the A pillar. The water just pours off the roof at this location and down the A pillar location.
If this trip doesn't work I'm thinking of extending the gutter on the freedom panels to allow the water to drip down beyond them A pillars.

Paul

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I feel your frustration. I'm on my fourth trip to dealer, scheduled for the 8th. They have been very accommodating, replacing weather stripping around both doors, around the firewall cowling and around the freedom panels, but I still have water making its way to the drivers floor mat. It's a real slow penetration by the water. I believe this time they are going to reseat the rubber gaskets on the A pillar just under the freedom panel. It is strange how the gutter on the freedom panel ends right above and short of the A pillar. The water just pours off the roof at this location and down the A pillar location.
If this trip doesn't work I'm thinking of extending the gutter on the freedom panels to allow the water to drip down beyond them A pillars.

Paul
Yeah they have replaced a bunch of my seals so far on the doors and the hardtop. Last time they said they were going to replace the hard top but had to wait to hear back from Chrysler. They ended up not replacing the top. I have a star case number listed on my invoice, not sure what that really means but I'm curious to see what they are going to do this time. I don't think my water is leaking from the top gutter to the a pillar but I could be wrong. It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from when the door is shut but I can't tell when it's open either. Very frustrating

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Last time in order to try and help them I dried the carpet completely prior to
the visit. Then I cut construction paper out to fit snuggly in each front floor board area. When I got to dealer I pulled the carpet up and placed the construction paper in the bottom of floor board making sure it fit under the moulding by the doors front corners. This way when they "water tested" the jeep they could see where the water was leaking into the floor board. We were able to eliminate the fire wall and windshield this way and learned the water was coming down the A pillars. The passenger side has stayed dry. Unfortunately the drivers side still leaks. I have my cutouts ready for round 4.
Good luck.

Best - Paul

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update- picked my jeep up thurs night after they promised they fixed the leak again. Friday night we had rain and Saturday I get in the jeep to go to breakfast with my boyfriend, and what do you know? Another puddle. We drove it down to the car wash to be sure and it now leaks 100% worse than before. After the wash the headliner light would not turn off. Water poured all over the electrical and behind the dash board.

Dropped it back off and the service advisor couldn't believe that it's leaking again since he personally drove it home and watched them water test it for an hour with no leaks... It sat in the rain and leaked and the car wash for 2 mins and was pouring water inside.

I got home and called Chrysler. Lemon law in CA says we have to notify manufacturer before we proceed. He called the dealer and spoke to my SA and my SA said they would open a star case on it. I asked the rep if they had one open on file already and he told me my SA said they didn't. Funny thing is, my last 2 service invoices show a star case that was opened for my jeep!!!

It's been escalated to a case manager who will contact me Monday...

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Friday the 8th the dealer attacked the driver's door A pillar and added another new seal/gasket where the A pillar meets the freedom panel. 'Water test' was conducted, and their observation, "no leaks".
I brought it home, hoping for the best. Knowing it was to rain heavily on Sunday I took the initiative and rolled up both front carpets and placed the trusty construction paper in place. On Sunday around 2, during a lull in the down pour I checked the floors. Passenger side dry:iamhappy: but the driver's side was pouring water in a the base of the A pillar and at the top where the plastic inner moulding comes together. There was a puddle on the floor!:atomic:
I returned to dealer this morning and showed them the photos and brought the tech, same young man who has worked on it 4x, and showed him the water still leaking. I then lifted the carpet and showed him the 1/2 inch of ice. Our temps went from 50 on Sunday to 23 this morning. I also found ice on the seatbelt indicating the B pillar is leaking too. Tech was nice explaining he had replaced every seal around doors and freedom panels.
Dealer is now talking of replacing drivers side freedom panel. My wife is going to bring it next week for round 5 as I have hip surgery on Friday.
I'll keep you posted.
Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My 14 wrangler has been plagued with the same fate of leaks. November of 2014 my leaks started Ive been to the dealership 7 or 8 times already, each time they give me a laundry list of repairs that they did.

Once you can rule out that you put your top on correctly.

Ive come to the conclusion that the doors are not aligned properly at the factory.

To fix leaks at your B Pillar, adjust your door catch aka bottle opener in slightly. Thats how I fixed my B Pillar leaks.

To fix the A Pillar Leaks are more tricky, if the leak is coming in on the floor. The water is skipping the rubber seal where the windshield meets the body. have to dealer replace the foam at the angle it should create a tighter fit when the door is closed.

Idk how to adjust the front hinges, but on my wrangler the top of the door does not sit flush with the body.

keep in mind, that if youre planning on going the lemon law route, it takes about a year to complete, you will lose any interest that you paid toward your jeep and any miles that you have on her will be deducted from the check that you get.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Holy crap! Apparently, I'm small time... I won't bother going back to the dealer. This is an engineering problem that needs an engineering solution. Mine leaks too and I'd wager they all do. Replacing the almost new seals with newer ones is certainly not the answer.

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
I feel your pain. My then new Jeep back in November 2007 was leaking from day one. After 6 attempts to fix it, in August 2008, I took delivery of my replacement Jeep. After two attempts of fixing the leak on the new Jeep, they got it right and it hasn't leaked since. If it leaks now, I'm on my own...but not worried at all. With three Wranglers now, two of them 2008 Rubicons, you could say that I have been bitten by the Jeep bug. Now 7 years old with 120,000 miles on it, the love for my Jeep is ongoing. One thing that I can say is that, without disclosing the details of my buyback, I was extremely happy with the buyback program.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks guys for all the responses.

I received a call from Chrysler on Monday that my case manager was on vacation and will be calling me by today at the latest. I have the # and ext to reach him back if I don't hear anything.

Looking over all my service records, nothing adds up. They say they replaced entire seals, when in reality, I only see parts of seals replaced. They say a star case was never opened, when I see it noted on my service records that one has been opened already. When I dropped the Jeep off this last time, I told the SA that he didn't shut the door all the way and then he had the nerve to ask me if I'm not closing the door all the way...smh.

They noted that they adjusted the latch and the doors. I have no idea where it's leaking from. I couldnt figure it out. I took videos from the inside but it's hard to tell where the start of the leak is coming from.

At this point, I'd be happy with a buyback and I'm going to push for it. I bought a jeep because it's been my dream car, but it's been far from that :( Can't enjoy a new car if you never even have it...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts