Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
No Whining now....
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just decided to go with a Powertrain Products re-engineered 3.6 Pentastar engine. I was into the top end of the existing engine anyway, I wanted to upgrade the engine eventually and I now gain a warranty that should be much better than FCA. The replacement engine comes with 5 year 1 million mile warranty that includes labor at $70/hour I opted for the 7 year warranty with labor at $100/hour (things are expensive in California).
I will post my experience with the "new" engine here. At bare minimum, it will mean never having to deal with the stealership again on a possible engine warranty issue.

If anyone else has had a good or bad experience replacing an engine in a JK, please post.
No whining now...

·
No Whining now....
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Picked up Jeep today. Engine sounds great and seems to have more power. To comply with warranty, I'll need to get an oil change done at 500 miles. Should have that done over this weekend with a Jeep event.
no whining now...

·
Registered
883 Posts
The replacement engine comes with 5 year 1 million mile warranty that includes labor at $70/hour I opted for the 7 year warranty with labor at $100/hour (things are expensive in California).
What does that mean? You pay labor and they pay parts, supplies, etc?

·
No Whining now....
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What does that mean? You pay labor and they pay parts, supplies, etc?
What was wrong with your 3.6 and how much did the reman cost?
My 3.6 had top end issues. It was throwing cam sensor codes and making a lot of noise, especially at cold starts. Labor on repairing the top end was about the same as replacing the engine. The reman cost ~$4000 delivered.

Haven't drilled down into the details on the warranty (just got paperwork that came with engine today).

Website lists warranty overall as follows:
------------
3 Year or 1 Million Mile Powertrain Promise

Labor paid at Advertised shop rate up to $50 an hour per ALLDATA Flat Rate time for approved repair.

5 Year or 1 Million Mile Powertrain Promise

Labor paid at Advertised shop rate up to $75 an hour per ALLDATA Flat Rate time for approved repair.

7 Year or 1 Million Mile Powertrain Promise

Labor paid at Advertised shop rate up to $100 an hour per ALLDATA Flat Rate time for approved repair.
------------

They also offer another level of warranty called "Pure Care". It means that they cover up to what ALLDATA lists as the technician time at whatever rate you order. Considering an engine from FCA was quoted in the $5000 range and I'd have to go to the dealer for any warranty recourse, I opted to go outside of FCA.

This company has been in business for about a dozen years and I couldn't find major problems reported via the BBB or other sources. So far so good for me and confidence is higher than having to hassle with the local dealer again.

Engine is listed as:
Re-engineered Dodge/Chrylser/Jeep 3.6L Engines

What's included:

New high volume oil pump
New graphite coated pistons are used to reduce friction, lowering cylinder temperatures
All new phasers and timing components
New gasket set
Sim tested to ensure operability

No whining now...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not entirely the same boat but my 3.8 had a warranty until 100k and the engine spun rod bearings at 100,690 they did not want to help (not surprised) I replaced it with a crate longblock 3.8 with another 100k 7yr warranty sounds sort of similar to what you are referring to. So far so good. My old one was starting to burn oil about a quart per 1k now it’s like a brand new car. Very happy with the purchase and not caving to the temptation of the hemi or other options which would leave it less reliable.

·
No Whining now....
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not entirely the same boat but my 3.8 had a warranty until 100k and the engine spun rod bearings at 100,690 they did not want to help (not surprised) I replaced it with a crate longblock 3.8 with another 100k 7yr warranty sounds sort of similar to what you are referring to. So far so good. My old one was starting to burn oil about a quart per 1k now it’s like a brand new car. Very happy with the purchase and not caving to the temptation of the hemi or other options which would leave it less reliable.
Glad to hear that review. Hope we both get many happy years and miles out of these.

No whining now...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am torn between using Powertrain and Jasper. Im leaning towards Powertrain as they have a better warranty, and is actually cheaper as well.

A few more weeks in how is everything going?

·
No Whining now....
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far so good

I am torn between using Powertrain and Jasper. Im leaning towards Powertrain as they have a better warranty, and is actually cheaper as well.

A few more weeks in how is everything going?
I'm really happy so far. Power is smooth all the way up to speed. Mileage is similar to before the engine. I did the first 200 miles (well actually a little bit more) going on a trip to wheel in Big Bear. Returned and did 1st oil change. Been trying to keep RPM below 3000 until 2nd oil change in another ~1500 miles. I will then start to run synthetic oil again.

Read the warranty and document the work in accordance (just in case) but I don't think there'll be any problems. The core return policy is really good if you're all set up to install when you order, you will have plenty of time. Allow extra funds to install new hoses, water pump etc. as it makes sense to do it all right the first time.

I kind of feel like I have a brand new Jeep for about $25,000 less than what it would cost to build one in the same way.

no whining now...

·
Registered
13 Posts
So strangest thing.. I decided based on your experience and others to go with Powertrain, AND the motor showed up today (almost 2 weeks early). The odd part, its a direct from MOPAR reman motor ?!?!?!?!?!? Im not sure how I feel about this, I kinda went with them because they told me they address the motors weak points, etc.. I cant find ANY info on what MOPAR does to there motors when they Reman.

Was yours a MOPAR motor (part number R8259594AB as well? At first I thought maybe it was just the crate they used but no it has a bunch of MOPAR paperwork as well.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Good thread anyone got some links for reliable places in Texas my JKU has 109k still going strong but I want to start saving up for a brand new replacement 3.6 or maybe even a hemi swap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts