Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
currently i've got 2 juvenile oscars,2 emerald corys, and 1 gourami. i had 2 big oscars and 1 big jack dempsey along with assorted large bottom feeders but they got to big and i decided to start over. the gourami is only there because i had a community tank and he is the last survivor. i now use the 55 gal community tank to breed goldfish for the oscars.

·
Banned
2 Posts
I see that this thread did not found any followers from 2010 year. Very strange. Only you are the aquarium enthusiast here) I also like aquariums and right now I am building a reef tank on my own. Would like to make something special. Right now I am making some reef tank parts following the (Link Deleted) Hope I am doing everything properly.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I've had tanks on and off since in high school. Only one time did I dabble in salt water, everything else was fresh water. I currently have a 125 gallon "native" tank in my garage which is probably my favorite tank every. It has 2 hybrid blue gill, 5 red ear sunfish, 2 perch, and a bullhead (yellowbelly) catfish. The only non native is an albino bushy nose pleco to help keep it clean. I have live plants in it and some higher powered lights so the pleco helps. I used to have this tank set up as a planted angle fish tank, with a school of neon tetras and some cory cats. I really liked the looks of that tank but it ran RO water and it was a lot more work. The natives just get water straight from the well. They are very hardy but they destroy the live plants I have in there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I used to have a 110 salt tank with a 30 gallon sump. Spent 3 months building the stand from scratch, to have bookshelves on either side. I still use the base design for shelves all the time--google "Rocket Engineer fish tank stand." Learned a lot about woodworking, even made the cabinet doors by hand with a router.

Cut a hole in the wall behind the tank and put the sump and water treatment equipment in guest bathroom closet on the other side of the wall. Because it was right there in the bathroom, I cut a hole and added a drain connected to bathtub, and tapped the cold water line, so I could do water changes by opening one valve to pump water in the drain, and then it would refill with premixed saltwater with a valve up top. RODI water on a float valve to keep it topped off. Reefangel to monitor it remotely, automated fish feeder. It was amazing, practically ran itself.

Fish were cool too. Sold it in a divorce and lost a ton of money, just like the guy I bought the tank from lost a lot of money when he sold it to me. Still think about setting up another smaller one, but I don't think I'll find another setup so convenient with the drain and water taps, and I can't stomach the thought of doing water changes with a bucket. It's gotta be all or nothing, completely automated so I can leave for a week and it just works.

One of my favorite memories was buying 2 expensive shrimp, spending all day drip acclimating them, only to have a fish eat them two days later, swimming around with an antenna sticking out of his mouth like a farmer. $60 wasted on fish food but it was kind of humorous in a dark way.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The water changes were part of what I hated about the RO angle fish tank I had. I have had other tanks that use tap water and I use a Python for them, including my current set up. On my current tank I just hit the bypass on my water softener and hook the Python to a sink, turn it on and it acts as a gravel vac and sucks out the water. Then close the valve off and turn the water back on and it fills the tank back up. After using one I probably wouldn't have another tank that that I have to haul water to.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have an 8' Reef. Currently have a little Flurry Clown, some Wrasses of various sorts, a long horn cowfish, and a Gem Tang. (and a snowflake eel, some urchins, and a few shrimp of various types)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts