Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, looking for a decent spot to put my VHF antenna. I use the Diamond SG-2000HD W/nmo mount. I have a soft top on most the time, so I can't go to the top of the roll bar. Thinking of the right rear quater panel, and some 2 inch aluminum angle. Any ideas, or pics, or pointers.
Thanks, Mack

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I have my cb antenna mounted on the passenger side and had planned on using an old cb antenna trimmed down to 2 meters mounted in the same way on the other side.

I haven't decided for sure yet.

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
That's how mine is mounted. Only I used one of the bolt holes in the mount to run my coax through. I'll post pics of my set-up when I get a second this evening.

·
Registered
576 Posts

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
You've seen mine, but here it is again for my viewing pleasure. :)

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
That's a pretty damn elaborate set up you got theere kg4...

·
Registered
262 Posts
You've seen mine, but here it is again for my viewing pleasure. :)
Very nicely done kg4kpg. You obviously take pride in you Jeep and it shows.

Hutch

·
I luv bourbonz!
3,105 Posts
I've got a quick disco for mine because I only use it when I'm wheeling.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The Teraflex bracket works great with my VHF/UHF Antenna.

and they look better on Red Jeeps... Right Scoob!

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
That's a pretty damn elaborate set up you got theere kg4...
Thanks 02prove and hutchman. It's only like that because I had 2 antenna mounts for the dual band radio I had. I didn't want to drill another hole so I just figured out a way to protect the cable.

Scoob, nice mount.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You guys, Scoob, KA5IVR, and kg4kpg all have nice Jeeps! Kinda tough keepin them nice and wheeling them too!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Couple questions about the Tereflex mount, looks like a nice setup.

Does it keep the antenna from hitting the top and is it stout enough while driving off-road?

Do you still need to drill a hole for the coax to go through?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
1,790 Posts

Does it keep the antenna from hitting the top and is it stout enough while driving off-road?

Thanks,
Bob
The antenna hitting the roof will be totally dependant on the antenna. If its a flimsy enough whip then, yes it will hit. But I have run several different kinds of fibreglass antenna's (both 3 and 4 foot) on mine and none have hit.

You will need to drill a 1/4" hole for the extra bolt to go through to hold it still. you can see it in this picture with the coax ground wire going to it. As for the coax it comes through a hole already that's already behind the taillight. Mine comes up behind the light to the mount.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Thanks,
Bob
Bob,

My Ham antenna does not hit the top, but it is because of the antenna. When I mount my Wilson CB antenna there, without a spring, it does not either. If you have a spring on a heavy CB antenna, it might.

The mount has a hole that uses the factory hole behind the light for the coax. I routed it through there and back up through the grommet for the wiring harness into the cab.

I have those light guards and they stiffen the Teraflex mount a lot. Like Scoob, another Ham friend has his Teraflex mounted directly under the light and used the extra hole to attach to the Jeep or the mount can flex some with bigger antennas.

·
Registered
172 Posts
You guys, Scoob, KA5IVR, and kg4kpg all have nice Jeeps! Kinda tough keepin them nice and wheeling them too!
I spent 2 days cleaning my jeep after the CO trip. Scoob doesn't have to worry about that wheeling at the Mall. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts