Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your opinion on using anti seize on lug nuts?
With PA winter road crews playing hell on anything steel and not protected, I'm thinking of using it.
Wheeling doesn't help keep the lug nuts clean either, so maybe year round protection too.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Disagree, to a point. When I lived in the south, and played in the mud, had the same problem. Lug nuts have a tendency to bond with the lug stud. I used a dab of white lithium grease on the studs before putting the lug nut back on. Never had one loosen on me, and never had to fight to get one off either once I began using the grease. Using actual anti-seize, don't know, but grease works great with no adverse affects.

Just my thoughts...

·
Registered
50 Posts
The lug nuts are supposed to be torqued dry. Just make sure the wheel studs are clean and dry. If you rotate your wheels regularly then the lugs shouldn't seize up. i never had a problem with them seizing and if they did i have an air impact that will remove it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
It's generally recommended that lubricant not be used on lug nuts as the specified torque of 90 to 100 ft.lbs. is based on no lubrication. Check your Owner Manual for the actual specified torque.

Lubrication will reduce friction at the threads as well as the interface between the lug nut and the wheel, resulting in more torque being applied to the stud, lug nut and the assembly.

I usually use a light lubricant and back off the torque by 5 to 10 ft.lbs.

Antiseize - maybe; synthetic high temperature disc brake lubricant - maybe; WD-40 - maybe; Rust Check Coat and Protect - yes.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Having had too many seized lug nuts over the years, I never install lug nuts without using antiseize on the threads. It's good stuff for lug nuts, tie rod threads and tie rod ends, track bar adjustment link, etc.. Since using antiseize, I have had no more seized lug nuts or any other related problems including galling that is common when dissimilar metals are threaded together as can happen with some lug nuts.

Just remember that if you apply antiseize to the threads, that you also must reduce the torque setting by approximately 30% to avoid over tightening the lug nuts. So if you tighten your lug nuts to 100 ft-lbs. without antiseize, the appropriate tightness with antiseize will be about 70 ft-lbs. to achieve the same clamping force and stress on the lug nut studs. :)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Always use some kind of lube. Anti-seize is great, it doesn't wash off like oils can. Just try to get it off your fingers!

If the threads are rusty or dirty, it's possible to hog down on a fastener to the torque specs or even beyond, without the surfaces to be clamped even touching!
Lube helps to overcome the turning resistance so the fastener can do what's it's designed for.

Torque specs measure the turning force in order to get the clamping force correct. But anything that increases the turning force reduces the clamping force - and fools you. That's why modern technology measures fastener stretch rather than turning force.

The rule - NEVER put a fastener on dry - thread locker, sealer, or lube.

Torque specs called out are for NEW, not used, clean, and lubed lug nuts.

LOL Picture this - put a rusty stud in a vise, screw a rusty lug nut on it till in binds, but meets torque specs. Does that mean the wheels will be tight?

·
Registered
828 Posts
after breaking one last time i took my wheel off, i put a little grease on them. no problems with them so far.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Every thing i own has antisieze on the lug nuts, never had any problems with them coming loose. At the shop i work in everything gets oil put on them. I personaly go through a can of antisieze faster than i go through underware.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have used Antisieze on lug nuts for DECADES without any ill effects.

While it may be tough to wash off your fingers, it is one of the best products in the automotive world in my opinion!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Missed the point?

The reason I mentioned it's hard to wash off your fingers is it doesn't wash off as easy as oils do, leaving the studs unprotected.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have put anti sieze on every lugnut I have owned since I was in high school. (thats at least 15 vehicles) Never a problem and never a stuck lugnut.
Also, a lot of times, I will put a thin smear on the hub face. You know why if you have ever had rims stick to the hub face and have to wail on them to get them off.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree, you should not use it on your lugs. TJeep gives a pretty good explanation of why not.
But he does use lube. Maybe not anti seize, but still a lube.

I have the anti seize as well as white lithium grease. Maybe I'll try one on one side and the other on the opposite side and see which seems to work better.
Just gotta remember to drop the torque.
Thanks all.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Hmmm, man antiseize has been around for decades? I've never used it on anything besides sparkplugs, and in 29 years I have never had a problem getting a lugnut off. Maybe its because I am not a girl (not saying there aren't girls out there that wouldn't have a problem either, yuk). After saying that, I do believe it won't hurt at all to use it. We do use it on threads of the pins that hold the blades on the helicopter I work on. That is however the only threads we use it on. Other places we use oil for the sole purpose of lowering the friction torque of self locking nuts. There are different kinds of antiseize, and if you use the wrong kinds on the wrong metals, you will create corrosion. Different ones have different metals in them. Can't say I have ever whipped out my torque wrench to torque lugnuts either. If it was that critical, I know there is a torque, they wouldn't give you a lugwrench to change a tire with, they would give you a torque wrench.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Rich, I was just joking about the washing thing. It is just good stuff.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Always used antisieze

I've been using it on all my vehicles lugnuts for 20 years never a problem. Started doing it after breaking off a few studs on my 78 pickup trying to bust them loose after a long winter of salt and mud.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
Hmmm, man antiseize has been around for decades? I've never used it on anything besides sparkplugs, and in 29 years I have never had a problem getting a lugnut off. Maybe its because I am not a girl (not saying there aren't girls out there that wouldn't have a problem either, yuk).
That you haven't had a problem means nothing and that you imply those of us who have are "girls" is showing just a bit of an attitude. I had to twist off 5 seized lug nuts on a Rubicon I purchased back in May which snapped the studs off in doing so. Considering my larger alloy axle shafts, larger bolt pattern, and larger stud sizes they use, it was a PITA to replace the studs which would not have happened had the previous owner just used a bit of antiseize on the threads. There was evidence of galling which caused the lug nuts to seize. I guess I must be a girly guy to have had a problem getting those lug nuts off. And in 47 years of driving and working on my vehicles, I have seen the issue off and on over the years. Perhaps when you have more experience than merely 29 years you might have seen it. :mad:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts