Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stuck in with ice today killing some time here. I read they are introducing Direct Injection to the 3.6 p-star engine in 2016. Here's the confusion to me at least. They said the GC would get it first. Does that mean the Wrangler will have the same engine w-o direct injection for 2016?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Have no idea on this one, but one thing I'd sure wonder about is how well their D.I. setup has been designed? Many of them out there, including the Cadillac CTS I used to own with the 3.6 V6, have issues where the valves get all gummed up with oil and deposits since the cleaner additives in the fuel never get the chance to flow past them. (They're directly injecting the gas into the cylinders, after all.)

I had to use an oil catch can, plumbed in to the PCV system, to help catch oil spray before it could get into the air intake, in order to prevent it from causing issues over time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
^^^^ what he said. I'm on the Silverado forums as I have a 2014 and some of the guys are posting pictures of the buildup they are experiencing with 20k miles on the motor. Looks as if the valves have 80K+ miles on them. I'd rather do without DI.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DI makes for more carbon buildup for extra MPGs, better off without it

Yep- After the problems they had in 2012 with cylinder heads, DI would be like starting over again with all the growing pains of a new engine. I wouldn't want direct injection until Chrysler had them in use for a few years. Hopefully for the people planning on buying a 2016 that don't want direct injection they'll know soon enough and be able to buy a 2015 w-o it. I was asking for a shipmate buddy of mine who is patiently waiting on a 2016, but would buy a 2015 if need be.

I guess the next question is will he have ample time to get a new 2015 if things don't go his way with direct injection?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Besides mpg are there any other benefits of direct injection on a motor like our pentastar?

A little more hp. He'd rather pass on that, I would too to be honest. They got the p-star right I think, why risk f'ing it up? EPA/Cafe I guess. Too late now, its done. The question he had was does the Wrangler get one more year, and the GC gets to be the test dummy in 2016?

·
Registered
526 Posts
A little more hp. He'd rather pass on that, I would too to be honest. They got the p-star right I think, why risk f'ing it up? EPA/Cafe I guess. Too late now, its done. The question he had was does the Wrangler get one more year, and the GC gets to be the test dummy in 2016?
From my understanding the CURRENT pentastar is considered by many in the industry as one of THE best motors made. Sounds like they're playing with fire with di to appease Epa requirements with minimal hp gains?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
Stuck in with ice today killing some time here. I read they are introducing Direct Injection to the 3.6 p-star engine in 2016. Here's the confusion to me at least. They said the GC would get it first. Does that mean the Wrangler will have the same engine w-o direct injection for 2016?
If you are reading that I read, that was all just someone pure guess work, from several years ago (5 years?).

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I'm not sure what you read, what I read was more recent from late 2014.
If its the same article, while "updated" in late 2014, it is all based on info originating from back around 2006. While such might have been a true plan back then, lots has happened since.

This is the part of the "root" article that I am referring to:

The following table was first provided in July 2006 with information from oh20, in a form not dissimilar from its current state. Horsepower ratings were derived later, by us, from the Five Year Plan and other sources.

·
Registered
971 Posts
My experience with G D I was nothing but good with Ford's 3.5 ecoboost 102 k not a single problem. Diesel's run nothing but air over the intake valves And run million + miles

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
Have no idea on this one, but one thing I'd sure wonder about is how well their D.I. setup has been designed? Many of them out there, including the Cadillac CTS I used to own with the 3.6 V6, have issues where the valves get all gummed up with oil and deposits since the cleaner additives in the fuel never get the chance to flow past them. (They're directly injecting the gas into the cylinders, after all.)

I had to use an oil catch can, plumbed in to the PCV system, to help catch oil spray before it could get into the air intake, in order to prevent it from causing issues over time.
The catch can is not something that is unique to direct injection but is an issue with PCV system design in general. Whenever the PCV system is operating you are always pulling in oily air. In the worst case you can pull in oil. This is a problem with the C6 Corvette. IMO a catch can is probably always a good idea if you want to keep your intake system as clean as possible.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
It took me until my current "ripe old age" to learn (and embrace) the Value of something that WORKS.
Leave it Alone and don't "Fix It".

That's why my current 2014 JKUS is mostly Stock except for convenience add-ons.
A DI motor interests me - Not.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The PUG (Pentastar Upgrade) is in the works. I don't know if we will see it in the JK. Probably not. From what I have read elsewhere, it might show up first in the new Minivans.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The PUG (Pentastar Upgrade) is in the works. I don't know if we will see it in the JK. Probably not. From what I have read elsewhere, it might show up first in the new Minivans.

I read something along those lines. I thought the GC was first then the Minivan, or maybe it was the other way around.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
The information available at this time is sketchy at best. Hopefully there will be a window of opportunity to order a 2015 if you see the 2016 specs and don't like them. Hopefully there's some overlap in time, and someone can let you know from past experiences of ordering late in the model year? That's if you or your friend is like me and prefers not to take something off the lot.

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
It took me until my current "ripe old age" to learn (and embrace) the Value of something that WORKS.
Leave it Alone and don't "Fix It".

That's why my current 2014 JKUS is mostly Stock except for convenience add-ons.
A DI motor interests me - Not.
Amen! It's a technology I'd like to pass on.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts