KMC XD series Rockstar Black 18 x 9" / 5x5"

Rim Diameter- 18"
Rim Width - 9"
Bolt Pattern - 5 lug
Pitch Circle Diameter - 127mm
Backspace - 5"
Hub Bore- 87.10mm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have scoured through many threads on wheel setups and I still remain confused.

My quest is to put 35" tires on stock setup. I am open to 33" tire also but if I can get away using 35" I would prefer that.

Is this feasible without lift?

Would adding wheel spacers and washers up front to the "Steer-Stop" be enough without a lift?

I am trying to go for this exact look, if I can achieve this with 33" tires I would be okay with that also.

Does anyone know what kind of tires are those?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Those are Nitto mud grapplers. If you google "jk 35's no lift" you can see it is very possible to fit them stock, but it can't off road or flex too well. Even a small spacer lift would help this. Or with 33's you wouldnt have any troubles. If you have wheel spacers, you don't have to put the washers on the steering stops.

I will warn you however, you did just choose one of the heaviest tire wheel combos out there

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx Keeper

Does it matter that much on how heavy the tire setup is? If gas mileage is the only downside to the heavy wheels, I am okay with that.

I really want to keep the wheels close to stock look and the rockstars achieve that, if you have other wheels in mind I can take a look at?

I did look at Mamba M13's that are pretty similar too.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
It'll really only be mileage and maybe a little power loss. You will lose some of both anyway upgrading from stock so you won't really know the difference between heavy or light large tires. Most likely you'll just chock it up to them being bigger than original

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When dealing with wheelspacers, how much room do I need to create if hypothetically i go with the Nittos grapplers?

A range of nitto tire widths with above wheel and spacer would help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can someone recommend what AT Tire would be the best application for more on road use and very limited offroad use while maintaining a beefy look. Would prefer minimum road noise and longer tread life.

So far I have managed to find this tire that seems best fit, any opinions on this tire? Also open to other tire opinions, thanks.

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO Off-Road Tire - 275/70R18 125R

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I wouldn't change the wheels if you're only going to a 5" backspacing. You may as well get 1.5" spacers w/ stockers and achieve 4.75". If you want a stock look, check out the new Quadratec wheels. Quadratec Exclusive 92615 2111 - Quadratec Moab Style Alloy Wheel for 07-13 Jeep&#174 Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK in 17x8.5 Size with 4.7" Backspacing - Quadratec

AEV Pintlers are kinda stockish, but still cool. AEV Conversions 20402022AA - AEV 17x8.5 Pintler Wheel for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maggi, I am contemplating a bigger aftermarket style rim while still keeping the factory Five-Flat spoke wheel look.

At the moment I have factory wheels plasti-dipped and I really like them, but just want something bigger and beefier.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Maggi, I am contemplating a bigger aftermarket style rim while still keeping the factory Five-Flat spoke wheel look.

At the moment I have factory wheels plasti-dipped and I really like them, but just want something bigger and beefier.
No worries, I have plasti-dipped stockers too! I was just suggesting that 5" of backspace may not be enough depending on the width of your 35s and your level of offroading.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I had reviewed that thread before making my post as I still remained confused. I am still trying to wrap my head around all this and going to visit a tire/wheel shop today to better understand the particular setup I have in mind.

My main question was somewhat answered by Maggi regarding what size spacers I may need for these Rockstars.

My next question is: even with 1.5" spacers, what tread width do I shoot for, 265,275,285? I would love the bigger footprint but again on stock suspension for now.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I had reviewed that thread before making my post as I still remained confused. I am still trying to wrap my head around all this and going to visit a tire/wheel shop today to better understand the particular setup I have in mind.

My main question was somewhat answered by Maggi regarding what size spacers I may need for these Rockstars.

My next question is: even with 1.5" spacers, what tread width do I shoot for, 265,275,285? I would love the bigger footprint but again on stock suspension for now.
I personally wouldn't buy new wheels AND spacers. If you don't go offroad, those wheels will probably be fine. The 17" Rockstars do have "proper" backspacing at 4.5" FYI. I'm not familiar w/ 18" wheel tire sizes, but w/ proper backspacing, many ppl run up to 12.5" wide tires. Try playing around w/ this tire size comparison Tire Wheel Size Comparison Conversion Calculator - Metric Standard
There are better version, but I don't have time to search at work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thx Maggi,

The backspace on these 18" rockstar is listed at 5", maybe the 17" have the 4.5"

I will play around with the calculator also, I am currently going to a tire shop my sales person recommended & try to get the complete picture of my setup and see some tires up close.

Once I have figured it out, I will post my setup results here for others.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got back from the tire shop and they advised me to only go with 33" tire and not a 35" tire. Told me that the max spacer I could go with is a .5" or I would need an extender for each axle with lug nuts.

So far the tires I am leaning toward are the Falken Wild Peak, Hancook DynaPro, & Nitto Trail-grapplers

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Just got back from the tire shop and they advised me to only go with 33" tire and not a 35" tire. Told me that the max spacer I could go with is a .5" or I would need an extender for each axle with lug nuts.

So far the tires I am leaning toward are the Falken Wild Peak, Hancook DynaPro, & Nitto Trail-grapplers
I'd get an opinion from a 4x4 shop...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts