Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im just wondering, is there is any way to put a better transmission behind the 3.8l engine? either auto or manual? or is there any upgrades/mods available for the nsg370?

i have the nsg370 currently in my jk. as for trading out my jeep, that is not even on the table. i have too much tied up in my current jeep to trade.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just with how slow you have to shift it. i can never seem to get a smooth/consistent shift with it either. (maybe due to the clutch?) would swapping in the heavier centerforce flywheel help?

im contemplating swapping to the 4speed auto that came on the 3.8l, as much as it sucks, i feel that it would be smoother than the 6 speed. but im not sure what i would need to change to do that swap even. i know i would need to have the ecu programmed, but im not sure if the wiring harness on the manual is setup for the auto already (guessing its not). i could pick up the 42rle for about $150 in a junkyard out of a liberty.

·
Registered
166 Posts
cost effective option would be spend some time getting a better feel for it and think about your shifting habits. Another much cheaper option is go to a different shifter type.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had my 2010 for about 2 years with the same transmission. Going from a two door coupe to the jeep took a little getting used to, but once I realized I wasn't in sports car anymore it became a lot smoother.

You say "shifting slowly", do you mean the time it's taking to get to the RPMs you want to shift at, or actually moving the gear shift from, for example 1st-2nd gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the actual moving of the shifter, its almost like the synchros are not working like they should to slow/speed the gears to engage quick enough. and when i try to time the revs, it usually lurches me forward because the revs have fallen to quickly to time the clutch engagement properly. then there it the clutch. i have driven a car that had a high engagement point for two years, but this one just seems completely inconsistent in how it grabs. it never feels like it grabs at the same place. but that might just be the fly by wire throttle messing me up (i LOVE a cable throttle!).

@mrsuthern , what do you mean by a different shifter type? i already have a cue ball style shifter knob, and it does feel better than the stocker to shift, but it did increase the height considerably (which i thought felt better).

it just never feels consistent, and this is the third manual vehicle i have daily driven in the past 7 years, so im no stranger to them, and actually prefer them. but the jk setup just doesnt seem to jive with me. i have tried the different pedal programs on the flashpaq, i have taken the inside spring out of the throttle pedal (softer, more responsive feel), but nothing has seemed to make the whole thing intuitive to use.

IDK, maybe im just being to picky with it?

i have been driving it for a year, but it just doesnt feel intuitive to drive.

my 92 f150 with the 4 speed felt better to drive with a bad 2nd gear synchro!

·
Registered
787 Posts
By different shifter type, I think he is referring to an aftermarket shift lever like the B&M or Hurst units.

These shorten the throw by changing the fulcrum point.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By different shifter type, I think he is referring to an aftermarket shift lever like the B&M or Hurst units.

These shorten the throw by changing the fulcrum point.

the B&M shifter might work ok, but i think its more to do with the gears not actually changing speed quick enough. since i changed to redline MTL, it crunches into third gear now, so im sure thats to do with the fluid. a good clean with kerosene and fill with mopar fluid should fix that.

when i first switched to the redline MTL, shifting definitely felt quicker/slicker. but as time has progressed, its now crunching into 2nd and third and seems to take longer to shift into those gears.

maybe i should just try switching to the mopar fluid and see how it feels then? a new clutch is probably in the works too. maybe the heavier flywheel would smoothen out the engagement?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Swapping an auto in place of a manual transmission

just with how slow you have to shift it. i can never seem to get a smooth/consistent shift with it either. (maybe due to the clutch?) would swapping in the heavier centerforce flywheel help?

im contemplating swapping to the 4speed auto that came on the 3.8l, as much as it sucks, i feel that it would be smoother than the 6 speed. but im not sure what i would need to change to do that swap even. i know i would need to have the ecu programmed, but im not sure if the wiring harness on the manual is setup for the auto already (guessing its not). i could pick up the 42rle for about $150 in a junkyard out of a liberty.
I had a 2010 JKU Rubi with the 6 speed manual tranny and actually explored this idea. It turns out it's way more than I thought from the wiring harness to the computer and different splines to the transfer case. I ditched the idea after learning all that. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
The NSG370 is junk and there is nothing you can do to fix it. And there are no adapters made to put a decent transmission behind the 3.6. Fiat finally replaced the NSG370 with an Asian transmission but it's to new to know if it will be as good as the old AX15. But it should be swapable into a JK if you want to be the guinea pig. A smarter move would be to swap in a 6.0 LS and a 4l80e and get rid of all the Fiat junk.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I have had my 08 for almost 4 years and it shifts much better than my 05 TJ. The passenger's head bobs a little on the upshifts but I can grab the throttle at the exact point the clutch re-engages. On my 05, I was the 4th owner at 23k and the clutch was very choppy for the first 30k after that. It get better but my 09 is much better than the 05 ever was.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
I have had my 08 for almost 4 years and it shifts much better than my 05 TJ. The passenger's head bobs a little on the upshifts but I can grab the throttle at the exact point the clutch re-engages. On my 05, I was the 4th owner at 23k and the clutch was very choppy for the first 30k after that. It get better but my 09 is much better than the 05 ever was.

NSG370 is the same junk that was in the 05-06 TJ's. They updated the reverse parts because they wouldn't stay in gear by the time the JK came out. But the transmission is still a pile of crap and the worst transmission "jeep" has used since the peugeot.

You would think someone would make an adapter to swap a good transmission into a JK. But i guess they dont think there would be enough demand to swap a 4-5 speed since the loss of a gear would make the JK even more of a pooch than it is already. The best bet is just to swap the entire driveline out for something better.

The build quality of the NSG370 is beyond garbage. Asian has always built good quality transmissions so the new JL 6 speed should be much better but only time will tell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts