Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My radiator is now leaking at the plastic seams so its time for a new one. I would prefer not to use OEM with the failure of the current one. I can't really afford the Griffin radiator. The all aluminum Drake offers a less expensive alternative. Does anyone have any experience to the quality? I will probably throw in a new pump, hoses and thermostat while I am at it. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Spend the money on a CSF full Brass radiator. The Brass is tougher than the Aluminum and will more than likely never leak again. Even in the event that it does spring a leak (which is a very scant possibility at best) it can simply be soldered.

The CSF comes covered in an anti corrosive coating, too. It can't rust.

Mine was a hair under $300. Totally worth it.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
You dont think 119000 miles is a reasonable amount of time for a rad to last?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You dont think 119000 miles is a reasonable amount of time for a rad to last?
Well, seeing that I have had VW's, Pontiacs, Fords, and a Jeep GC, go for a lot more miles than 119k and have not had any issues. No, I don't think that is a reasonable amount of time. IMO that is a poor design and would like a better alternative. I will look into a CSF at radiator barn.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Hehe, you do that and let us know how it works out for ya! I'm certain that your experience will be much different that most folks with CSF rads. That said, you can get an all aluminum rad that cools great and lasts but it will set you back about $500.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After just doing a quick search a 3 row from radiator barn is $346. The Drake aluminum is only 2 row (Im assuming 2 core, is 2 row) and is $300, finally the Griffin 1 row but 1.5" tube is $454. Decisions Decisions! :doh:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
After just doing a quick search a 3 row from radiator barn is $346. The Drake aluminum is only 2 row (Im assuming 2 core, is 2 row) and is $300, finally the Griffin 1 row but 1.5" tube is $454. Decisions Decisions! :doh:
Why anyone would spend that much money on a radiator for stock engine application is beyond me. You aren't going to find a radiator that cools better and be as cost effective as the OEM radiator.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I just stumbled on it and figured I'd add some info. (yeah, I'm biased... I'm employed by drake, I'll put that up front!) I've had our radiator in my jeep for almost a year now and roughly 10K miles on it. I live in Las Vegas so I'm coming up to my my second summer here with it. I installed it right at the beginning of last summer. I have a scangauge 2 that I use for my vehicles and it's what we used to gauge the effectiveness of this radiator. When I did the swap early last summer we were sitting right at the 100 degree mark weather wise. I noticed on average about a 5-8 degree cooler running temp on the scangauge and basically it took my needle from sitting on the high side of the hash mark in my stock gauge cluster to the low side of it. So the added cooling wasn't massive by any means and is why you don't see any claims to added cooling in our ads, we didn't feel the difference I experienced was enough to brag about. Funny thing though is another friend that I wheel with here in Vegas stepped up to one of the more expensive name brand radiator when his broke last summer and he noticed the same improvement on his as I did with mine. He didn't run ours cause ours wasn't available yet, I was running a sample unit. I also was running the 3 speed 32RH transmission at the time and plumbed it thru the cooler. I had an autometer trans temp gauge setup with it reading between the trans and the cooler on the supply side. I didn't notice any change in that. Last summer the jeep ran fine all summer long with no cooling issues. Only issue I had with my jeep was related to a known heat issue on an injector which was cured by other means. I've since also done a 6 speed manual trans swap and summer is coming quickly so we'll see how it does this summer.

I will say, our company history actually is more based in the ford mustang industry. We've been using the same radiator manufacturer for mustang radiators for A LONG time now with no complaints. They are used in everything from show vehicles to commuters to full blown track/race cars. When we saw the price of the other aluminum radiators on the market and with our experience with our current vendor we simply decided there was a space for us in the market to offer a better priced alternative. We're not going to claim to be some crazy amazing radiator supplier that will provide some huge reduction in cooling! All we're doing is offering a better priced product of what we feel is the same quality. If you have a chance to see one of our radiators in person you'll see the quality is on par with the higher priced ones out there. I've read some good cooling claims by the others but would be interested to see real life results that match. The ones I've seen first hand didn't match the claims.

Now if you want to go with a stock O.E. replacement, or a brass radiator that's your choice and I won't try to sway you other wise or tell you ours is better or worse. That's for you to decide. We're in the market competing against the other aluminum ones out there and feel we offer the same quality and performance at a better price. Simple as that...

Hopefully this isn't considering spam, I'm just trying to provide the info I've found from my personal experience with our radiator. I'm not a salesman, I'm not trained in spewing sales pitches. LOL I'm one of the designers here and I just provided the vendor we have a good history and experience with the measurements needed to produce a radiator to fit our needs. We relied on their expertise as a manufacturer to make it function as expected.

BTW, here's my personal jeep where we did all the fit testing, measurements, etc on...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts