Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So shortly after doing a rad flush I started to smell antifreeze after parking the jeep in the garage. Once I did notice a leak from the drain valve at the bottom of the radiator but that was only once. I can't see a leak and the overflow seems to hold it level with maybe a slight drop. I have checked the oil and it does not smell sweet or appear to contaminated. Any ideas of where to look/test next?

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Check the heater core...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How would I do that? Wouldn't the carpet be wet on the passenger side??

The heater and Ac work well and there is no wetness on the floor.

I do not smell any thing inside. Just when I park it in the garage. I can smell it outside but only when I sniff around the grill

Also exhaust has no smell of antifreeze.

·
Registered
892 Posts
How would I do that? Wouldn't the carpet be wet on the passenger side??

The heater and Ac work well and there is no wetness on the floor.

I do not smell any thing inside. Just when I park it in the garage. I can smell it outside but only when I sniff around the grill

Also exhaust has no smell of antifreeze.
could be a very small leak.

·
Registered
908 Posts
check the top of the rad. at the seem where they pinched the 2 pices together . I've seen 4 wranglers with a slight leak at that seem .just enuf to make a slight smell

·
Registered
75 Posts
It seems to take a while for the smell to leave after spilling anti freeze in the engine compartment. I don't know if it's burning off or what. As long as you're not losing fluid, you should be fine.

·
Banned
139 Posts
If you didn't rinse down the entire engine compartment after changing the coolant, do that first on a COLD engine. Sometimes coolant will splash onto exhaust components or along the side of the block, and will stink for weeks.

After doing this and drying everything out well, if you still smell it, crawl underneath and take a look for a leak. I've seen small leaks that smelled strongly, but saw nothing on the garage floor, and it was usually a small radiator leak along a seam that would never drip for some reason.

·
Registered
26,916 Posts
could be a very small leak.
check the top of the rad. at the seem where they pinched the 2 pices together . I've seen 4 wranglers with a slight leak at that seem .just enuf to make a slight smell
That's how mine started. Then it got worse. The OEM radiatior on the TJ is known to a ticking bomb. It will fail at the tank crimp either on the top or bottom, or both. Replace it with an all metal unit from radiatorbarn.com. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Mine has had the same smell for the last year...but only if I drive it for a short distance..maybe 10 minutes or so.
If I drive it longer then I get no smell. I have checked everything I can think of and can't find the leak although I know there has to be one somewhere. I keep waiting for it to get worse... but no luck so far. I know it is going to bite me in the butt one day at the worst possible time!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts