Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery on my new JKU and I'd like to know if there's something I can do to keep the muffler nice and clean. The silver/aluminum color is desirable to me since it's so visible from behind the vehicle.

I've read a little about Fluid Film, would that be what I could use or no. If yes, can it be purchased at auto parts stores?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
I use HH paint for my BBQ grill on my muffler. I bought a can of black from Home Depot and I'll touch it up from time to time. It also makes to stock muffler less visible when it is painted black.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use HH paint for my BBQ grill on my muffler. I bought a can of black from Home Depot and I'll touch it up from time to time. It also makes to stock muffler less visible when it is painted black.
So I was thinking about using silver to keep it like new. I didn't consider black, would you mind posting a pic?

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Just took delivery on my new JKU and I'd like to know if there's something I can do to keep the muffler nice and clean. The silver/aluminum color is desirable to me since it's so visible from behind the vehicle.

I've read a little about Fluid Film, would that be what I could use or no. If yes, can it be purchased at auto parts stores?

Thanks!
Most of us paint the big silver muffler black to that it is not so noticeable. It just makes the muffler blend in with the rest of the undercarriage. I used this Rustoleum paint and it holds up extremely well. I bought it at Walmart in the automotive department for around $4.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went ahead and took care of this today. I buffed the muffler with steel wool, sanded with medium grit sanding block, wiped with acetone and sprayed it with VHT Flame Proof flat black. I think it makes a huge difference!

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Went ahead and took care of this today. I buffed the muffler with steel wool, sanded with medium grit sanding block, wiped with acetone and sprayed it with VHT Flame Proof flat black. I think it makes a huge difference!
Looks much better. The black paint hides that big silver muffler.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I used high heat primer and high heat paint, the stuff they use on headers. I painted all the pipes and muffler. It is holding up great. The black looks much better than the silver muffler did.

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
Looks good. Such a big difference.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
That's what I did since the stock muffler is more visible after lifting. Magnaflow turn down in front of the axle.
Same here.

Now have room to enlarge the rear cubby hole.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Same here. Now have room to enlarge the rear cubby hole.
Yea I can't do that since there's a speaker there.. Wonder why they decided to put a speaker right in the middle of the floor instead of on the side???

I thought it might be a good spot for an air compressor or air tank.

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Yea I can't do that since there's a speaker there.. Wonder why they decided to put a speaker right in the middle of the floor instead of on the side??? I thought it might be a good spot for an air compressor or air tank.
They only moved it there recently (2015?). I hate the idea personally as I feel we're already lacking in storage options.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts