Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
fix it

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Probably the turn signal cam or switch in the steering column. Maybe someone pulled the wheel at one point and didn't put it on right. It is the same column as pre 1995 chevys so I'd imagine a how to video should be easy to find.

Reactions: 87_WhyJay

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Most likey the spring on one side is broken and can be replaced. Shaginaw Column I think.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You didn't give alot of information about exactly what your turn signal is doing. What you probably need to do is get a steering wheel puller and take off the steering wheel. You can probably rent a puller from your local auto parts store. Remove parts so that you can see the turn signal mechanism. You will probably find a plastic piece is broken in there and it will not disengage your signal. You can get a new mechanism from Crown Automotive. If not too much stuff is broken you may not have to completely remove the wiring harness for your signals. You may be able to just take the new plastic part off of the Crown replacement and install it onto your existing one without changing the whole harness. Worst case scenario is you will have to change out the harness and the whole unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You didn't give alot of information about exactly what your turn signal is doing. What you probably need to do is get a steering wheel puller and take off the steering wheel. You can probably rent a puller from your local auto parts store. Remove parts so that you can see the turn signal mechanism. You will probably find a plastic piece is broken in there and it will not disengage your signal. You can get a new mechanism from Crown Automotive. If not too much stuff is broken you may not have to completely remove the wiring harness for your signals. You may be able to just take the new plastic part off of the Crown replacement and install it onto your existing one without changing the whole harness. Worst case scenario is you will have to change out the harness and the whole unit.
That's right, its the cancelling cam. When you pull wheel, carefully notice the order parts came off.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Basically, if I am just changing lanes or turning at a street corner it will not disengage. Sometimes if the turn is sharp enough it will disengage.
I was hoping there was "WD40" type of solution. I guess I'll pull the wheel when the weather warms.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
A habit I’ve gotten used to doing is just slightly holding the turn signal down when needed, the cancel only works 75% of time anyways, depending on the turn.

I signal when I’m about to change lanes, few circumstances merit it’s continuous use while in the turning lane.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts