Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am thinking about buying a Wrangler TJ, are there any years that are known to have specific problems?

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think its the 2000s and 2001s that are prone to cracked heads, there are small issues with other years too but I'd mainly avoid the ones I mentioned above

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I would say that there are no TJ years to absolutely avoid.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The 97s had a leaking issue with the windshield, and from 05-06 they had the opda issue (oil pump drive assembly). Bassically it can't get oil and fails prematurely. Although I don't think it's as big an issue as it seems to be.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
In 3 years my 97 windshield has never leaked. You may be thinking of the cowl issue. Myself I wouldn't touch an 05-06 because of the OPDA issues, too much of a crapshoot there. Also the later autos with the mini-cats seem to have some cooling issues the earlier manuals did not. And I wouldn't touch an NV trans, they went out of business for a reason. All strictly my opinion of course.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Well my jeep is VERY low miles, so the opda doesn't bother me (06). Although if I had known about it ahead of time I would have been a little worried. Next summer I plan on checking out that mod that lets it get oil and doing it to a new opda. Until then, I'm not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have an 05. I am scared of the OPDA issue but im going to get it checked out soon. None of the TJ years have significant problems, just things that need to be checked out. Any vehicle is like that.

·
Retired Moderator
100,641 Posts
I would stay away from the 05, 06 because of the OPDA issue.
I have just recently done a lot of re-search on this issue, because my friend has a 4.0 05 model. The real problem is that not only will it fail and this was just confirmed to me by our local Dealer, BUT THE FACTORY DOSE NOT HAVE A CORRECTIVE UPDATE SOLUTION FIX FOR THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM!!! This is just another example of poor factory support!!!!!

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
lol, so far in this thread every year of TJ is defective.

1997 = cowl leak issue
1997-1999 = manifold crack issue
2000-2001 = 0331 non-TUPY head crack issue
2001-2006 = mini-cats heat soak engine compartment
2000-2004 = one guy doesn't like the otherwise reliable NV3550 transmission
2005-2006 = OPDA issue

:rofl:

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Yeah really,,, not to nitpick anyone, but what's up with the NV 3550 trans, arguably the best 5 speed ever used in a Jeep?

·
Registered
188 Posts
UnlimitedLJ04 said:
lol, so far in this thread every year of TJ is defective.

1997 = cowl leak issue
1997-1999 = manifold crack issue
2000-2001 = 0331 non-TUPY head crack issue
2001-2006 = mini-cats heat soak engine compartment
2000-2004 = one guy doesn't like the otherwise reliable NV3550 transmission
2005-2006 = OPDA issue

:rofl:
Yet we still all love em to death!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
MOTJ said:
These are all I6 issues right, I’m good with my 05 2.4 right?:)
there are fewer problems mechanically with the 4 cyls I have noticed. don't get me wrong, they aren't perfect, and the i6 is a great engine, but I haven't seen quite so many issues with the 2.5 & 2.4

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'll let Rockland explain why. Terminator
That's a vendor sales pitch. They have what's known as a conflict of interest, aka a vested interest. In other words they are lacking independence and objectivity.

If I send you a link on a bridge for sale will you send me some money? After that we can do swamp land.

·
Premium Member
8,897 Posts
:DRed 2004 Rubicon Automatics are the only known jeep to not have problems. They are also widely thought to be the most attractive and fastest of the TJ's. With a theoretical top speed of 173 mph with 35's and a .69 overdrive. Of course to reach this speed they must first be driven off a 2000 foot vertical cliff. the brakes at this speed do leave something to be desired though. :whistling:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wouldnt avoid any year particularly. Just know what you are buying before you do, and take care of it like any other vehicle and it will treat you well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts