Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OME TJ/LJ Kits

Looking for some input on the last 2 kits. If anyone has bought them I would appreciate their thoughts on road handling and off road ability.

I have just bought a 2005 Rubicon 6 speed and plan to have 35 inch tires. I go on very simple trails and have a 97 with 35's that scared the

CRAP out of me on the road so I am really looking for a lift that rides good. I would say I spend about 75% on road 15% off and 10% cleaning.

The biggest questions I have is

1. I have been told that I will not need a sye on the Rubicon. Is this true?

2. Will I have to do anything to the shifter itself (I have heard people cutting some ring on the shifter so it doesn't pop out of gear)

3. Do the adjustable control arms (next kit down) make that big of a difference

I've tried to search for this lift but no luck, so sorry if this one has been gone over before. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
1. Your Rubicon has a fixed flange output, so theres no Slip Yoke to eliminate. doesn't mean you won't need a double cardan shaft though.
2. I got nothing.
3. Yes, but I wouldn't run those JKS ones. Get something with Currie Johnny Joint's on at least one end. I recommend Rokmen's. Other good brands are Currie or Clayton Off-road.

I run a "hybrid kit"...OME 933/949 springs and N66/N67 shocks, custom front track bar, JKS rear track bar, Rokmen control arms, SYE/DC shaft, tummy tuck, 1" BL, 0.75" spacer and 1-3/8" bumpstops up front, 1" in the rear with AirLift bags for load leveling, a V8 ZJ tie-rod and Vanco 15" brakes with 33s. Regeared to 4.88s for the 42RLE auto. It works very well.

·
That WF guy.
21,557 Posts
OME TJ/LJ Kits

1. I have been told that I will not need a sye on the Rubicon. Is this true?

2. Will I have to do anything to the shifter itself (I have heard people cutting some ring on the shifter so it doesn't pop out of gear)

3. Do the adjustable control arms (next kit down) make that big of a difference
1) True, You will need a new rear shaft though.
2) Most likely a little tweaking but is simple and easy.
3) YES THEY DO!!!!!!

I would recommend DPG offroad kits to ANYONE as I have for years.
They work great and are effective kits with great products.

If you do plan on 35's.... I suggest to you the 4th kit. And call Dirk at DPG and talk with him about your want's / needs. He is very knowledgeable and can set you up with different coils to suite YOUR needs.

I run the 3rd kit with longer/heaver ZJ/LJ springs and true 33'' tires. Pictures in my jeep profile under my user name. Any questions feel free to ask. :wavey:

·
That WF guy.
21,557 Posts
3. Yes, but I wouldn't run those JKS ones. Get something with Currie Johnny Joint's on at least one end. I recommend Rokmen's. Other good brands are Currie or Clayton Off-road.
You can get several different control arms with the kit, buyers choice. JKS *Currie* control arms are proven and you can get them with the JKS *Currie* joints rather than the bushings. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to you both.
Now I Understand about the sye and have a place to start narrowing
down what I would need and who to talk to.
Should have just posted 4 nights ago instead of seating up nights guessing

·
Registered
70 Posts
I just bought a 2006 rubicon also a few weeks back. I bought it from a used jeep store that sells nothing but used jeeps. I test drove around 10 different TJ's and the jeeps with more than a inch or so of lift didn't feel stable. May have been the way they were set up but they didn't feel right for me. The one I bought has new 265/16 ties, over size tires and drives excellent. I bought it for a everyday driver and some trails. You can't beat a jeep loads of fun.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not to sure but I think it is a plastic (or something) kind of ring that you just cut off?!? haven't pulled it a part so don't take this as the truth. mabey someone on here can clear it up I hope

1 - 11 of 11 Posts