Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my jeep to a mechanic referred to me by a dealership. I had a very small oil leak which looked to me to be from the rear main seal. (I am no mechanic and after reviewing the threads in this forum came to this conclusion so may be no merit with my assessment :)) The mechanic told me it was a valve cover gasket and a loose oil filter. He also stated I needed an oil change. So gave the go ahead to replace gasket and perform an oil change. Get Jeep back, still see droplets under the jeep, contact the mechanic, who stated give it a couple of days because he said he cleaned the engine with some brake cleaner and is just the residual cleaner that may be dripping from the engine. After a couple of days of monitoring the oil leak is gone... I did look over the engine and it appears to be a new valve cover gasket installed, and I checked the oil which is golden in color but it appears to be overfilled. The mechanic seemed to be a nice guy but I am just weary of garages that a dealer sends you to. Any ideas to verify if anything added to the oil or am I just being overly paranoid? Any type of distinct smell or color I could detect any contaminants? Thanks to all who respond!

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
Why would you even suspect a mechanic would put brake fluid in your engine?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I personally think you may just be a little paranoid. Nothing wrong with being assertive with everything your mechanic does, but if there are no more leaks, the gasket is new, and your oil is new, he did what he said he would do.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Why would you even suspect a mechanic would put brake fluid in your engine?
X2. Im not seeing where brake fluid comes into play in this story. :confused:

And I'd look real close to the oil level on the dip stick. I change my own oil and i'll have marks of oil higher up on the dip stick but I do have a solid line of oil at the full mark.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is not brake fluid, it is Brake Parts Cleaner that the mechanic is talking about.

After a procedure like this, it is common to clean the engine compartment up and remove the remains of the oil that had been leaking prior to the repair. It is common to do this cleanup with Brake Parts Cleaner which is a solvent that comes in an aerosol can. After this cleanup, there is often residual dripping which later goes away.

And just to clarify, he cleaned the engine compartment, i.e. the external part of the engine, not the internal part of the engine where the oil goes. Again, this is all coomon and expected. Don't worry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for all your replies, I guess I am just being paranoid, this was on the dealerships dime, and I had not known or heard of the shop they sent the Jeep to... when I pulled the dip stick it smelled a little funny and was overfilled so I guess I just jumped to a stupid conclusion, plus the small drips after the job had been completed sort of freaked me out too. Thanks again guys!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts