Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just brought home a 1997 Jeep Wrangler and noticed that my mph was 6 miles slower than it should be. The speedo said 50 and my gps said I was traveling 43-44 mph. The tires are the same size listed on the manufacturer sticker inside the door, so I know it's not that. It seems stock all around and has 103,000 miles on it.
Any ideas?:confused:

·
Registered
892 Posts
could be that the previous owner had bigger tires on it and changed speedometer gear but put stock tires on it and sold it forgot to switch back the speedometer gear.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Sounds like someone had bigger tires and changed the speedo gear. You can either change the gear back or put on bigger tires to fix it...

·
Registered
16 Posts
but how would he determine how big the tires where before the change, if only the pervious owner cant be reached?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

get dirty, stay dirty

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I just checked the spare and it's a 30 inch so I think I'll get some 30's then. My last Jeep had 31's and they looked good too.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
but how would he determine how big the tires where before the change, if only the pervious owner cant be reached?
There's a chart on the link that Unlimited posted, he can check his spedo gear and ring/pinion against that chart to see what tire size he's set up for.

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
Thanks. I just checked the spare and it's a 30 inch so I think I'll get some 30's then. My last Jeep had 31's and they looked good too.
so your solution to fixing the speedometer is to buy tires, a tire size of which you have no idea corresponds to the speedo gear or axle ratio, and costs several hundred dollars? spend $500 on tires, only to find out you could have fixed (and still need to fix) your inaccurate speedo with a $50 speed gear?

do you also buy a new house every time the toilet clogs up?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts