Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, planning for the Trans America Trail full ride from NC to OR, with a stop at the grand canyon, and heading down to tackle the Rubicon Trail after Oregon. will be setting off in July of 2020. Will be taking the wife along with. Any like minded cool people want to join us for the trip? We will be stopping along the way to tackle some jeep "trails of honor" and hopefully get the badges. No worries in buying the maps or anything as I have that covered.

·
Registered
17 Posts
How long are you thinking this trip will take? 30+ days? This is a bucket list for me, maybe join in Oklahoma. I’ll keep this bookmarked and make a decision a little closer to then. Sounds like a great adventure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on taking my time. no schedule to keep. but im giving myself 40 days from start to finish. a lot of people are getting it done in 2 weeks so theres no telling if itll take all 40 days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you planning on roughing it or getting back to civilization every night. What’s your trail rig? I’m in the process of making my Jeep more overland capable. I’m almost there, just thinking of adding some type of overland trailer. Haven’t figured out that part yet.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Start to finish took us 33 days and 5555 miles. A BLAST!

I plan on taking my time. no schedule to keep. but im giving myself 40 days from start to finish. a lot of people are getting it done in 2 weeks so theres no telling if itll take all 40 days.
We didn't do the Rubicon Trail tho and no stop for the Grand Canyon or side trips in Moab.
Every day was a trail day. Had some engine troubles in TN so we diverted 100 miles to Clark for a Jeep dealer. And spent a half day in at the Jack Daniels Distillery.

Couple slow days when getting stuck in OK and rains in Colorado.

What trail are you doing GPSKevin or Sams? We spent each night in a hotel as well (ole folks). We ran the section from Jacksonville, NC to Maggie Valley in two separate trips with friends just for a trial run and was hooked. We did skip the Franklin area with the "Trail of the Dragon" so as not to interfere with the bikers (4th July).

Reactions: Juno58 and mikes911

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
I may be interested in this trip. Let me talk to the boss.

Reactions: mimillerus

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
This could be a lot of fun. I did it from Oklahoma to Utah on a motorcycle a few years ago. I'm thinking doing it in a Jeep would be even better.
A motorcycle sounds like fun but at my age, I decided to run it in the "Easy Chair" or my Jeep. Camping would be fun to but we did the hotel option and were prepared to camp if necessary.

Reactions: bgdadddy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the late reply guys.

I'll be taking Sam's trip instead of gpskevins as I've heard that Kevin's trip may cut through some private property where we shouldn't be.

My rig is an 07 jku. It's already well prepared to make the trip but Its still in the build process. Roof rack coming soon!

My plans are growing everyday. Weve came up with a lot on the to do list.

Long story shirt were planning on taking the tat out to Oregon, go to rubicon trail and lake Tahoe, then take the Pacific coast highway down to the start of rt66 and take that back.

·
Retired Moderator
100,669 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
To be honest, (and I havent done it yet), from my research the tat was designed to be done my enduro. A stock jk could probably make the entire trail if you're just sticking to the trail itself. A good set off all terrain tires would be all you need.

Depending on your load, either a lift or some better coils would be a good idea.

The reason I'm over-building my jeep is for the off road trails I'll be doning along the way (moab. Rubicon, etc.)

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Wondering what mods are necessary on a stock 2018 JK to make the TAT.
My experience on completing the TAT (GPSKevins route) in a stock, 2015 Rubicon Hard Rock leads me to say this;

1.Install a 9.5 cti-s winch and carry a bag of recovery gear (plenty informaton to read here on site) and learn how to safely use it (winch & gear).

2. Install a CB radio for just in case.... I used mine several times looking for a place to eat or bed for the night around towns and near interstates

3. Carry a Viair 400 or + for inflating tires after airing down or getting leaks/punctures.

4 Like I said, we were stock but I wished I had gottern the 2.5" factory lift once we were in Colorado. We did good, please don't get me wrong but there were places I knew we were going to hit bottom. Rocks didn't bother me as much as logs.

Above all else learn some basic navigation skills. Electronics are great and somewhat dependable but having the confidence to get out of a situation and knowing when; is a game changer, if necessary.

Fuel was never an issue. I had 18 gallons and always stopped for fuel when I found it. These trails are set up for medium sized motorcycles so fuel is pretty easy to fine.

We; the wife and I, enjoyed our trip across America in our easy chairs! Hope you too!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Definitely adding this to the bucket list. Not sure when I'll be able to do it (taking that much time away from work is tough), but hopefully one day.
I know what you mean about work. I have my own business and didn't inform my bosses (Customers) but, they got over it in the long run, excuse the pun!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Definitely adding this to the bucket list. Not sure when I'll be able to do it (taking that much time away from work is tough), but hopefully one day.
This is my issue. I'd love to do the TAT and continue North through the Yukon into AK and do the Dalton all the way to Prudhoe Bay. But I can't take that much time off of work.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
This is my issue. I'd love to do the TAT and continue North through the Yukon into AK and do the Dalton all the way to Prudhoe Bay. But I can't take that much time off of work.
Yes life has it's own prioritys to deal with.
Work hard, plan your life and play when you can, I say!

Like many I missed my goals too but I never took my eye off the ball. About two years late but I got'er done! The real problem is that I now want to do the other one to compare differences. Maybe after I really retire. Hoping the health holds out!

Your trip sounds like a WOW to me. I still have all the big National Parks to get to first. But Ireland is next...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts