Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Hi all, planning for the Trans America Trail full ride from NC to OR, with a stop at the grand canyon, and heading down to tackle the Rubicon Trail after Oregon. will be setting off in July of 2020. Will be taking the wife along with. Any like minded cool people want to join us for the trip? We will be stopping along the way to tackle some jeep "trails of honor" and hopefully get the badges. No worries in buying the maps or anything as I have that covered.
Six months to the start, hope life isn't getting in the way.

Reactions: bgdadddy

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
I know what you mean about work. I have my own business and didn't inform my bosses (Customers) but, they got over it in the long run, excuse the pun!
You inspire me and torture me at the same time! Right now, time and money are in short supply. You give me something to aspire to and I can only hope to be able to enjoy some of these incredible and fun journeys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Six months to the start, hope life isn't getting in the way.
Funny you should say that. it feels like life is trying everything in its power to get me to take the easy route and stay home. But im still fighting for it and so far the trip is still a go. Its been a rough route since 2020 started, but things are looking up lately, so hopefully in the end it all works out and I can set sail with no worries.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I first heard about the TAT in the motorcycle community. I heard of more people giving up in OK than finishing, LOL. Seems their bikes couldn't handle the mud.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Year early. Next year I should be retired and would jump on this. Enjoy. Post a thread with some pics etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Starting the trip in nc around July 4 this year for part of the TAT. It would be awesome to meet up if timeline fits together to finish the trail. 2015 Rubicon on 37s. Emails [email protected] can't figure out how to message on here

·
Registered
728 Posts
This is interesting....From Chicago would be good to head south and meet up for a week or so around St. Lois, to head out West. I'm subbing' to this thread to stay in the look.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
We did it a few years ago in our stock FJ. We stayed in hotels each night. We had a blast. If anyone is interested you can read our trip report here.

I RE-READ THE WHOLE THING AGAIN AS A MEMORY. What a trip we had too. Having been on KevinGPS version we didn't have the "get lost syndrome" like you experienced but I did route our trip out for myself on the Magellan GPS'r before the trip. Thanks for the write-up again. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I RE-READ THE WHOLE THING AGAIN AS A MEMORY. What a trip we had too. Having been on KevinGPS version we didn't have the "get lost syndrome" like you experienced but I did route our trip out for myself on the Magellan GPS'r before the trip. Thanks for the write-up again. :)
While there is a lot of good information on the maps and roill charts, if I had to do it again, I would just buy the gpx files from Sam. There are some mistakes in both the maps and roll charts, plus our GPS kept trying to reroute us. The maps are at such a high level of view that they are largely difficult to read.

I have seen GPSKevins stuff and they are good, I guess I have a problem with him calling his routes the "TAT". This is Sam's creation and for someone to come along and use his idea rubs me the wrong way. My personal opinion only. I have met Sam and his wife and a group of us were invited to spend the night at his house with a BBQ and mass quatities of beer. Top notch people.

We plan to make a run out to CO, UT and NM and will blast through TN to AR and take the TAT from there to CO.

Thanks for the reread!

·
Registered
728 Posts

Post up YOUR tracking?? here or PM :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
. We gave up on the GPS about halfway through and I don't think I saved the tracks from the GPS. In order to support Sam's vision, it is better to buy the route from him. The more we support him the more routes he can get out and create. Hi is getting on in years and don't know how much longer he will be able to continue on with this endeavor.

·
Registered
728 Posts
... if I had to do it again, I would just buy the gpx files from Sam.
Thanks for the reread!

I understand this route is pretty "old" and its been a few years since Sam mapped it. You think these files/maps still accurate today?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I understand this route is pretty "old" and its been a few years since Sam mapped it. You think these files/maps still accurate today?
Yes, I do. Sam does keep the routes updated as best he can. Stuff happens though. For instance when we left Ketchum, ID we discovered that a portion of the route was closed due to a landslide and most likely won't ever reopen. Whenever, I encoutered stuff like this, I would let Sam know about it. Hopefully, others were as well.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I have routes I used on the TAT following GPSKevins route but sorry to say I lost all the track acept for a portion of the final journey to Port Orford. Doesn't matter to me really as we have a written journal of the adventure as well.
Mrprez and I took different routes that crossed paths in many places. As traverlers through the wonderful adventures and landscape that America has to offer, we shared many of the same feeling and scenery.
Sure we had re-routes too, but nay as many. The country changes with or without us. We got to see RR Xings being repaired, landslides, and forestry roads totally rebuilt. I like to think, out country changes as fast as our citizens live and die. Without taking a travel as enormous as the TAT, it is hard to comprehend. I think we return with a bit more of Americian fabric wrapped around us.

Reactions: Juno58

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
While there is a lot of good information on the maps and roill charts, if I had to do it again, I would just buy the gpx files from Sam. There are some mistakes in both the maps and roll charts, plus our GPS kept trying to reroute us. The maps are at such a high level of view that they are largely difficult to read.

I have seen GPSKevins stuff and they are good, I guess I have a problem with him calling his routes the "TAT". This is Sam's creation and for someone to come along and use his idea rubs me the wrong way. My personal opinion only. I have met Sam and his wife and a group of us were invited to spend the night at his house with a BBQ and mass quatities of beer. Top notch people.

We plan to make a run out to CO, UT and NM and will blast through TN to AR and take the TAT from there to CO.

Thanks for the reread!
We both understand the enormous amount of engery that could go into maintaining/changing an track across America, having driven it and witnessing the fluidness of our route and the people maintaining the roads and bridges. Especially after Mother Nature has had her way with the earth.

As a side note: I am helping to maintain a short trip route "South Carolina Adventure Route" by traveling it and reporting obstacles and re-routes. Just over a thousand miles one way. Mother Nature, man and materials have a way of forcing change on any route. Even the land worn routes from our ancestors through the forest suffer.

I understand your concerns with GPSKevin and the situation expressed. I do know that he did truly attempt to make it what it was stated to be, a true trip across the entire trans-american trail. But like the explorers that moved west, there were many trails forged. I married in the Applegate clan so I could get into that too (NO I will not) but Kevins route does follow it a bit (maybe for those that followed that adventure).

I too have another trip coming. MOAB, and many of the natural parks I have yet to visit. At 67 I better get going too! Our America, is a gert place to wander, and I truly pity those that can't get to see her in all her glory and meet the real men and women that tie our fabic together. Even these times of this pandemic , wonderful folks are out there making thier way, as best it can be done!

Reactions: Juno58

·
Registered
728 Posts
Living in the Midwest, specifically the Chicago area, "good" wheeling opportunities are scarce without driving hours and hours away. This TAT trail, while still hours away South of me to catch it, could be an awesome opportunity to turn a terrible drive out West to get to the wheeling, into an awesome drive out West....to get to the wheeling. I'll have to get going with the planning to see whats the best route TO the TAT spot closest to me. Great thread and thank you to all the guys keeping it alive....

21 - 40 of 57 Posts