Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bulge on my upper radiator hose, replaced it (bottom one is fine). Then a few days later I was leaking what I'm sure is radiator fluid but not from the hoses or the radiator. An old wise man said that is a sign my water pump is going out?! Dealership said there is no leak and did a "compression test". I'm not a mechanic.... Any ideas? Suggestions? 4.0 ltr 2000 tj
Thanks!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,370 Posts
Could be the water pump. Water pumps have a small weep hole on the front that leaks when the seal inside the pump starts going bad. If you buy a new water pump, buy the OE factory water pump. Stores like Autozone sell cheap Chinese-made water pumps that even though they include a so-called "lifetime warranty", they aren't worth installing unless you like installing replacement water pumps 2-3X more often.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
Could be the water pump. Water pumps have a small weep hole on the front that leaks when the seal inside the pump starts going bad. If you buy a new water pump, buy the OE factory water pump. Stores like Autozone sell cheap Chinese-made water pumps that even though they include a so-called "lifetime warranty", they aren't worth installing unless you like installing replacement water pumps 2-3X more often.
Right on. How difficult? Not really a "mechanic" but smart enough to figure things out..... I think. Also I have an extended powertrain warranty, wait till it goes and have the dealership fix?
Thanks
:thumb:

·
Knows a couple things...
49,370 Posts
Not difficult but it's a bit of a PITA to do since it's not real easy to get to. I doubt the dealership will consider the water pump to be part of the drivetrain for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
Not difficult but it's a bit of a PITA to do since it's not real easy to get to. I doubt the dealership will consider the water pump to be part of the drivetrain for warranty purposes.
Nice. Maybe with the help of a Chilton manual?
Thanks for your feedback!

·
"Seamed Like a Good Idea
1,200 Posts
Yeah, I have never had a dealer warrenty cover anything that was bolted to the engine. Getting them to cover internal parts is hard enough.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,370 Posts
Nice. Maybe with the help of a Chilton manual?
Thanks for your feedback!
I don't normally recommend Chilton's or Hayne's manuals (they try to cover too many model years in one small manual) but it should be fine for replacing the water pump.

If you swap the water pump yourself, here is one helpful hint to not forget... make sure to be extra careful to get every last smidgen of the old water pump gasket off the block before installing the new waterpump's gasket. Even a small seemingly microscopic piece of the old water pump gasket left behind can cause the new gasket to leak. Clean it, go back and clean it again, then get a small light so you can really see what you're doing and then wire brush it to make sure it's clean enough to perform surgery on. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
If it's not the hose then it's guaranteed to be the pump, the pump gasket or the pump shaft seal. Most pump shaft seals tend to 'go' around the 120k mark. The dreaded 'green drip' is usually the big tip off. The remark about getting a OE pump is right on as well. Chinese stuff is gonna croak in less than 10k miles. You really want to go thru this again in less than 6 months ? Best thing to do is, when you get the OE pump replacement, also have your timing chain done too. You're going to be more than 1/2 way there anyway and the pump needs to come off as a part of the process as well so why not ?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,370 Posts
also have your timing chain done too. You're going to be more than 1/2 way there anyway and the pump needs to come off as a part of the process as well so why not ?
I dunno, the timing chain is a pretty solid component that is good until at least the first major engine overhaul that isn't normally needed until 250-300K miles on the 4.0L.

·
Registered
2002 Jeep TJ 4.0 Automatic with about a four inch lift, 35x12.50x15 Hercules tires
70 Posts
Be sure to use HOAT formula antifreeze. This is a yellow antifreeze. The green is not the correct formula for Jeeps.

·
Registered
02 TJ Sport
1,592 Posts
Be sure to use HOAT formula antifreeze. This is a yellow antifreeze. The green is not the correct formula for Jeeps.
Hopefully he put the right coolant in otherwise he would have ran into more issues by now...you're about 8 years too late...lol

·
Registered
2002 Jeep TJ 4.0 Automatic with about a four inch lift, 35x12.50x15 Hercules tires
70 Posts
Hopefully he put the right coolant in otherwise he would have ran into more issues by now...you're about 8 years too late...lol
I noticed after I posted.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Still good to document ideas and solutions, even if the thread is old. Great resource for people in trouble for the first time with an issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts