Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried taking the receiver out of the hitch on my 99 tj. It was stuck so I thought no big deal. I tried to knock it out from the back with not luck. I then used a 20 lbs sledge to try to get it to budge (in or out) it would not move. We then took a torch and put some heat on it and it still wouldn't budge. So I figured I could hook a chain to it and pull it out, I hooked to a tree and yanked it pretty good and it still didn't move. I don't want to removed the entire unit but I might have to. I started to take the entire hitch off and one of the bolts came about 1/2 way out and got stuck. The big impact gun wouldn't move it in or out:banghead::banghead:, it's been one of those days. I put a pipe on the bolt and was afraid it was going to break. Every time I try something simple it turns into a pain in the arse.

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
If it is that rusted in there you will probably not be able to remove it. I had the same problem on my old Jeep and I actually just bought a whole new hitch since I could not get it out.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend KROIL.......spray it on....let it set for an hour or two...... and it SHOULD come out.......after banging on it for a bit......if not.....more KROIL.......this stuff has worked miracles in my profession (Gas Turbine Field Service...stufff gets to 1500 derees)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend KROIL.......spray it on....let it set for an hour or two...... and it SHOULD come out.......after banging on it for a bit......if not.....more KROIL.......this stuff has worked miracles in my profession (Gas Turbine Field Service...stufff gets to 1500 derees)
This.

Then hook back up to tree, add tension while hitting the ball with that sledge.
It'll come out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
This happened to me also haha mud and rust don't go good together but I used WD40 and used a jack to lift it up and break it loose.... I don't think my problem was as serious haha

·
Registered
285 Posts
Another Stuck and Rusted Hitch

Rather than start a new thread, I figured I'd revive this one...

I've been wanting to remove my hitch and save the receiver. Trouble is, I bought it with it rusted in. I've tried the "whacking with a sledge" and the "tree pull." I've soaked it with PB Blaster multiple times and waited days, then repeated the whacking and pulling.

The beastard is permanently joined by some heavy rust.

My last idea is to try a Sawzall. Cut it off flush, at the lip of the receiver and then try to stick the blade inside, cutting through the hitch lengthwise at the corners (trying not to cut through the receiver too much).

I'm thinking I could then chisel out what's left of the hitch (the channels created by the Sawzall having given the pieces some room to break loose).

Has anyone tried this? Think a Sawzall would work?

Opinions and other ideas welcome.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Connect up your best boat on your best trailer and hit the highway. That sucker will come right out!

If PB won't get it out, I dunno.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
See if you can get some coke in where it's rusted.

Yup. Coca Cola. It eats rust.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I can't believe the "tree pull" didn't work! My hitch/D-ring combo was rusted in pretty good, but after a good running start away from the tree, BANG that hitch came right out... the sawzall might work, but the coca-cola idea sounds like something to try first. good luck.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'll keep at it for a couple of more days (if I must). Try... Get pissed... Walk away... Try again.

I've going to try the Kroil, but the other ideas sound like they have possibilities.

Wish I had something expensive that I tow (boat, camper, etc) - with insurance, of course. With my luck I can guarantee it would slide out like greased snot through a nostril the first time I went up a hill with a 100' drop off to a ravine below.:rofl:

I just hate to give up on it and don't want to spend the money on an entirely new setup.

I'll post again if I succeeded and what it took (if successful).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Heat applied to the receiver or more degreaser or coke + tree/cable assembly + short handled sledge. Apply the tension, dump clutch. Swing away on the ball.

I honestly think I'd give up and buy new before going the saw-zall route.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Sawzall is inviting disaster as well. You never know how much you might damage the receiver.

One other thing you might try......if the receiver is a blind hole ( it is not open behind ), drill a hole through it and tap a hole big enough to thread in a grease ZERT. Once you have the zert threaded in, pump that puppy full of grease until the bar pops out.

You may think this is insane, but Heavy Equipment mechanics have been using this technique for decades to get stuck pins out of blind holes. Make sure you are not in FRONT of it as you pump.....may pop out with some force.

Once pumped full of grease, the whacking and pulling and other techniques can still be done......after the sawzall.... you are a screwed pooch.....

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I had that issue also. I tried heat and sprays and choice words, nothing helped. I took the receiver off (broke all four bolts, I should have known that is the receiver wasw that rusted the bolts would be that bad) once i got it off, you can do this while it is still on, i took a air chisel, sharpened it with a grinder and started working the gap between the receiver and hitch. The air chisel started to cut away at it...almost looked like a banana being peeled, small areas at a time...that then opened up the gap ever so slightly for more spray...and i just kept on cutting away with the chisel...finally got it to the point that she slid out like it was nothing....but it took four days of scratching my head, buying the "must have" oils, propane torch, then a MAPP gas torch. I even had my kids banging on it with a hammer, cause they can break anything.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Try taking a bottle jack and jacking it horizontally. you may have to take the ball off but you get the idea... steady pressure, hit it with the PB blaster a few days running and then jack away and hit with the ball peen hammer to loosen. Good luck!

·
Registered
654 Posts
SOLUTION: Use the 20lb sledge and hit it like a tranny grabbed your butt. If that doesnt work pull out the hitch pin and slide it out. :)

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
You mentioned knocking it out from the back, does that mean you have access to the rear side of the receiver? If so, drill a hole dead center in the back of the hitch bar (i'm assuming it's not 2" solid...). Heat the receiver up from the outside with a heat gun, then empty a CO2 tank (paintball supply, or dirtbike/ATV emergency tire inflator. maybe even a small CO2 fire extinguisher with the cone removed.) through the hole in the hitch bar. It should shrink faster than the receiver and break the rust loose.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts