Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be moving to Colorado in around 3-4 months and I'm planning on renting a U-Haul trailer, filling it up with all my stuff and simply making the 25 hour drive from NJ all the way to my new place. This is my only moving option, I can't afford anything else like having my car shipped and taking a plane or anything of the sort. Thing is, my TJ doesn't even have a hitch, and I don't know the first thing about towing anything. It's a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and it's lifted. For such a long drive, and since i'm going to be hauling everything I own in that trailer, I'd like it all to be as secure and safe as possible. Any advice on what hitch I need to buy and tools needed to install it, along with any other advice you have to offer is highly appreciated. :)

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
The first thing you need to realize is the maximum towing capacity for a TJ is 2000 pounds...that means trailer and contents. U-Haul trailers are typically on the heavy side anyway. Towing heavy loads with a short wheelbase Jeep is not safe. Kind of like the tail wagging the dog. You would probably be better off renting a U-haul truck and load it up and tow the Jeep behind it.

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
I'm sure others will chime in shortly but the TJ doesn't have much towing capacity and I've heard (may not be correct?) that U-Haul will not rent a trailer to be towed by a Wrangler due to the limited towing capacity and braking issues. You might want to check with U-Haul and see if they'll rent the trailer, then what the trailer weighs to make sure the empty trailer is within your tow limits then guesstimate what all your stuff weighs. It adds up fast. Maybe rent a U-haul box truck and flat tow the Wrangler behind?

What he said ^^ :whistling:

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
X3

·
Registered
123 Posts
I moved from VA to El Paso and back to VA again a year later. My advice would be rent a uhaul truck and either get a flat bed trailer for the jeep or flat tow it as has been mentioned.

You will save a lot of hassle and gas money.

On my way out to TX i drove my YJ and the gas price was more than when i rented the uhaul and towed it back on a trailer.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,370 Posts
If your Rubicon is a soft top, U-Haul won't rent a trailer to you, I'd start calling around now to find a trailer rental shop that doesn't have that short-sighted restriction. If your Rubicon has the hard top, you're good to go with U-Haul.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, glad I asked here first before just going out and doing it. Yeah, I checked with U-Haul and they won't rent me a trailer since my Rubicon's a soft top. I don't have a whole lot of stuff, I think renting a full size truck would be kind of overdoing it. Although definitely something i'll keep in mind. I'm not taking any furniture at all, just a couple boxes. I would probably be able to take it all with no need for a trailer if I had something like a minivan instead of my TJ.

Say I were to find a different rental company and a light enough trailer so my total would be well under 2,000 pounds. Could you guys help me with the equipment I'd need to purchase? Would there be any issues with the fact that my TJ is lifted?

I may just end up getting rid of some stuff and driving with whatever I can stuff into the backseat, or I may just get a roof rack. Like I said, I don't have that much stuff at all. I wanna explore all options though. Thanks for the help, guys!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I dont know if im the only one wondering this or not but what does the soft top vs hard top have to do with towing a trailer from uhaul? Why is that a restriction for them?
Sorry to hijack.. Im just quite curious.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Thanks guys, glad I asked here first before just going out and doing it. Yeah, I checked with U-Haul and they won't rent me a trailer since my Rubicon's a soft top. I don't have a whole lot of stuff, I think renting a full size truck would be kind of overdoing it. Although definitely something i'll keep in mind. I'm not taking any furniture at all, just a couple boxes. I would probably be able to take it all with no need for a trailer if I had something like a minivan instead of my TJ.

Say I were to find a different rental company and a light enough trailer so my total would be well under 2,000 pounds. Could you guys help me with the equipment I'd need to purchase? Would there be any issues with the fact that my TJ is lifted?

I may just end up getting rid of some stuff and driving with whatever I can stuff into the backseat, or I may just get a roof rack. Like I said, I don't have that much stuff at all. I wanna explore all options though. Thanks for the help, guys!
you can get bolt on receiver hitches from etrailer for somewhere around $150 that are easy installs. They also have plug and play type trailer wiring kits. If you just have a few boxes, maybe they would fit on one of those harbor freights racks that stick in the receiver mount, then you could just tarp it. I think they're only about $50 on sale.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
I dont know if im the only one wondering this or not but what does the soft top vs hard top have to do with towing a trailer from uhaul? Why is that a restriction for them?
It's not the soft top as much as it is U-Haul protecting themselves in this sue-happy world we live in. You'd be surprised at the number of people that have never towed anything in their lives who rent a U-Haul trailer. Ignorance and just plain stupidity make for a bad combination.

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
Get a bolt on hitch and a receiver cargo holder

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Or...if you have too much stuff for a cargo rack, think about renting a cargo van or pick up and pulling a rented car trailer with it to put your Jeep on.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
If the OP is only hauling a few boxes literally he can get both a roof rack(Body Armor makes the best one rated at 350/1000lbs carrying capacity)and a rear cargo tray. Both can be had for less than 500 bucks. How much would renting of a trailer cross country cost? Add that into the offset.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm moving from Nashville Tennessee to Denver Colorado on Tuesday. I have a 05 wrangler sport. I got the 5X8 trailer rented from Uhaul. The jeep can safely tow the 5X8 full.. As long as you don't drive like an Idiot. It just depends on what all your carrying. I have towed a 2000 pontiac grand prix from Indiana to Tennesse on a dolly with 0 issues. As well as tow my 16' popup camper from Nashville to saginaw bay Michigan. A jeep can pull alot more than most think. BUT, it's not safe unless you have experience towing.

Hope this helps some..

·
Registered
441 Posts
its just the misguided policy they have ... because a hardtop wrangler is any safer than a softop wrangler ....

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm moving from Nashville Tennessee to Denver Colorado on Tuesday. I have a 05 wrangler sport. I got the 5X8 trailer rented from Uhaul. The jeep can safely tow the 5X8 full.. As long as you don't drive like an Idiot. It just depends on what all your carrying. I have towed a 2000 pontiac grand prix from Indiana to Tennesse on a dolly with 0 issues. As well as tow my 16' popup camper from Nashville to saginaw bay Michigan. A jeep can pull alot more than most think. BUT, it's not safe unless you have experience towing.

Hope this helps some..
it may be true that YOU can tow more with YOUR wrangler than is recommended by Chrysler, but please don't recommend doing this to other people.

I agree that you can tow more than the manfaturer recommends but its still not advisable nor recommended to someone who dosnt even know what to buy in order to tow the trailer.

·
Registered
441 Posts
it's not the towing that's the problem, it's the stopping part that will get you. :banghead:
precisely, tj towing capacity is severly limited by its braking power, suspension, and the wheelbase

1 - 20 of 34 Posts