Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am the original owner of a 1988 Jeep Wrangler 6-cylinder with the Peugeot BA10/5 transmission. I currently have 130k on the motor and I think I am now facing the dreaded transmission replacement to the AX-15. Recently, I could not get it into gear and went to my local repair shop where they changed out the clutch and pilot bushing. That repair lasted about a month and now I am right back to where I started with gears not engaging (and $900 poorer lol). I no longer trust them to fix the problem and would like to know where I should take my older model pride and joy to be fixed CORRECTLY. I have heard of Jeep Doctor in Temecula (now called Auto Doctor), and I was wondering if there was anyone closer to home here in the central San Diego area, but they gotta be a guru with these older YJ’s. PLEASE help! I would really really appreciate any suggestions...thank you so much in advance! —
looking for recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
10,297 Posts
It may or may not be the fault of the garage. If they changed the slave cylinder along with the clutch disc, pressure plate and pilot bushing it's reasonable to assume that the shop used an aftermarket slave cylinder. All the original Jeep slave cylinders have been sold and are listed as obsolete on the Jeep parts inventory.
The quality of the aftermarket slave cylinders has been spotty at best. Some have been known to fail right out of the box.

1- Have you spoken with the shop and asked them if they'll warranty their repair?
2- Have you checked the fluid in your clutch master cylinder?

Let us know how it goes and what you find.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Premium Member
2,482 Posts
When you say gears not engaging...Do you mean they won't go into gear? or the clutch is not releasing the transmission into neutral. A lot of shops order parts from warehouse distributors that sell the same crap you can get at autozone, I went through three Clutch master cylinders before getting one that didn't leak. Sounds like you may have a simple master cylinder issue which is nothing like the $900 clutch (Quality kit for less than $200 plus 4 hours labor) rather than needing a new ax-15, $1500 for reman and adapters etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts