Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am still doing research on what set up I want get run on my wife's jeep.
It will be 2017 4 door rubicon.

I went to our local shop and told the guy I was wanting to run 35x12.50 on a 20x12 -44 rim.
He said I would probably need to do a 4" lift.
He recommended Teraflex 4" kit over the Rough country lift.
JK 4 Door 4" Lift Kit w/ 8 FlexArms, Trackbar & 9550 Shocks

He said it is around 2800 vs 1200 for RC, but he said it is well worth the money. I have been trying to do some research on it, but have not found much.

A few questions about it.
Do I need to run new driveshafts? (The website says it is recommended)
He mentioned the rubicon has automatic sway bar disconnect. He was not sure if you would loose this function with this lift?
How is the ride quality on this.

Any feedback on this lift positive or negative would be appreciated.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hello everyone,

I went to our local shop and told the guy I was wanting to run 35x12.50 on a 20x12 -44 rim.

He said it is around 2800 vs 1200 for RC, but he said it is well worth the money. I have been trying to do some research on it, but have not found much.

He mentioned the rubicon has automatic sway bar disconnect. He was not sure if you would loose this function with this lift?

My gut reaction is to tell you to find another shop. One that specializes in jeeps, because these guys obviously do not. What kind of wheeling do you plan on doing in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
He may be more familiar with TJs if he knows Jeeps at all I suspect - but those are an entirely different creature than a JK. By design, they needed pretty large lifts. A JK does not need a 4 inch lift to run 35s, and unless you have aftermarket axles, stock axles get very unhappy with caster angles on that much lift, even on a four door. (I run 37s on a 2.5 lift with flat Fenders.)

Get a 2.5 lift - Rock Krawler or Metalcloak. Maybe 3.5 if you wheel. (Breakover angles on a four door suck.)

Your swaybar disconnect will work fine - you will also have the ability to manually disconnect with the new lift. At 2.5 inches, driveshafts are much less of a concern. Now they will still go quicker than on stock suspension, so keep an eye on them. Especially if you Offroad and flex a lot. The higher the lift, the bigger impact to the driveline.

·
Super Moderator
15,385 Posts
Hello everyone,

4" is OK on a 4 door, but all the posts above are correct. The geometry changes will either make a Jeep that rides poorly, or take a lot of money to do correctly.

If I could be blunt, given your chosen wheel size I assume this will be street rig. If so, then IMO go with the WF lift (2.5" Teraflex) that has the geo correction brackets. This will give you a nice riding Jeep that will clear a 35" tire. http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/most-popular-lift-shock-setup-on-wf-1136938.html

Rock Krawler and Metal Cloak are also great lifts, but the WF lift with urethane bushings will ride better than a lift with flex joints. Probably what you want for a rig that's mainly a street rig.

No worries for the sway disco at either 4" or 2.5" If your shop doesn't know that then I suggest finding a more knowledgeable shop OR do the work yourself. You can knock out that lift in a day with a jack, jack stands and common tools.

Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
429 Posts
I run the same size rim/tire combo on a 3" lift +AEV relocation brackets, stock driveshaft. Zero issues.

You will give up some handling with that wide of a rim.mine wants to grab every rut and imperfection on the road. You're basically constantly correcting when driving because it will pull you.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
so if I get a 2 inch lift on the recon it will actually be a 3 inch lift?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
No not true. You will be removing your stock springs off and use new springs that your new lift kit supplies. Although some lifts may net you more than their adverticed height. But thats another topic

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
2.5" lift is what i would recommend for your needs. You can still offroad with 2.5" and 35" no problem, as long as you keep your sway bars connected otherwise some rubbing may happen.

·
Registered
112 Posts
2.5" lift is what i would recommend for your needs. You can still offroad with 2.5" and 35" no problem, as long as you keep your sway bars connected otherwise some rubbing may happen.

Always disconnect.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
Some clarity...

35's and 2.5 is a very common build. Properly designed, there is no rubbing. For example, the TF 2.5 is bump stopped specifically for 35's with wheel back spacing between 4.5 and 5.0.

Take a look at the WF Most Popular Lift. It's a TF 2.5 optimized for performance using factory fenders.

It has nothing to do with disconnecting or not.

·
Registered
87 Posts
anybody have any feedback on Mopar®*77070088*Stage I 2" Lift Kit with Fox Shocks*for 12-15 Jeep®*Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door. they are putting it on my 17 rubicon recon and was told it's fine for dd and weekend roading

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
anybody have any feedback on Mopar®*77070088*Stage I 2" Lift Kit with Fox Shocks*for 12-15 Jeep®*Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door. they are putting it on my 17 rubicon recon and was told it's fine for dd and weekend roading

Quite popular and a HUGE thread on it. The one thing that is recommended is to NOT use the cam bolts in the kit and to add either AEV geometry brackets or a set of front lower control arms.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/mopar-2-inch-lift-77070088-with-fox-shocks-972321.html

3500 posts... Just read the last 10 pages or so.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have jeep installing it would they be aware of that or they will play dumb and just install what's in the box. what's the issue with the bolts also ?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I run the same size rim/tire combo on a 3" lift +AEV relocation brackets, stock driveshaft. Zero issues.

You will give up some handling with that wide of a rim.mine wants to grab every rut and imperfection on the road. You're basically constantly correcting when driving because it will pull you.

Wow those wheels stick way out from the fenders

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
I have jeep installing it would they be aware of that or they will play dumb and just install what's in the box. what's the issue with the bolts also ?

They will just install what's in the box unless you work it out with them in advance. Cam bolts are significantly less reliable than other methods of caster correction. They are know to go out of adjustment and even fail.

Read this specific post on a Mopar lift:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/the-new-mopar-4-lift-kit-1285697-9.html#post29058754

·
Registered
87 Posts
I will speak to dealership today and tell them to swap out those bolts for whatbyiu guys advised. is it something I can do (newbie)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Wow those wheels stick way out from the fenders
I like the look, but Yeh flings mud everywhere when I go offroading... I've thought of the bushwacker flares but I hate the way they look, reminds me of elephant ears. Still looking for aftermarket flares that don't look hideous.
That pic exaggerats how far they stick out though, must be the angle.

·
Super Moderator
14,559 Posts
I will speak to dealership today and tell them to swap out those bolts for whatbyiu guys advised. is it something I can do (newbie)

It can be done at home, but it requires being able to put 125ftlbs of torque on 8 bolts.

This is my recommendation.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/aev/geometry-correction-brackets-07-17-wrangler

Some dealers can get them. Otherwise I would order them and have the dealer put them on when they do the lift.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts