Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple years ago i had a 97 tj that was close to stock and a 4 cyl, nothing impressive. i parked at the mall one day and someone tried to steal it in the hour i was gone. :mad: The ignition tumbler was all tweaked and never easy to start again. It was a great intro to the tj lifestyle and after i sold it i was dying to get another one and built a nice machine. in july i got another '97 tj and have invested thousands apon thousands of dollars plus countless hours into it thus far and love the jeep but every time i park it i wonder if it will still be there when i get back (let alone all intact)...so im kicking around some ideas for preventative measures against such an event and wondering if anyone has successfully detured a would be theif with something they did (besides a steering wheel bar). - so far the best i can come up with is interupting the power to the fuel sending unit/pump with a toggle switch hidden near the front seat. Although this wouldnt prevent the thief, they wouldnt get far and it would be easier to recover...any ideas?

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
A starter disrupt is a very good way to make sure the whole vehicle is not stolen, but just keep in mind that if someone really wants your Jeep or something inside of it they will have it. All you can do is make your Jeep less appealing than the next Jeep for them to break into. I have an alarm on my Jeep and I know that does not keep everyone away, but most people will leave a vehicle alone where I live if they know an alarm will go off. (I am sure it is the red blinking light.) You may not live in a place like that though. My alarm serves as a determinant and it also has a kill switch in it. I know there are ways around all of these, but this works for me and the small town I live it. Sure would not work if I still lived in Detroit.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have an alarm that will go off if someone try's anything along with a bright blue flashing LED light in the dashboard. So far so good but it just depends on the thief. My father no longer owns a wrangler but he has a sticker in the back window of his car saying something about supporting state troopers or something along with a car alarm. whether that would work or not, I don't know like I said it would depend on the thief. But it might just get you out of a traffic ticket. :D

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
RAVELCO PRICING

Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price - Installed
(US Dollars)
Cars & Light Trucks $469.95
2008 - 2011 F-250/350/450 Super Duty $499.95
Big Rig & Heavy Equipment $499.95
Extra Ravelco Plugs (order) $30.00

Looks like a fairly good idea except I wonder how you pack that silly little plug around and heaven forbid that you're on a road trip, lost the cap and the spare is 500 miles away locked up in the safe.

OK, one other thing, the color does not blend in to any of the interiors. It would be an eyesore but I really like the idea!

·
Registered
988 Posts
When you park, pop the hood and disconnect the spark plug wires :D

Or jam a small rod under the gas pedal that is invisible to you when you look down at the gas pedal.

These are just simple ideas that may help at least stall a thief.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Cps

Pop the hood and disconnect the crank position sensor cable at the plug. I have even thought about installing a kill wire there. It will turn over but never start....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I been thinking about installing a hidden switch in the center console that I can activate by sticking my finger down through the brushes on the transfer case lever opening. For ease of installation, most likely I'll just conect it into the clutch switch. I know this will not stop a pro but where I live, I'm more concerned with stoping the dumb kids that jack 4x4s for late night drunken off road joy rides.

·
Dont forget a Jack strap
30,851 Posts
I used this method on my buses. Put a non descript swith in that interrupts battery power or two one that gives power to the jeep and one too the starter
The glock method works too and actually
We have a switch that turns on the bathroom lights and the power

·
Registered
340 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Jeeps are easy to steal that is for sure. It's like how to protect a stereo when you have a rag top....don't lock the door!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I carry a 1911 .45 on a daily basis so I dare ya to mess with my TJ :D

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just curious, why do you say it is easy to steal a Jeep?

My old Camaro and current Corvette had some chip on the ignition key. What makes Jeeps an easy target?

·
Registered
72 Posts
hidden ignition switch. make them consider getting a wrecker for you car if they want to steal it.. noone but you should know the location of the hidden switch

·
Registered
62 Posts
When you park, pop the hood and disconnect the spark plug wires
Silly YJ... TJs don't have plug wires. They have coil packs! :)

I actually do a similar thing with my vintage VW. When I park it, I pull off the coil cable and take it with me. For a TJ, I'd probably wire up a hidden kill switch somewhere.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts