Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
JW Speaker's LEDs are premium. Your link doesn't show the landed price in Canada, but I suspect it will be premium as well once shipping gets factored in.

These are made by JW Speaker for Quadratec:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/heated-led-projector-beam-headlamps-jeep-wrangler-jk

Shipping to Canada kind of negates some of the savings of buying in the US. I am on the west coast, close enough to have parts ordered online shipped to a PO box service and drive south of the border to pick them up myself- not sure if you are far enough south to do the same.

Edit- see the price now- almost $400 per light USD.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was looking last night and thought I saw the J2 Speakers for $550 a pair from a Canadian site. I looked again they are that much each. Guess I’ll keep looking - maybe not quite so late at night though.

·
Registered
726 Posts
JW Speaker's LEDs are premium. Your link doesn't show the landed price in Canada, but I suspect it will be premium as well once shipping gets factored in.

These are made by JW Speaker for Quadratec:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/heated-led-projector-beam-headlamps-jeep-wrangler-jk

Shipping to Canada kind of negates some of the savings of buying in the US. I am on the west coast, close enough to have parts ordered online shipped to a PO box service and drive south of the border to pick them up myself- not sure if you are far enough south to do the same.

Edit- see the price now- almost $400 per light USD.
I have a price of $1,267 for the Mopar LED from my dealer, think that is the route that I will go.

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
What would greatly concern me, if I was attempting to retrofit factory LED's onto my ride, is:

SOLD AS IS, NO RETURNS
YOU WILL HAVE TO USE JB WELD, ZIP TIE, or SIMILAR TO ASSURE A TIGHT FIT

In order to install you will need to remove your headlight AND bucket behind it and replace it with the one piece headlight that we send!

I would strongly recommend sticking with aftermarket LED's.

·
Registered
726 Posts
What would greatly concern me, if I was attempting to retrofit factory LED's onto my ride, is:

The bucket removal is a simple pull, then simply .reinstall the new one. When you factor the exchange difference, the duty and any other expenses, the aftermarket ones wont be any cheaper.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts

That is what I did for mine back in '16. Before purchasing, I was weighing going with the Mopar LEDs made by JW Speaker (before Mopar had Magna make the OEM LEDs introduced on a number of models in 2017). I went with the JW Speaker Evolution J, a 2016 version purchased through an authorized vendor here on the forum at a good price. They have been great.

The nature of the '17 and newer LEDS is that they are a press fit on the mounting studs- much like the halogen headlamp buckets, and are only designed to be installed once rather than installed, removed and then retrofitted onto another Jeep. There were a number of threads here on the forum a couple of years ago about members installing take-off 2017+ LEDs from Rubitrux, and there didn't seem to be too many buyers reporting issues beyond flickering, mostly due to not programming the appropriate sales code to the Jeep.

No thanks. No warranty, no go.
I understand- only suggested as the price new from the dealer seems extreme for a pair of headlights. I suspect Rubitrux's disclaimer is because the mounting holes can become damaged if removed without extreme care.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2017-oem-led-headlight-review-1884713-29.html

I have been happy with my aftermarket JWS ($399 US at the time for a pair, shipped to a mail service and then brought back to Canada). While JW Speaker's Jeep headlights have gotten a fair bit more complicated and expensive since I bought mine, if I had to do it all over again, the heated Quadratec version or the non-heated J2 from JWS would probably be my personal choice. I would have a hard time justifying $1200+ CDN for a pair of headlights.

·
Registered
726 Posts
That is what I did for mine back in '16. Before purchasing, I was weighing going with the Mopar LEDs made by JW Speaker (before Mopar had Magna make the OEM LEDs introduced on a number of models in 2017). I went with the JW Speaker Evolution J, a 2016 version purchased through an authorized vendor here on the forum at a good price. They have been great.

The nature of the '17 and newer LEDS is that they are a press fit on the mounting studs- much like the halogen headlamp buckets, and are only designed to be installed once rather than installed, removed and then retrofitted onto another Jeep. There were a number of threads here on the forum a couple of years ago about members installing take-off 2017+ LEDs from Rubitrux, and there didn't seem to be too many buyers reporting issues beyond flickering, mostly due to not programming the appropriate sales code to the Jeep.

I understand- only suggested as the price new from the dealer seems extreme for a pair of headlights. I suspect Rubitrux's disclaimer is because the mounting holes can become damaged if removed without extreme care.

https://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2017-oem-led-headlight-review-1884713-29.html

I have been happy with my aftermarket JWS ($399 US at the time for a pair, shipped to a mail service and then brought back to Canada). While JW Speaker's Jeep headlights have gotten a fair bit more complicated and expensive since I bought mine, if I had to do it all over again, the heated Quadratec version or the non-heated J2 from JWS would probably be my personal choice. I would have a hard time justifying $1200+ CDN for a pair of headlights.
The Quadratec heated LED are $599USD, add exchsnge and taxes/duty and they wont be much cheaper than the Mopar units.

Plus, if I have an issue which is covered under warranty, my dealer is 15 minutes away.

Convenience is worth it to me.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
WillB;34455217[B said:
]The Quadratec heated LED are $599USD[/B], add exchsnge and taxes/duty and they wont be much cheaper than the Mopar units.

Plus, if I have an issue which is covered under warranty, my dealer is 15 minutes away.

Not taking the forum discount into consideration, yes.

Good luck. You will like the light output. Make sure they flash the Jeep with the appropriate sales code so you don't get flicker.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I’m in LA in a few weeks so I’m planning on picking up some of the Quadratec ones and at least save the duty.

Someone from Saskatchewan commented that the heated ones “weren’t an issue”. Their weather is nasty - I used to live there. Would love to hear their experience.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The Quadratec heated LED are $599USD, add exchsnge and taxes/duty and they wont be much cheaper than the Mopar units.

I'm in southern Ontario (Halton+London) and have the factory LEDs and they are GARBAGE in wet snow. They ice over in 5 minutes in steady wet snow, no exaggeration. I regret buying them. They're great in the summer, but we have winter for 6 months a year. I had halogens on my first JK and they worked better in the winter bc they produced enough heat to melt the same type of snow. It doesn't take a lot of snow/ice build up to start blocking light. If I don't end up trading in my JK I will be buying heated LEDs.

If I were you, I would get heated aftermarket LEDs. It wont be convenient when you have to keep getting out to wipe off your headlights.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I’m in LA in a few weeks so I’m planning on picking up some of the Quadratec ones and at least save the duty.

Someone from Saskatchewan commented that the heated ones “weren’t an issue”. Their weather is nasty - I used to live there. Would love to hear their experience.
I'd recommend the heated ones.

·
Registered
173 Posts

lack of heated LED's was a non-issue for me this past winter

we don't get the volume of wet, heavy, driving snow that can happen around the great lakes tho (to be fair)

I mean, maybe I also have shitty LED's tho, cause after having the LED's on for 10+ minutes, they will definitely be warm to the touch (I wouldn't want to swap out the lights by hand right after getting back from buying new ones)

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'm in southern Ontario (Halton+London) and have the factory LEDs and they are GARBAGE in wet snow. They ice over in 5 minutes in steady wet snow, no exaggeration. I regret buying them. They're great in the summer, but we have winter for 6 months a year. I had halogens on my first JK and they worked better in the winter bc they produced enough heat to melt the same type of snow. It doesn't take a lot of snow/ice build up to start blocking light. If I don't end up trading in my JK I will be buying heated LEDs.

If I were you, I would get heated aftermarket LEDs. It wont be convenient when you have to keep getting out to wipe off your headlights.
Thanks! Maybe I will but the Quadratec Heated LED’s.

·
Registered
221 Posts

I live in Toronto and also have the factory LEDs. They do ice over but it takes that really wet sideways windy snow for it to happen. And I think in those kinds of conditions your headlights will ice over regardless. I know that my wipers ice up more than the lights, so when I get out to clean off wipers I just clean off the headlights too.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Yeah, this was in another thread too. There's not just one kind of snow.
I used to live "up north" ---- you can have your light/fluffy snow when it's below zero F or you can have your heavy/wet snow when it's hovering around freezing.
The wet snow hits your LED headlight and freezes to it (evaporative cooling). Glazes the dang thing over and the lights go dark. Fast.
If I lived where it was only dry snow I'd never even think of heated headlights...

The @Quadratec heated units are very very good.
These are a bit better and These are a step below. I'd run any of the three though.

Reactions: basicxj and WillB

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks. Heated Quadratec ones it is. Do they ever go on sale? Any cheaper places/ways to get them?

I was thinking of adding also adding a light bar with high/lows for fog and as driving lights. Over kill?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts