Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking, to those who own one, is there anything that annoys you about having it? I could see trying to do something in the engine bay since the stinger blocks you from standing directly in front of it. What other little things like that irk you?

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
:funnypost:

:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Don't have a stinger, but I've never seen them serving any purpose except on non-roadable hardcore rock crawlers or prerunners. They're likely to cause unintended grief if you (or the guy parked in front of you) aren't paying attention. Lotsa better ways to spend $$ and add deadweight.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
but at least you can see it get close to the wall. They look good on some bumpers for sure. I just would really have trouble walking in front of the Jeep in my garage. I have a JKUR and a bike rack- tight fit as it is.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Not very comfortable to sit on and have a beer.

Access to engine can be a pain. But that's most big bumpers.
That's precisely why we installed the Poison Spyder beer bench. Very comfortable and you think that is a winch blank off plate, in reality it is a six pack cooler incognito :beerdrinking:

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just purchased the stinger for my smittybilt modular bumper. I had all the same concerns, parking, accessing engine bay and looking like a poser. But at the end of the day I love how they look. It's not the most practical mod I've done but I am very happy I did what I did. That's what makes all of our jeeps unique.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Unless your going to do some fairly hard-core trails or crawling then it may not be for you. You sound like your'e about 3/4 talked your self out of it already, so go with your gut and don't bother, after all, it's just a Jeep and grills and hoods are cheap, and besides, how often do you think this happens?

"Why didn't I buy a stinger??" he ponders all the way over.

And last but not least -

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not using a stinger, but have the Rugged Ridge prerunner.
With all the deer in the area (go ahead, ask my wife about that), it's nice to have a little protection on the front. Plus, I can rub a few trees trying to wrestle this LONG beast through the woods.
Never had a problem in parking lots, driveways, etc. And I noticed a severe reduction in the number of people cutting in front of me on the highway. :)

Now, if only I could find a few hawt redheads to pose on it....

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
pre-runner IMHO is great for a casual wheeler. If you are planning on hardcore stuff, then a stinger would be of use, but you need to be honest with yourself.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts