Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any windsurfers out there or perhaps something comparable? The reason being, I was curious as to whether or not you have any issues with fitting equipment, either inside the vehicle or on a congo cage type assembly.
Also, do you put the seats down? Or do you find it necessary to take out everything but the driver's?
And if you have a rig, let me know what you've been able to squeeze in and what the best way to go about it is!

Thanks guys : D

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
Our surfboards/kite boards and kites all go on my Garvin rack... in board bags.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi. I have a 2007 jeep wrangler sahara soft top. I also have a Mistral Competition board circa .. who knows. one windsurfer recently told me my board belongs in a museum. It's a longboard. very long and heavy. sometimes I call it the beast. anyway, taking the soft top down and using the roll bar as a roof rack works great when it's not raining; however, yesterday it was raining. the wind was blowing though, so I wanted to go windsurfing. I tried loading the board inside angled nose down into the foot space of the passenger side, seat reclined, headrest removed. it stuck out pretty far in the back with the window rolled open. the edge of the board also rubbed up next to my gear shift when in the drive position. I decided it wasn't a great idea to attempt driving this way, so no windsurfing. I was ready to order a roof rack immediately. to save myself from making a rash order though, I took a drive to the beach to watch the wind instead. I slept on the idea, and now I'm here trying to find out more info on what would be the best option. I found a rack that I've been debating for awhile... the congo cage. does anyone have any experience with this? I don't have covered parking so I'm constantly putting the soft top up and down. I need a rack that will be soft top friendly. as for the rest of my gear, I have two sails, one boom, and my mast that I lay across my passenger seat in the reclined position. it all fits inside the jeep. my only current issue is carrying my board with the soft top on. thanks for any help! -jL

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it sounds to me like there's slim pickings in terms of space for boards, unless you put them on the roof (which I want to avoid doing so my MPG doesn't decrease). And ya, that does sound like an ancient board, lol. I'm used to having nothing but 90-120L slalom (short) boards.
The whole soft top being off thing is a great idea, but I can never predict the rain and I'll have a hard-top on if anything.
Might have to go with the Ford Flex for my gear! : (

And CG3....I really like the look of those garvin racks, specifically the adventure type. Does this type of rack require drilling into the actual chassis?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Soft roof rack will be your best option if you need to keep your top up - I have an FCS soft rack that goes on top of my soft top to carry a couple of 10 ft SUPs - works great - with top down just strap to your bars

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lanai, do you have any images available to share? I'm not sure exactly how you'd load a board on top of a soft top without a rack. Is it okay to put weight on the soft top cross bar (in the middle of the top). It doesn't seem sturdy enough to support the weight of my board. Where do you put the soft rack pads? Thanks for your help and feedback.

·
no retreat, no surrender
975 Posts
Hey... some of the racks require drilling (mine did) and some of them don't. Call the company and ask... it's a family owned business, and they are always happy to help. Their phone number is on their website...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts