Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
No

·
Registered
823 Posts
Does it help? Yes.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Define "necessary".....

Are you in Southern Cali or North Dakota?
Mall Crawler or Rock Humper?
Daily Driver or Weekend Toy?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
do a search, there are many posts on this that come with many opinions. as panthermark says, it depends on how you use your jeep and where you live.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
That's crazy talk. This topic hardly gets any love at all. We've only had a dozen threads on it the last 30 days or so.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't get why it's such a hard choice for people... maybe when they find one on the lot they like that doesn't have it? When i went to the dealer I laid out what I wanted and ignored anything they tried to show me that didn't have it. It's what, a $95 option? get it.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
$295

·
Super Moderator
23,782 Posts
ditto the 3.73 is the $95 option. Mine came with the anti spin option but I would have rather had the 3.73 option lol. I'm not sure how durable the anti-spin in the jeep will be but I ordered one in 97 in a hd 3/4 ton gmc pu with a 454 and it got used and lasted for as long as I had the truck.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
my 08JK with LSD/3.73 is necessary in my life style and a deal-breaker were such not available....

I live rural Oregon, lots of mud/rain/sleet/snow/gravel/logging roads etc. The LSD is so effective it is rare that I need to shift into 4x4....but that too is really nice to have available.

If I were on pavement flat lands more of the time, I'd STILL prefer LSD/3.73.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
ditto the 3.73 is the $95 option. Mine came with the anti spin option but I would have rather had the 3.73 option lol. I'm not sure how durable the anti-spin in the jeep will be but I ordered one in 97 in a hd 3/4 ton gmc pu with a 454 and it got used and lasted for as long as I had the truck.
Word on the street is that they are getting $195 for 3.73s now even though the website still says $95. I was in the same boat. Looked for 3.73 with LSD and couldn't find anything. Almost bought one with 3.73 and no LSD with the intentions of installing an LSD myself, but my wife decided she wanted power convenience group and we ended up ordering the whole thing instead.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Yeah, it is now $195 for a gear upgrade (3.73's or 4.10's). The price increased on 10/1...and I purchased on 10/10....so trust me....it did go up. Jeep has not updated their website yet (November 1st is what I'm hearing). Salt in the wound....

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have the 4.10 gears and anti spin rear axle options. Basically it's a Detroit Eaton track lock LSD.
Great factory option and well worth it. Hooks up well and the LSD clutches haven't worn out yet after 40,000 miles. Put the Eaton Track Lock LSD in the front axle and the Jeep goes anywhere I want it to. All 4 tires turn together off road.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
If I get bored later, I'll start another "LS diff?" thread. 78 of them isn't enough. :)

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I have the 4.10 gears and anti spin rear axle options. Basically it's a Detroit Eaton track lock LSD.
Great factory option and well worth it. Hooks up well and the LSD clutches haven't worn out yet after 40,000 miles. Put the Eaton Track Lock LSD in the front axle and the Jeep goes anywhere I want it to. All 4 tires turn together off road.
Hmmm.....I've seen it advertised on websites as the Dana Trac Lok.

·
Registered
892 Posts
It is a Dana axle. I am pretty sure Detroit does not make the LSD.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts