Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to pull off a 4.88 gear ring off a carrier to swap carriers, backed all of the bolts out but it doesn't want to come off really. I've seen people hit the ring gear in a oven to install it, well what about un installing it, any tips??

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
I would VERY gently use a flat chisel around the top of the ring gear to work it away from the carrier surface, again very gently. Heating it would only work if you had a torch and could heat the ring gear and not the carrier, but that would likely damage it as it would heat and cool too quickly.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Take a plastic or rubber dead blow hammer and work it around the edges...if that doesn't work, you can take a brass punch and put it in the bolt hole(s) and gently tap it off that way (alternating criss cross and it shouldn't take a lot force).

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Unless you have a good quality thread chaser set, I wouldn't use the bolt holes.

And no, that's kinda what I meant, don't use a torch unless you're very good at controlling slow heating and cooling.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Install 4 longer grade 8 bolts loosely around the bolt circle support the carrier on a wood block and tap the bolts with a hammer alternating side to side and top to bottom.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
lol, I wasn't thinking about the bottom of the bolt hole, I just did this on a stock 8.8 carrier and used a bearing separator and tapped around the outside. But I try not to assume everyone has all those type of one-off type tools.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
Install 4 longer grade 8 bolts loosely around the bolt circle support the carrier on a wood block and tap the bolts with a hammer alternating side to side and top to bottom.
Any appropriately sized bolt would be fine for this purpose, a Grade 8 bolt isn't necessary.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that bolt trick worked perfectly, wouldn't of thought of that. I never had longer bolts so i used the factory ones and turn it just enough to grab the threads and it eventually worked free. :D Thank you for the ideas

·
Registered
220 Posts
Make sure you have the carrier on a solid table or on the floor with a block of wood under it and smack it with a mallet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts