Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed to death but I need one last bit of assurance before I place this order. Is there any reason not to go with the Rough Country 4 inch lift on my YJ? Are people still having the sagging springs problems that were reported a few years ago or has this been fixed in newer versions of the kits?

I looked at OME, ProComp, Fabtech, etc... it seems that Rough Country lifts provide a good value and decent reliability without a huge price tag. Is there any reason I won't like the Rough Country lift? The one I'm looking at includes RC N2.0 shocks. Are these decent or should I look for something different?

The kit looks pretty complete. Other than the following, is there anything else I should order?

Front: Lifted Leaf Springs, Transfer Case Drop Kit, Power steering pitman arm, sway-bar links, track bar drop bracket, brakeline relocation brackets, bumpstops, u-bolts and hardware.

Rear: Lifted leaf springs, track bar drop bracket, brakeline relocation bracket, bumpstops, u-bolts and hardware.

Thanks for the help!

Denis

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
When it comes to RC on a YJ I don't know,but my old MJ had a RC lift on it when I bought. It was soo stiff it was almost bone jarring when I hit the smallest bumps in the road. When I built my old dodge powerwagon I wanted a stiff suspension for hauling. I went with RC and boy was ut stiff. 6500 lbs truck 5500lbs in the bed and diner flatten the springs.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have been running a RC 4 inch lift for 10 years now...All I can say is I broke 3 radio's already from the ride :popcorn: I would consider a SOA with the stock leaf springs.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I got the 4inch RC had no problem out of it!! it was easy to install and it rides good if you ant going to be doing alot of hardcore 4 wheeling you should be fine. Now if you like going hardcore i would do a SOA the RC are good but they are not made for alot of abuse. I take mine off road all the time and its never hurt it over all its a 5 star kit i think. if you got any ? on the install or any thing else feel free to shoot me a message.

·
Registered
680 Posts
the only experiance I have with RC is to pull them off and throw away. the RC was only a year on the jeep. had the owner buy a better lift. the spriings in most kits tend to flaten out fast. there are better springs but you pay a lot more fore them. I've had good luck with Rubicon express 1 1/2 SOA. I flatened out the 4 inch springs. So it comes down to end use. hard wheeling buy good stuff. daily driver can get by with cheaper components.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Flatline - What lift did the owner go with after trashing the RC? I'll look at the Rubicon Express kit.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I just installed the RE 1.5in SOA springs few weeks ago and I'm loving them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I cant say much for RC but i run a 4" skyjacker lift and i love it i havent had any problems nor have i heard any from our off road group here in MI just food for thought and the price isnt bad didnt hurt my wallet and im a high school student with a job on my fathers farm so.......

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
From my own experience before the redesign and from friends experiences after the new design I wouldn't do RC leaf spring kits. Yes, they will warranty them BUT I would rather buy something were friends haven't dealt with getting flat springs replaced under warranty.:nonono:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think the lift kit is good on the contrary to what people say on here....

The problem with the leafs is that they are poorly manufactured, ie....the idiot putting them together, its not the design or material. The nitro 2.0 shocks are good and the rest of the kit is perfectly fine. When my kit came I noticed that the leaf binders were put on very shoty, they also had the shims in the wrong direction. I fixed this problem right away with a good vice clamp and mega hammer,I have had the kit for about 3 months with no sagging. I keep an eye on it more so than a high dollar kit but lets face it people, if you wheel hardcore..... your going to brake shit no matter what.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
Like I said just going from personal experience and that of friends I wheel with. My old design springs went flat in six months! Yes, I went to Harlan and beat the piss out of them for 1 weekend in that time but that was nuts. I got stuck because I flexed and my 33's we into my tub they flattened out so bad in a little washout dip that was the nail in RC coffin for me.

Recently a friend that isn't a heavy wheeler replaced his leafs after a year.

Measure from the ground up to the bottom of your bumpers and throw that paper with measurements in your glovebox. They slowly flatten and you won't notice it right away.

TJ kits do great but, the YJ ones I might recommend to an enemy.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I agree that the leafs are dodgy but the kit is still not too bad even with the shit leafs. I plan on replacing them as well in the distant future. I bought the RC kit because Rubicon Express makes the springs I want for 99$ a piece and that's almost the price of the entire lift kit. I figure I would replace the rears first and then the fronts or the other way around so the financial blow would not be too bad but I had to get the jeep up to do other work. For the price and warranty you can still get by if you are on a budget. Oh, do you have boomerang shackles on you jeep? this might have helped it from flatting out on the trail.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
First thing I did to my Jeep, went from bone stock to a RC lift. But my problem was with the old kit. Done right before I moved to a different state. Went to a shop and they fought with Rough Country who specified the kit says up to a 33" tire and mine were now going into the tub and fenders but since it was while flexing they didn't see a problem. They would not warranty them and the shop gave me some used leafs that were laying around and they have been taking a beating and keep going for around 4 yrs now.

My friend, other than lights and other cosmetic upgrades had no changes to the suspension. They did warranty his after sending pictures to them. The new design--what you would have now is better than the old but still not as good as it should be. When they start to flatten out it will also change your driveshaft angles which can lead to more expensive problems if not noticed in time.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Whatever kit you decide on don't worry about the track bars. Just take them off and leave them off. Trust me, wish I would have done if sooner. I went with the Skyjacker 4" kit and have no complaints. I hear a lot of good stuff about bds springs tho. I know you won't get vibes out of your driveline with the skyjacker kit from personal experience tho. I ended up getting sye and cv drive shaft just because I think it looks better with out tc drop and I have more clearance. But it wasn't really needed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
First thing I did to my Jeep, went from bone stock to a RC lift. But my problem was with the old kit. Done right before I moved to a different state. Went to a shop and they fought with Rough Country who specified the kit says up to a 33" tire and mine were now going into the tub and fenders but since it was while flexing they didn't see a problem. They would not warranty them and the shop gave me some used leafs that were laying around and they have been taking a beating and keep going for around 4 yrs now.

My friend, other than lights and other cosmetic upgrades had no changes to the suspension. They did warranty his after sending pictures to them. The new design--what you would have now is better than the old but still not as good as it should be. When they start to flatten out it will also change your driveshaft angles which can lead to more expensive problems if not noticed in time.
Very true but most people say they actually get more than 4 inches with the RC lift, mine was more like 5 at the least so sagging to 4 sounds about right. I put in a TC drop and my tranny wobbled on take off because it sat so tall and it was obviously the shaft angle. It was way above 4 inches so 2 inch TC drop still made my drive shaft look like my elbow. I upgraded to a slip yoke and cv so drive shaft angle or flattening wont be too bad if it happens. I am also upgrading to a 1" boomerang shackle which you should have or you will be banging them against the frame rails, it will also get a better flex every time you hit some rough stuff.

In defense of RC, it is by far the most sold kit so there are A LOT of people who are not really Jeepers installing them without addressing drive-line issues or other relevant changes to their vehicle. In the lift review you will find plenty of people who are happy with their RC lift. I will say that mine came and I can see that their manufacturing is like rolling the dice for the leaf springs but if you want to pay 2,3,4 hundred more for piece of mind that is every consumers choice. Personally I would rather buy the SYE-CV which is a more prevalent matter then upgrade later to better leafs, Just sayin.....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would say to you. Go with what you can afford. I too was checking into a RC lift kit because of the price. I couldn't see paying around $1000.00 for a lift kit when it is all leafs. My truck yes, but it has a IFS. Anyways I lucked out and did some dealing around out a Jeep show and bought a Superlift kit. Came wth everthing you need. It is about $150.00 more. No problems with it so far. It does seem to be very stiff. You bounce over every little bumb and feel it. Traintracks are the worst. Have don no serious riding yet but Im sure it will hold up. I havent noticed any flattening out in the springs. Been on since Oct. 2011

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
If you can wait for Jeep Beach in Daytona which is April that event is full of vendors and you might score a good deal.

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Crafty - Can you link me to more info on this Jeep Beach thing?

I'm not in a huge hurry so I can wait if there's something good coming.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
I will help with some more specific details for you. Event is 25-29th of April. The big day for catching the vendors would be Saturday 28th on the infield of Daytona Speedway. They start shutting down around 5pm I think but the raffles are insane and many vendors are there.

This is the Jeepers version of Bike Week kinda:wavey:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts