Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was sure I wanted 4.56 but 4WP trying to convince me to go 4.88 on 35s. Said I won't be happy bumping from 4.10. Have read dozens of threads and opinions but want to hear from folks who have actually done it. Are you Happy? Or do you wish you'd gone 4.56?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
156 Posts
Have a 2015JKUHR and went from 4.10 to 4.88. I have auto with a 2.5 lift with 35s. Don't regret it at all. It has the stock "pick up and go." I get on the freeway and get up to 70 mph without any hesitation. I just took it to the mountains and had no problem climbing Coming down the mountain the 4.88 helps gear down the speed which helps on the brakes. I added a lot of weight with the tires, wheels, bumpers, and winch and 4.88 picked up the slack. 4.56 will not make much of a difference coming from a 4.10

·
Premium Member
9,574 Posts
Simple in my mind. Are your speed limits less than 80? If so then 4.88. Do you have a non-Rubi then 4.88. If your speed limits are 80 then 4.56 if you have a Rubi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quadratec has a basic breakdown of gears and tire size to meet the pick up and go and fuel mileage. its a nice diagrm if you want to think about going of their explanation of it. just food for thought.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i just did my 2016 jkuhr auto to 4.88 from the stock 4.10. I have a 3.5 lift but also a 300 lbs metal cloak skid plate system under and i will say i am very happy with it. On the flat highways of texas i do 70-75 i run about 2800-2900rpms pretty comfy and it does not have to downshift like it use to on basic hills. Off road i really like how it idle crawls well in 4l i think that is where i really like it.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I don't care for the 4.88s when doing highway driving. Slow lane. However those time are very few and far in between the many times off roading. I am very happy with the 4.88s.

Reactions: Rogue41

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't care for the 4.88s when doing highway driving. Slow lane. However those time are very few and far in between the many times off roading. I am very happy with the 4.88s.
I'm good with staying 65-75... but not crazy about being stuck in slow lane. You have auto or manual? Hoping 6th gear will keep me in a reasonable RPM.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'm good with staying 65-75... but not crazy about being stuck in slow lane. You have auto or manual? Hoping 6th gear will keep me in a reasonable RPM.

I have a 6 speed and at 70, the rpm is 2800ish. 80mph is 3,200+. I tend to drive max 70-75 mph. The jeep is the happiest at 60-65mph as far as mpg goes. It starts dropping off after that.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Reactions: toomanytoys84

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Here's a chart. You may not have much of a first gear with a 6 speed manual. May be a very quick shift to 2nd. Remember your 35s probably measure about 33 so that is the height you use with the chart.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
I love my gears. I don't spend a lot of time on the highway, though. But for around town it's a lot better than the 3.73's I had and for crawling, it's a different world.

You do essentially lose first but you gain 6th.

It depends on a lot of factors what gears will work for you. I live in Denver so elevation is a consideration. Also, hills are everywhere and I like to crawl when I can.

If you don't get off road much, 4.56's might be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
647 Posts
I went with 5.13's (3.6L 6spd) and small 35's (BFG KM2's) ... sometimes off road I wish I had 5.38's. I'm quite happy with 65-70mph (typically 65, as that seems the point of no return for mpgs, 70 isn't bad, 75 eats the petrol). I will admit that if I'm going any real distance on the highway (road trip) I take my WK2 or F150. Not because of gearing, but because of wind/tire noise.
I love the 5.13's around town, even if I never use 1st gear... ok, on steeper hills taking off from a stop I'll use 1st just so I do not have to slip the clutch. I'm usually into 6th gear by about 45mph and it cruises around at 45-50 in 6th at ~1800rpm.
You know, at 70mph 5.13 is only 150rpm more than 4.88... and at 45mph it's less than 100rpm difference...
And... like I said above, off road there are times I wish I had 5.38's... as such I cannot imagine being happy off road with 4.88's, much less 4.56's.
Having said that, I think 4.88's would be perfectly dandy on road, given the slight rpm differences I noted above... but for me, I wish i had gone 5.38's.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've re-geared a few jeeps in my day. 4.88s or 5.13s but I live in Colorado. Lots of climbs and high altitude losses horse power. I really don't think there is a big difference between 4.56s and 4.88s. IMO go 4.88s

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2dr auto HR with the Mopar lift and 315s. I was lucky enough to get in on the 4WP March madness gear swap sale and had them swap the 4.10s to 4.88s. I am very happy now and am also glad I didn't do the 4.56s. At 70 it's turning at about 2900.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm fairly sure now 4.88 is the best option for what I do.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Figures.. just needed a nudge. It arrived today in the form of a flyer in the mail from 4WP announcing a gear swap sale. 500 off the qoute i got last week of 1900. Earliest they could get me in was the 27th. "Goin in!"

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Picked it up today. Only had a chance to drive it home 20 miles. Which is a good thing since that is the max the recommend before letting cool during 500 mile break in period. Definitely noticeable difference. About what everyone said and very close to the chart above. Will take some getting used to. Seems to want to go through the gears quite a bit quicker. Overall would say made the right choice thanks to the advice here. Need to get to the mountain for the true test.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts