Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short, i've been trying to install a new fuel pump assembly to combat a bad leak ( broke off my fuel pump regulator hose ), Bought a new gas tank and have been attempting to install my fuel pump assembly.

I know theres not much to it, Just a Larger O ring around the top of the fuel pump. And then you thread the white ring back on , however I can't seem to get the O ring to stay in place and get the Ring to thread properly. I must have spent over 2 - 3 hours yesterday trying to install that gas tank O ring. It threaded at one point and I thought I had it. Installed it on the Jeep this morning and its puddling very heavily all around the top of the ring.

Any tips or advice? I am not looking forward to smelling like gas again all day ( been a few days working on gas tanks , the new one I bought had a bit of water in it , so I had to clean it out )

·
Registered
301 Posts
So long story short, i've been trying to install a new fuel pump assembly to combat a bad leak ( broke off my fuel pump regulator hose ), Bought a new gas tank and have been attempting to install my fuel pump assembly.

I know theres not much to it, Just a Larger O ring around the top of the fuel pump. And then you thread the white ring back on , however I can't seem to get the O ring to stay in place and get the Ring to thread properly. I must have spent over 2 - 3 hours yesterday trying to install that gas tank O ring. It threaded at one point and I thought I had it. Installed it on the Jeep this morning and its puddling very heavily all around the top of the ring.

Any tips or advice? I am not looking forward to smelling like gas again all day ( been a few days working on gas tanks , the new one I bought had a bit of water in it , so I had to clean it out )
I just went through this. I feel your pain! You have 2 round components - first is the o-ring. This is the black rubber piece. This is the thing that holds the pressure and seals the tank. The white plastic nut is to simply hold the pump and seal in place. It does not seal in any way.

Getting the rubber o-ring to stay in place while inserting the pump was frustrating. I put the o-ring in place and SLOWLY worked the pump into place. I believe i carefully used a screwdriver to pop out the folds as i pushed. Go very slow. Just watch all around the ring to make sure you dont fold it in the hole.

Once the pump is in and the seal is holding (you'll feel it because there's suction) you get to wrestle with the nut.

I struggled to the point that I finally pushed it on past the first wind and then used a strap wrench to turn it. I swear it's still crooked looking but it's job is not to seal the tank. It holds down the pump that is surrounded by the o-ring who has the job of sealing.

I reached out to this forum convinced I had the wrong part but got coached!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the input, I will try again now shortly haha. I managed to get the seal to fit in properly with the pump, then noticed I couldn't get the nut to thread properly and it looked super bent or cross threaded so I took it apart. I will take your advice and go focus mainly on that seal, thanks for the boost in morale.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I will be doing mine soon and I done a Chrysler years ago that had the same oring set up as the jeep. After giving it a good talking to(being polite) I put some grease on the unit and non on ring. It f I n a l l y went into the tank and sealed. It worked on the Chrysler not sure but it probably will work on the jeep. Good Lord I hope so. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wrestled with that for some time myself. Bought a new nut and ended up using the old one as the new one would not go on.

Ended up using a little wd40 on the threads. When you do get it together, make sure you flip the tank up side down to make sure the seal is good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts