Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I sound like a panzy, however, I'll be traveling 5 hours from Houston to LSU next year one way. I'll be back and forth quite a bit actually. My wheeling days as a highschool student are soon over. I refuse to sell my Jeep and move on to something more practical as suggested by Mom and Dad and my girlfriend as well. I need a way to make it more freeway friendly. I don't mind investing as I have saved up quite a it of money. I know first things first, i gotta get full doors and a hard top first and foremost. After that, whatelse can i do to control the climate and noise inside the Jeep. It gets hot as hell after driving for a while inside and it also gets pretty squirrely steering wise too. What can I do? All opinions/suggestions are VERY greatly appreciated so don't be shy! It has a 4inch lift on 33s.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Do you have a proper control arm setup to correct for caster and axle position in the front? What pressure are you running your tires at? Do you have a dropped pitman arm installed? Any other mods?

And... Hotty Toddy!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told to stay away from pitman arm drop, I just have regular shitty pro comp control arms, 35 psi. As far as mods that would affect that, I have currie rok jok coils, bilstien 5100s, stock upper control arms all the way around, procomp non adjustable lower control arms, transfer case drop (idiot before me installed it), regular driveshafts and everything. Stock steering I assume. New steering stabilizer as well.
Right now I'm going to fix my squeaky belt/pulley and I have to replace the clutch before anything else. Then, I am going to move towards adjustable upper control arms as well as a SYE/CV driveshaft to correct all those retarded angles. I need to replace the motor mounts as well. Then I was going to buy full doors and hopefully find a good deal on a hard top as well. As far as climate inside the jeep, I havent a clue why it gets so dang hot inside.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Good job on the no DPA. And drop that pressure down a few to the 28psi range. How are the bushings looking on your CA's? Check your alignment or have it checked by a shop if it hasn't been done in a while.

On the topic of full doors, don't buy the full door unless you are just dying to have a set. Get a set of hard uppers. However, Baton Rouge gets pretty hot so I don't even know if the hardtop is worth it in my opinion. But whatever floats your boat. I know I wouldn't mind driving from the Coast to Oxford (I'm a junior at Ole Miss) with the soft top, I'd rough it especially when we're talking hundreds of dollars, but to each his own.

And is your AC just not working?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
35 psi is way excessive for 33x12.50 tires supporting a vehicle with the weight of a Wrangler. 26-28 psi is appropriate and will improve both the ride and how evenly the tires wear. If your tire's sidewall says 35 psi, that is only the tire's maximum safe pressure... not its appropriate street pressure.

So far as its interior getting hot goes, did you remove the carpeting? If so put it back in to keep the heat of the catalytic converter out. The cat is located directly underneath the driver's side of the front passenger seat.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
35 psi is way excessive for 33x12.50 tires supporting a vehicle with the weight of a Wrangler. 26-28 psi is appropriate and will improve both the ride and to even tire wear. If your tire's sidewall says 35 psi, that is only the tire's maximum safe pressure... not its appropriate street pressure.
Yep just read some posts of yours on another thread so checked mine and they were all at 33.5 so i lowered them to 28 and its so different. Much smoother ride. It absorbs so many of the bumps on the road. Im also running 33x12.5s.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good job on the no DPA. And drop that pressure down a few to the 28psi range. How are the bushings looking on your CA's? Check your alignment or have it checked by a shop if it hasn't been done in a while.

On the topic of full doors, don't buy the full door unless you are just dying to have a set. Get a set of hard uppers. However, Baton Rouge gets pretty hot so I don't even know if the hardtop is worth it in my opinion. But whatever floats your boat. I know I wouldn't mind driving from the Coast to Oxford (I'm a junior at Ole Miss) with the soft top, I'd rough it especially when we're talking hundreds of dollars, but to each his own.

And is your AC just not working?
Ac is working however, it squeals like a rat having its head chopped off until the jeep has been driving for about 20 minutes. It gets so hot in there that the A/C doesnt do much for your legs. Bushings on the control arms seem to be fine. The carpet is currently in the jeep, however i think that taping up where my wires feed through the firewall and replacing both the upper and lower shifting boots may help the situation sincethe lower is torn to shreds and the upper has two holes in the folds. Maybe. ANy other ideas wha may be causing heat and what may be causing my AC to squeal. The jeep squeals when it starts up for about 20 seconds if the a/c is off. On, it will squeal until the jeep is warmed up or about 15- 20 minutes.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'm in the exact same situation except I'll be driving from Houston to San Marcos. Recently what I've done to get my Jeep highway ready.. Replaced shocks with Rancho RS9000XLS, installed SYE and adjustable control arms, fixed my AC freon leak, aligned my steering, and bedlined my floor. Next up I plan to either buy some carpet to keep the heat out or put in some rubber floor mats. I also want to plug up all the holes in my Jeep to keep the AC in. I'm going to go around the interior of my Jeep and secure all loose bolts so nothing rattles. I want to upgrade my steering so its not so loose.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Not sure exactly on the squealing. I have a friend with a Cherokee fighting the same thing right now. The bearings for the AC compressor pulley may be going out. But honestly I haven't dealt with that problem too much. That's just a possible problem I found through a google search a few weeks ago trying to help my friend out. But dealing up those shifter boots might make a difference. I recently monstalined my tun so no carpet for me :D and the trans tunnel gets pretty hot. So I can imagine it could possibly hear the cab up with a messed up boot/no boot at all. And that's a cheap $15 fix anyway that'll make the inside look a little nicer regardless.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I'm in the exact same situation except I'll be driving from Houston to San Marcos. Recently what I've done to get my Jeep highway ready.. Replaced shocks with Rancho RS9000XLS, installed SYE and adjustable control arms, fixed my AC freon leak, aligned my steering, and bedlined my floor. Next up I plan to either buy some carpet to keep the heat out or put in some rubber floor mats. I also want to plug up all the holes in my Jeep to keep the AC in. I'm going to go around the interior of my Jeep and secure all loose bolts so nothing rattles. I want to upgrade my steering so its not so loose.
Just put some floor mats in. Carpet sucks and gets dirty and you can never get it clean. I'm about to toss all of mine. My trans tunnel gets hot along with the spot above the muffler, but it dissipates a negligible amount of heat into the cab.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
This may sound silly, but if I am travelling long distances, get some earplugs or plug into your MP3 with some sound cancelling in the ear earphones.. makes a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm in the same boat, I NEED to be able to travel highway speeds; and I'm also not getting into anything extreme (mostly used lately on nice days to work).

I'm on 33 duratracs, lined tub WITH factory carpets, and a 4.25" zone lift; 65-80mph is no problem. I feel it would be even better with a hardtop, which I do not have (yet...).

As far as your steering goes: stabilizer(s). You can do the research on dampening rates and whatnot which will best suit what you need, but you're limiting sharp movements, which is all you can do (you're not going to change the geometry of the steering).

I'd say to cut on heat and noise get some of the sound deadening material (immitation dynamat) off of eBay in bulk and go wild in the tub; that will cut down some noise and possibly heat. But in the end, if you're droaning, tires will be a sound investment; like I said, I have the duratracs and I don't get the "wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh-wuh" (you get the picture).

Aside from that, I don't expect it to be like my fancy couch-like pickup truck; at the end of the day it's a jeep and I expect a different ride and a *little* noise, but I think mine is definitely tolerable (and the woman thinks so as well <- most important).

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just purchased stick on heatshield from summit racing. I was tired of doing the barefoot dance with no carpets. With the shielding on the underside of the tunnel and the engine side of the firewall I went from not being able to touch the floor to yeah it's warm but not hot. It was less than $75 and took about an hour to install

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I could drive my TJ on 37's across the country comfortably......

Address your suspension and steering and so can you. The height combined with fixed uppers and lowers and crappy bushings all around isn't helping you at all.

·
Registered
59 Posts
i recently got a rip in my lower shift boot and had the same heat issue felt like your legs were in a oven so i replaced the lower shift boot now all is well even without the upper boot

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Had mine 13 years and love it. Had it before I was married and before my son was born. Drove it from ft Bragg NC to St. Louis in one day many times on leave to see family. Drove it from NC to Fairbanks Alaska when I got stationed there. Lastly I drove it from AK to St. Louis when I got out slept in it too didn't stay in a hotel once. Moved to Springfield and drive 4 hours to see family all the time. My favorite upgrades for traveling are my stereo system that can play music from my iPod and iPhone. Couldn't imagine rocking Justin Bieber on Canadian radio for days lol. And my window mounted Garmin GPS. Tells me speed limits on a lot of strange roads and gets me where I'm going easier than a map. Got one though In case I need it. I'm 34 now and my off roading days are far from over. I love my jeep to much. I'm happy driving those long hauls in a vehicle I love. That I can explore an area in when the opportunity arrives. I heard truckers that seen my Ak plate in Mo say they wouldn't drive that distance Over the CB. I just laughed to myself. If you think of it more as a burden than a great adventure vehicle maybe you should sell it. It will never be a Cadillac.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts