Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We’re spending a weekend there later this month. Any legal place in the forest to go do some shooting while there?

·
Registered
61 Posts
A little drive but not too far: maybe 30-40 miles from Grand Lake. There is an actual shooting range on Hwy 40 west of Hot Sulphur springs. Its located right off the road on the north side. It has actual benches and different yardages. I think it is run by the state and may be free or there may be a nominal charge? It has been a few years since I was there but it was a pretty decent, safe place to shoot and a nice drive down from Grand Lake.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A little drive but not too far: maybe 30-40 miles from Grand Lake. There is an actual shooting range on Hwy 40 west of Hot Sulphur springs. Its located right off the road on the north side. It has actual benches and different yardages. I think it is run by the state and may be free or there may be a nominal charge? It has been a few years since I was there but it was a pretty decent, safe place to shoot and a nice drive down from Grand Lake.
Thanks. I’ll look that place up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The range he is talking about is Byers Canyon and is run by the Colorado Parks and Wildlife. The range shuts down during the winter/spring as it is elk wintering ground. Usually opens back up around May 1. Also, the range is on a state Wildlife Area and they have a new rule that you have to have a fishing license or Habitat stamp to use SWA property. They were handing out tickets last year to those without.

·
Premium Member
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The range he is talking about is Byers Canyon and is run by the Colorado Parks and Wildlife. The range shuts down during the winter/spring as it is elk wintering ground. Usually opens back up around May 1. Also, the range is on a state Wildlife Area and they have a new rule that you have to have a fishing license or Habitat stamp to use SWA property. They were handing out tickets last year to those without.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
2014 JKUR
255 Posts
The State Wildlife Area grounds are tricky for everything......do your research or read the signs when there for sure!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts