Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
I went from the stock Sahara 18's with BFG's to 17" MT Baja MTZ's in 35s. Aside from my speedo being way off the Jeep drives great. Can do 80 no problem with 3.73 gears. No noticeable issues. I love it.

·
Super Moderator
9,282 Posts
I went from the stock Sahara 18's with BFG's to 17" MT Baja MTZ's in 35s. Aside from my speedo being way off the Jeep drives great. Can do 80 no problem with 3.73 gears. No noticeable issues. I love it.
You do realize that your speedo can be recalibrated in 30 seconds with an AEV ProCal, and it will adjust your auto transmission shift points at the same time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have the dick cepek gm7's with 255/75-17 duratacs on my Sahara

View attachment 2813449

and love them
Looks great. That makes my decision. They are on sale at tirerack for $99
I may run the gm7's with 255/75-17 (same as you) or the 265/70-17 but the BFG KM2

I would press up to the 285/70-17 but really don't want to deal with washers at this time. maybe next project jeep

·
Registered
772 Posts
You do realize that your speedo can be recalibrated in 30 seconds with an AEV ProCal, and it will adjust your auto transmission shift points at the same time.
Yes, of course. I'm aware, I just haven't gotten to it yet. It's not my DD. I don't think my shift points are off because it shifts just fine. The speedo is another story. I paced myself with a friend and we figured out actual speed vs my speedo. So I know how far I'm off at various speeds. Superchips just came out with a new model so vendors are blowing out the 3570. I may pick one up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok. pulled the trigger on wheels, backspacing is 5.5" and tirerack shows these sizes for KO2's:
265/70-17
Can someone confirm there will not be a rub issue, the tirerack configurator does not show that choice for sahara (due to change of rim size)
they also show: 265/65, 275/65, 275/70

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Looks great. That makes my decision. They are on sale at tirerack for $99
I may run the gm7's with 255/75-17 (same as you) or the 265/70-17 but the BFG KM2

I would press up to the 285/70-17 but really don't want to deal with washers at this time. maybe next project jeep
Think you'll love the GM7's!
1.jpg

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
what backspacing did you get your gm7's? 5.5"?
I will get the BFG KO2's but still trying to figure out best size for my sahara unl
Had to find the receipt:

Size:17x8.5
Offset:19mm
Backspacing:5.51"
Bolt Pattern:5-127
Rec. Tire Size:265/65-17
Weight:27.0 lbs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Had to find the receipt:

Size:17x8.5
Offset:19mm
Backspacing:5.51"
Bolt Pattern:5-127
Rec. Tire Size:265/65-17
Weight:27.0 lbs.
yup those are the same rims. the KO2's are 265/70 recommended by tirerack but they also offer a 265/65 although tirerack did not suggest those. odd. so I'm spending alot of time on these forums trying to figure out best combo.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
yup those are the same rims. the KO2's are 265/70 recommended by tirerack but they also offer a 265/65 although tirerack did not suggest those. odd. so I'm spending alot of time on these forums trying to figure out best combo.
Run them through one of the online tire calculators...both of those are a bit shorter and bit wider than the 255/75's I have. The 265/65 is almost an inch shorter and half an inch wider. I do wish mine were wider from a looks perspective, but honestly don't think it matters when talking 1/2". This calculator offers a visualization (although not much to see as they're all really close in size):
https://tiresize.com/calculator/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Tirerack now says for those rims are agressive and may have to lift or make fender modifications. Did you have to modify or lift your sahara?

Very upset with tirerack - was in a few chat sessions finding rim & wheel combo and they never txtd it may not fit. I may have to send these back now.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Tirerack now says for those rims are agressive and may have to lift or make fender modifications. Did you have to modify or lift your sahara?

Very upset with tirerack - was in a few chat sessions finding rim & wheel combo and they never txtd it may not fit. I may have to send these back now.
No, I ran them on my 2 door Sahara for about 6 months completely stock. I did add a 1" leveling puck up front on it and also to the current 4-door Sahara. Never had issues with rubbing, turning,etc...I don't do hardcore rock climbing, but have driven through creeks, up creek banks through some major gopher holes, etc...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
thanks unsocbl - i'll keep the gm7's
discount tire was much more helpful than tirerack and suggested 275/70 or 265/70 for the KO2's. so most likely will go with one of those.

·
Registered
14 Posts
thanks unsocbl - i'll keep the gm7's
discount tire was much more helpful than tirerack and suggested 275/70 or 265/70 for the KO2's. so most likely will go with one of those.
Hey Stormin, FYI, it took me 11 months to finally make up my mind what I wanted to to with my Sahara. I upgraded my tires from the stock dualers to Duratrac's the same size 255 70 18's and added a 2 1/2 inch lift. I've had no problems. Here is a pic of it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
I'm 17's... Love them! No stability issues with my 35's KM2s

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
No issues for me switching to 17s. I went with Quadratec Moabs with 285/70R17 Duratracs and I love them.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
21 - 40 of 42 Posts