Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 2dr JK with manual transmission. However I do not think any of that matters for an oil filter. This is the first real work that I will be doing on the car so any additional advise would be appreciated. Eventually I would like to be able to work my way up to bigger and better projects but for now this is a good place to start.

·
Premium Member
6,891 Posts
OEM from the dealer and keep the receipts.
Probably no need to keep the receipts since it is a 2009 and the factory warranty has long expired. I doubt there's an extended warranty and it sounds like he isn't the original owner if he is just now starting to change the oil.

However, I do recommend the Mopar oil filter. He might find a better price on them on Amazon. No sales tax and possibly free shipping, too.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I use Mopar for my 10. The only other filter I would trust, due to the anti drain back valve, is Wix. Mopar filters are inexpensive. I get them on-line through Amazon. Good prices. Chrysler doesn't actually manufacture Mopar branded oil filters. For a 3.8 they used to be supplied by Purolator. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but they seem to work better due to a correct anti drain back valve system.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I usually get STP or other 'brand' name filters.
Does anyone have a link to any data that actually shows the MOPAR performs better than the aftermarket, name-brand filters?
(I understand the argument for maintaining the warranty, so please no horror stories)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I usually get STP or other 'brand' name filters.
Does anyone have a link to any data that actually shows the MOPAR performs better than the aftermarket, name-brand filters?
(I understand the argument for maintaining the warranty, so please no horror stories)
It's not so much because they are "better" or to keep warranty. It's because it has an anti drain back valve. Most others you can use that will fit do not have this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
dead kitty

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
A correct anti drain back valve only comes into play from 07-11 with a 3.8 and spin on filters.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I use OEM or Purolator PureOne filters where they have an application and always recommend them. Have been using them for years. They are well constructed from quality materials and filter down to a finer micron level. I like the Teflon seal and the yellow grip paint. I just write the mileage and date on them. Purolator is the OEM supplier to a number of manufacturers in the first place. If they have an "L" filter for your vehicle, then they may have a "PL" version of that same part number for your vehicle.

They offer a PureOne filter for both the 3.8L and 3.6L motors.

Go to PureOil.com to double check sizing.

Part number for the 3.8L is PL10241 or L10241

Part number for the 3.6L 2012-2013 is PL36135 or L36135

Part number for the 3.6L 2014+ is L36296 (no PureOne listed yet).

Other well known good (non Mopar) brands are: Wix and Napa. There are others as well.

You might want to avoid the PureOne filter with the higher degree filtration if you tend to let things go to extremes and you are worried about the 3.8L top end oil starvation (on low oil condition) or the 2014 oil cooler issues that have been reported on forums.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks so much. I will probably just go to autozone and grab one that works just because I'm on a little bit of a time crunch and dont want to wait for them to deliver. In the future I will order the mopar further in advance. And for whoever asked, I am the second owner, I've had the car for just about two years and ive been using the free oil changes from the dealership. However I am a part-time, lower-than-minimum wage worker in high school and i would much rather change it on my own anyways, so double win.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Several years back a study of filters was done. There are basically 3 grades of filters out there.

The worst ones are really sub-par junk. Fram is one on that list. They're cheap junk.

I don't remember the mid grades. They're generally acceptable but there are better. OEM filters tend to be in this class.

The better ones were measurably better. Better materials, more pleats so better filtering, better at smaller particles, better anti-drainback, etc. Among those brands is Wix. I use Wix personally and highly recommend them.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Purolator PSL10241 Synthetic Spin-On Oil Filter

and

Mobil 1 (120765) Extended Performance 5W-20 Motor Oil

Nothing else needed...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the Mopar oil filter and i think mobile 1 oil and I got everything ready and then could not even get the drain plug off. I put white lithium grease on it. Now, I do have a very limited amount of tools. I have a couple of wrenches that fit and that is about it. I also did not jack the car up at all, which might have inhibited my motion. Tomorrow I will try again and find a pipe or something to put over the wrench to get more leverage. The dealership must have used a torque gun to tighten it far past the human level.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Mopar, Wix, anything but Purolator or a Bosch which is made by Purolator. Too many quality issues of late.
This is interesting to hear since I swear by Purolator one or synthetic. What have you seen? Can you elaborate?

Been using Wix mostly in the Jeep, just curious because I run Purolator synthetic in both the other cars (g37x and qx56).

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is interesting to hear since I swear by Purolator one or synthetic. What have you seen? Can you elaborate?

Been using Wix mostly in the Jeep, just curious because I run Purolator synthetic in both the other cars (g37x and qx56).
40% failure rate on the Bosch ones I had on my truck. I cut open all my filters. Over at Bob is the Oil Guy there have been many reported failures. The response by Purolator has been less than stellar. And I used to be a Purolator fanboy.

On my 1998 Wrangler I still use Wix. On my JKUR I use OEM, OEM also goes on the Volt, and nothing is needed for the Leaf.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts