Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
I always use a 50/50 mix of green coolant. My radiator is getting some age on it and it stool looks brand new and the fluid is nice and clean.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,407 Posts
It varies by model year, your Owner's Manual will tell you what type of coolant to use. Likely it will say HOAT if you have a newer TJ. Make sure that if you don't buy premixed coolant, to ONLY use distilled water to mix with the coolant. Tap water is full of dissolved minerals which will start building up inside the radiator which reduces its ability to cool.

·
Registered
562 Posts
While we're on this subject, what's the name of the stuff that is safe to mix with any type coolant?

I mean, there are a lot of coolants that say safe for all engines, but what's that word I'm looking for that means EXACTLY that?

Thanks

·
Knows a couple things...
49,407 Posts
Can't say what the exact name is for safe-for-all-coolants stuff is but any coolant you find on the shelf that is safe for all types of coolants will say that in big letters on the front of the bottle it comes in.

·
Registered
739 Posts
While we're on this subject, what's the name of the stuff that is safe to mix with any type coolant?

I mean, there are a lot of coolants that say safe for all engines, but what's that word I'm looking for that means EXACTLY that?

Thanks
"Universal" maybe????
Take a look at the Peak site. 10ez Steps to Change Your Own Antifreeze plus all the various antifreezes they have on tap. Note, there's no HOAT per sae, mainly OAT.
They have a "lifetime" antifreeze as well.

Starting in 2001, HOAT became the OE antifreeze. It is made solely by Valvoline and marketed as Zerex G-05, Mopar 5yr/100,000 mile, Motorcraft Premium Gold, etc.

Here's a Post of interest.

If you get work done by the Dealer, there're rebates available.

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
OP, do you have an owners manual for your rig? They are nice to have and are easy to find online. Saves a lot of head scratching.

·
Registered
48 Posts
It was originally designed to run HOAT Mopar stuff. You can get the Zerex g-05 at Napa. It's a gold bottle and says good for Chrysler and Jeep on it.

Use whatever you like, but this is what it was designed to use and what was designed to be used in it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
"Universal" maybe????
Take a look at the Peak site. 10ez Steps to Change Your Own Antifreeze plus all the various antifreezes they have on tap. Note, there's no HOAT per sae, mainly OAT.
They have a "lifetime" antifreeze as well.

Starting in 2001, HOAT became the OE antifreeze. It is made solely by Valvoline and marketed as Zerex G-05, Mopar 5yr/100,000 mile, Motorcraft Premium Gold, etc.

Here's a Post of interest.

If you get work done by the Dealer, there're rebates available.
I don't think it's universal, but could be. That would be to easy to remember! I know I was talking with my mechanic about this after he worked on my kids car, which also uses Dex-Cool crap and he showed me a jug of coolant with the word on it that I can't think of for the life of me!!

I looked at the Peak site, amongst others, a while back, trying to remember that word it's called.

Taking a trip to the parts store tomorrow to look it up!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Use the yellow Prestone stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts